baumer

Baumer's Top 50 of 2015 5) Creed 4) Jurassic World 3) Trumbo 2) It Follows...number one on pg 13

Selena Gomez and a world renowned chef.....lol.....this movie is fucking awesome.

It totally needed to break the fourth wall to make this work...too much esoterica.

• Like 2

50) Point Break:  The only law that matters is gravity

Point Break is an unnecessary remake of a somewhat good film from Katheryn Bigelow.  Unnecessary as it may be, it does a lot of things right.  The story itself moves a little too quickly and it doesn't take enough time to let us get to know some of the characters, but really, this film is more more interested in filming the impossible than it is giving us well fleshed out characters.  And it works quite well from an adrenaline junkie point of view.  There are more than 150 people who worked on the stunts, visual effects and special effects.  You asked why this film cost more than 100 million.  Well there is your answer.  The opening scene of this film left me breathless.  The stunts they managed to perform, mixed in with the effects team, left me feeling tense, nervous, afraid for the actors and simply in awe.  I don't think the performances were all that great and as I mentioned the story needed some work but they clearly put more of their concentration on making you feel like you are there or you are least watching these fucking crazy fools do this stuff up close and personal.  Point Break is far from great, but it's not nearly as bad as the box office makes it out to be.  

trivia:  Teresa Palmer did most of her own stunts and even named her first child Bodhi, after the character in the movie.

Some of the best athletes in the world worked on this film to make the stunts look authentic....this included world champion sky divers, skiiers and skateboarders.

1280x720-7g-.png

49) Terminator Genisys:  The rules have been reset

A film that could have been so much better and yet it had some really well thought out ideas.  Arnold still looks comfortable in the role and Jai Courtney is actually quite good in here.  I was a little disappointed with the T-800 fight with 1984 Arnold and 2015 Arnold as it could have been so much better.  But the story, although a little too giberish at times, really compliments the first two films quite well.  It does help to have a fairly decent cast as well although I thought Jason Clark was miscast as John Connor.  

Trivia:  Arnold was the exact same weight in this film as he was in Terminator 3

JK Simmons is rumoured to have improvised most of his role.

jacket-of-arnold-schwarzenegger-from-ter

• Like 4

48) We Are Your Friends:  Are we ever going to be any better than this?

A film that is the butt end of everyone's jokes simply for it's laughable box office take.  But if you are like me and have gone through this kind of lifestyle, this film is refreshing and it accurately displays a lot of what I have experienced and for that I give it high marks.  Zac Efron is Cole, a young DJ trying to make it big in the world of EDM (electronic dance music).  He has talent but no soul.  He believes that because most music is made up of sampling others, that is the only way to go.  Then he meets James, played by Wes Bentley.  James is a world renowned DJ who has kind of forgotten what got him to where he is but can still teach Cole a thing or two.  Of course there has to be a love interest to create conflict and there you have the ridiculously beautiful Emily Ratajkowski.  Where the film excels is getting us into the world of EDM.  It doesn't take you to the big venues like Ibiza and it doesn't mention a lot of the bigger acts like Tiesto and Deadmause and so on but it does give you a taste of what the scene is like and there is a brilliant and completely original bit about how the DJ slowly but deliberately controls his fans on the dance floor through the beats and crescendoes he produces.  It's a truly accurate explanation and I've never seen anything like it in film before.  WAYF is not a great film, but it's a pretty decent one.

Trivia:  Zac Efron spent two months learning how to spin and he got lessons from world renowned DJ's like DJ Alesso

640_zac_efron_we_are_your_friends_movie.

47) Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension:  You can't save them all.  All you can do is watch

The producers promised this would answer all the questions that were left dangling from the other films.  And they kept that promise.  Katie and Kristi are shown as youngsters basically being controlled by a cult who believed in witchcraft and spent years trying to perfect their abilities.  What has always made the Paranormal films work for me is the scares.  Sometimes it takes a while to get to them, but when they do, they are jump out of your seat scary.  There's the bedroom scene in the first, the kitchen scene in the second and the knife scene in the third.  This one continues that tradition with a few scenes that make you jump.  It also continues the story of Hunter and his imaginary friend Toby.  I left the theater satisfied with all the answers they gave us and as long as they don't go back on their word and make another, I think this is a good way to close out the series.  

Trivia:  The only Paranormal film where adult Katie does not appear

This was originally slated for a release in 2013

promotional-still-from-paranormal-activi

• Like 3

46) The Lazarus Effect:  Evil will Rise  The first of two Olivia Wilde films to make the list (the next one will be much much higher). The Lazarus Effect is a nice little horror film that does a lot of things right.  The 82 minute run time is just long enough to deliver an adrenaline loaded romp into mad science meets hell.  The horror story does not disappoint and even the characters are well fleshed out.  This is a story about the perils of playing God and taking his work into our hands.  It's a variation of the Frankenstein story and it has enough scares in here to please the die hard horror fan.  It's no secret that horror is my favourite genre so I'm more prone to have them on this list, but this imo is one of the good horror films of the year.

Trivia:  The title obviously comes from the Biblical story about Lazarus who was dead for four days and then resurrected.

201507070905_the-lazarus-effect-2.jpg

45) The Hateful Eight:  No one comes up here without a damn good reason

I enjoyed Hateful Eight but I didn't love it like Tarantino's other great films.  This is Tarantino being as Tarantino as you can get.  There is too much dialogue, too many scenes that don't really seem to go anywhere and it's overly long and they cast Tim Roth when they should have gotten Christoph Waltz.  I did however enjoy Samuel Jackson, Jennifer Jason Leigh and especially Walton Goggins.  He steals every scene he's in and he was the best part of the movie.  Tarantino does a lot of good in the film as well and the score is beautiful.  It's not that I didn't like this film because I did, I just thought that it could have been better and the run time was completely self indulgent and it could have been cut down by at least 15 minutes.

Trivia:   There are three subtle references to Django Unchained in the film. First, when we meet Major Warren, he is sitting on top of 3 corpses and a saddle. This saddle was previously owned by Django and the second is in Minnie's Haberdashery. Sitting on the floor of the haberdashery is Django's green corduroy jacket. Both of these references have been confirmed by Samuel L. Jackson. Also, Walton Goggins' character is called a 'hillbilly' in both films.

hateful-eight-dern-russel-leigh.jpg

• Like 4

One quick one while I am on break:

44) The Secret in their Eyes: Don't Look Away

I'm a sucker for a good revenge flick and this is one of the better ones.  Blessed with a terrific cast which includes Julia Roberts, Chiwetel Oijifor and Nicole Kidman, this is a film that is kind of a slow burn.  Julia Roberts character loses her daughter to a psycho to murdered her and then dumped her naked body in a downtown dumpster.  Roberts and her partner, Ejiofor are both detectives, obviously they had no idea the body they were called upon to investigate would be Robert's daughter.  The film then skips to "many years" later and both of them are still scarred by the experience.  He is obsessed with finding the killer, which up until now has basically been a ghost and Roberts is just kind of numb.  Add in Nicole Kidman who plays the political side of things and you have three excellent performances which add to the quality of the film.  Where the film will divide some viewers is how it all ends.  I loved it because although the situation that is presented to us is a little unrealistic, it is also what every parent would want to see happen, if they had lost one of their children.  All in all, it's a very good film with some nice tight direction, a good script and three terrific performances from Oscar nominated actors.  

Trivia:  Julia Roberts sent Nicole Kidman asking her to do the film with her.

Julia Robert's mother passed away during the filming and she returned to work 5 days later.

14247924323421.jpg

• Like 2

The next 6:

(Not in any order)

Olaf gets married

Cole Trickle goes rogue

Can't kill a dog....can't work for us

Don Coleone owns a garage

Sergeant Epps is afraid of heights

Heather Miller in a bikini might have caused an earthquake

• Like 1

43) Joy:

Joy has a very uneven and quite frankly poor first twenty minutes.  Then Bradley Cooper shows up and the film gets much better.  But as another poster commented on here in the review section, the family in this doesn't talk like any other family you know and it takes you right out of the film.  Fortunately once the film starts concentrating on Joy's TV life and less on the silly family dynamic, it becomes a much better film.  I'm not quite sure why JLAW is being considered for awards this year.  She's good in this but imo there are at least 10 other female performances this year that are better.

Trivia:  This is the fourth collaboration between Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert DeNiro and David O' Russell.

01-jennifer-lawrence-as-joy.jpg

• Like 1