kayumanggi

Thursday Numbers: 3.80 M THE MARTIAN | 1.30 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II

3.8M puts Martian on course for about a 30M 2nd weekend. I think neither Gravity (due to insane holds and IMAX), nor Interstellar (due to crazy holds thanks to holidays) are the right comparison for it. I think it will skew closely to Rogue Nation, both have the same OW numbers almost, great reviews and a lack of competition. If Martian manages 30M 2nd weekend, it will be a fight to get to 200M especially looking at how crowded November is in terms of event movies.

3.8M puts Martian on course for about a 30M 2nd weekend. I think neither Gravity (due to insane holds and IMAX), nor Interstellar (due to crazy holds thanks to holidays) are the right comparison for it. I think it will skew closely to Rogue Nation, both have the same OW numbers almost, great reviews and a lack of competition. If Martian manages 30M 2nd weekend, it will be a fight to get to 200M especially looking at how crowded November is in terms of event movies.

That's a fair analysis, although I hope holidays in both US and Canada mean we're underestimating The Martian this weekend.

Rogue Nation is about to finish with a 3.5 multiplier. That's excellent for an action flick. If The Martian plays more like a late year "mature audience" movie it's multiplier could be even better, but the jury's still out. In particular, its WOM needs to catch on with older women. Gravity's insane holds relied in part on that quadrant.