BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Ghibli's involved. It's kind of a big deal.

Got to admit, it does have OSCAR written all over it, from what I've read.

But how much is Ghibli involved? Or more specifically Miyazaki, I tend to be a bit more miss with non Miyazaki Ghibli films.

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Got to admit, it does have OSCAR written all over it, from what I've read.

But how much is Ghibli involved? Or more specifically Miyazaki, I tend to be a bit more miss with non Miyazaki Ghibli films.

Miyazaki wanted Michaël Dudok de Wit to make a feature with Ghibli, and it happened. The animation itself is by Ghibli.

TURTLE opens with the Ghibli logo and the head of Ghibli took the stage when it premiered at Cannes. He got a 10-min ovation. And a big team from Japan was there. So yea, it's a lock. And SPC is also behind it. It's an astonishing piece of art. Leaves you thinking a lot. And it has the best animated shot of the year midway thru the film (the wave scene).

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

The nominations themselves will come from the Academy's Animation branch. Presumably experts, but probably also a lot of Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks employees making choices. BTW, here's a list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VqIT-wz6Mh33787RiD89SnCG9wA_s6RrRlRTm8mYBGE/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

That's interesting, I didn't know that the list of members was even partially available. Too bad we don't know who was invited before 2004.

Any chances Sausage Party had of getting a nomination died once the word about unpaid and uncredited animators got out.

And now that the reviews for Kubo are coming in, it seems pretty safe to assume it's a lock for a nom (even if it wasn't a lock before because it's stop motion.)

It's still a tight race to try to fill up five slots, though. I count seven hopefuls.

Zootopia

Kubo

The Red Turtle

Finding Dory

The Little Prince

April and the Extraordinary World

Moana

Something's gotta give. Moana's chances are down to quality and reception. It's got a really high bar to pass to get there. I suppose if it manages to become something of a zeitgeist it'll be easier. We'll have to see. Regardless, there's going to be some disappointment.

35 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Any chances Sausage Party had of getting a nomination died once the word about unpaid and uncredited animators got out.

Nah, I don't think it hurt its chances. It wasn't that strong of a contender. The real killer is Kubo's reviews.

Also, The Little Prince and April and the Extraordinary World are the ones most likely to get snubbed. Moana would have to be mediocre in order to not get nominated.

Edited by cannastop

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Nah, I don't think it hurt its chances. It wasn't that strong of a contender. The real killer is Kubo's reviews.

Also, The Little Prince and April and the Extraordinary World are the ones most likely to get snubbed. Moana would have to be mediocre in order to not get nominated.

The nominees are chosen by the animation branch. That the film snubbed animators is absolutely the death knell. Yes, it was already a longshot, because anything below ultra-high budget computer animation isn't likely to get there, but any dream it had wasn't gone due to Kubo (which could probably get a nod even with merely good reviews.)

And Moana is going to have to be a hell of a lot better than mediocre. If, when the animation branch comes down to a decision, and they've got two WDAS films to consider, both of them absolutely gorgeous and one of them a critical juggernaut, well, the other had better be right in that same conversation of excellence before they decide it doesn't measure up.

You're right that Little Prince is probably on the snubbing block, if only because of the distributor woes. Netflix might push it hard, but Netflix is still a massive outsider, so it may not mean much.

Actually, now that I consider it, I'm pretty sure that one of the big Disney 3 is going to miss. In every year when there have been 5 nominees there's only been one where three computer animated films got the nod: 2013, which was arguably a weak year overall. This year is decidedly not weak, and there's ample evidence that the animation branch really likes to give recognition to the smaller films that use other techniques.

(Weirdly, there were several years with only 3 nominees where all three were computer animated.)

I'd almost start to wonder if they could use that, and the fact that the winner tends to just be the highest grossing of the nominees, to tactically choose them. Pick the one big film that they like best for a nom to get the win, and then fill up the other four slots with the smaller fare they think are deserving recognition.

Zootopia or Moana or Dory

The Red Turtle

April and the Extraordinary World

Kubo and the Two Strings

The Little Prince

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

That the film snubbed animators is absolutely the death knell. Yes, it was already a longshot, because anything below ultra-high budget computer animation isn't likely to get there, but any dream it had wasn't gone due to Kubo (which could probably get a nod even with merely good reviews.)

This.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@DamienRoc

I don't think those are meaningful trends. It's not like there are 100 animated features to choose from every year.

It just so happens that 2016 is the first year where there are a combined 3 movies from Pixar and WDAS. I think at least two of them are going to get nominated.

You're saying that like there's some predisposition in the animation branch towards WDAS and Pixar. I don't think that's the case at all.

5 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

You're saying that like there's some predisposition in the animation branch towards WDAS and Pixar. I don't think that's the case at all.

There's a predisposition to WDAS and Pixar when their movies are good. Also, plenty of academy members are associated with WDAS and Pixar.

You're being just a bit silly, in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

There's a predisposition to WDAS and Pixar when their movies are good. Also, plenty of academy members are associated with WDAS and Pixar.

You're being just a bit silly, in my opinion.

The Academy has previous snubbed WDAS and Pixar. 2013, MU (admittedly mid-tier at best for Pixar, but still some amazing animation) loses a nom to both The Croods and DM2. In 2010, Tangled, despite some revolutionary work on the hair animation, misses a nom. While Cars 2 missing in 2011 makes a fair bit of sense, since it got critically reviled, Cars itself missing in 2005 doesn't as much.

Yes, there are many people in the academy who are associated with Disney, but they very often aren't exclusively associated as such. Animators move around from job to job and studio to studio. They people voting aren't going to think "Hey, I worked at Disney once, therefore they MUST get three of my choices!"

Also, at this point we have a huge question mark. You seem to be taking it as a given that Moana is going to be good enough for a nom. I'm not. (

7 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

The Academy has previous snubbed WDAS and Pixar. 2013, MU (admittedly mid-tier at best for Pixar, but still some amazing animation) loses a nom to both The Croods and DM2. In 2010, Tangled, despite some revolutionary work on the hair animation, misses a nom. While Cars 2 missing in 2011 makes a fair bit of sense, since it got critically reviled, Cars itself missing in 2005 doesn't as much.

2013: Monsters University wasn't that great.

2010: Only 3 nominees.

C'mon. Way different circumstances than what we have now.

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

2013: Monsters University wasn't that great.

2010: Only 3 nominees.

C'mon. Way different circumstances than what we have now.

Neither was DM2. And as much as I like The Croods, it's not like there's an argument to be made for it standing vastly ahead of MU. Or perhaps even slightly ahead.

You're right that the circumstances are different, because right now we have a TON of really good films to consider. That, IMO, makes it less likely three Disney branded ones get through as nominees, not more.