baumer

Baumer's Top 50 of 2015 5) Creed 4) Jurassic World 3) Trumbo 2) It Follows...number one on pg 13

36) True Story: Some stories are beyond belief

Not my review, but sums up how I feel about it:

True Story is about a recently discredited journalist, Mike Frankel,played by Jonah Hill who learns his name was used as an alias by Christian Longo, played by James Franco, a man accused of killing his wife and three children. Thinking this could be just the break he needed, Frankel contacts Longo. Frankel finds that him and Longo share much more in common than the name. For instance, they both doodle on paper, and both have a mutual, but unsurprising distrust for one another. Frankel soon finds what initially seemed to be an open and shut case IS actually in fact an open and shut case. Longo is clearly guilty, and there is nothing extraordinary or particularly interesting about the trial. No gray areas, no reasonable doubt, just your garden variety defendant lying through his teeth. Still desperate to revive his career, Frankel must create a story out of thin air. He chooses to go the "emotional connection" route, most likely because it is impossible to disprove someone's feelings. During his brief meetings with Longo at the country jail, Frankel would write he developed an affinity towards Longo. Even though Longo constantly lied to Frankel, and was responsible for the death of his wife and three young children, he chose to use Frankel's name while on the lam, and that simple truth forged a bond between these two men that transcended rationality. It would be impossible for anyone who is not named Mike Frankel to comprehend the depth of their friendship. Frankel's ability to create a story when there is absolutely no story to be told is a true credit to his literary genius.

Trivia:  Based on a true story.

Jonah Hill punched a wall in the film and this required him to go to the hospital.

true-story-james-franco-jonah-hill.jpg

• Like 3

Here's four of the next eight coming up:

Jack Benteen and Johnny Hooker go for a stroll

The grandparents are fucked up

Gandhi is sick so he plays God

What do Han Solo and Deadpool have in common?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, In the Heart of the Tree said:

Colin Firth is a Catholic whore, so is his black jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic...

Hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon, baumer.

That's one of the best lines of the year.

And I had no idea someone else actually saw True Story. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

Here's four of the next eight coming up:

Jack Benteen and Johnny Hooker go for a stroll

The grandparents are fucked up

Gandhi is sick so he plays God

What do Han Solo and Deadpool have in common?

A Walk in the Woods

The Visit

Self/less

Dunno about #4

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Does #4 involve a robot?

If you are referring to Ex Machina, I haven't seen that film.

So no it does not.  

It's actually a very clever hint and when the film is revealed, you'll piece it together. :)

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

If you are referring to Ex Machina, I haven't seen that film.

So no it does not.  

It's actually a very clever hint and when the film is revealed, you'll piece it together. :)

I wasn't. But maybe you didn't see the movie I'm thinking of... which does have a TFA/Deadpool connection. :thinking:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I wasn't. But maybe you didn't see the movie I'm thinking of... which does have a TFA/Deadpool connection. :thinking:

Well, the film I'm speaking of definitely doesn't have a robot in it.

It's a period piece sort of.  

Ok...final hint before bed.

The main actor in this film has a smaller role in The Town and there is another actor in the film who has a famous role as a drug user which also made my list of 25 films that brainwashed people into thinking they liked these films.

:rofl:

• Like 2