BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

golden globes aren't as kind to foreign animated pictures as the academy so the zucchini nom is very good for it. I say switch sing w/ red turtle and that line-up 4 oscars makes sense.

Outside of Kubo, Zootopia and Moana, I'm not really sure about anything in terms of Oscar noms.

Honestly, I won't be super surprised if even Moana misses a nomination. We could get a situation like last year where there's one blockbuster and four smaller films. 

Zootopia and Kubo are shoe-ins. The other three slots have Moana, Dory, Turtle, Zucchini, and Your Name to fight it out. In any other year I'd say that April and Little Prince would also have a shot, but they probably lost their push a while ago. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Morieris said:

What happened to Phantom Boy? It had an insanely limited release in the US apparently, I'd expect it to at least be in periphery conversation, especially produced by the same studio as a Cat in Paris

Overall critical reception indicates it's not a contender. Average rating of 7.0/10 on RT, total of 44 reviews. Could have been a contender in other years, not this year.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@Jason

Do you have any plans on doing some awesome analyis of all the awards and how they indicate the winner of the Oscar?

Hmm. I don't think there's a large enough data set to make it worth trying to develop a predictive model for the Oscar winner based on the "precursor" awards. I could make lists for the awards that didn't have Wikipedia articles, but from what I've seen so far it seems those ones don't go back very far. Also, no model based purely off of the precursor awards could have predicted Big Hero 6's win. Although it would probably show that year was a toss-up with no likely winner since the precursor favorite wasn't even nominated.

However, from a cursory analysis of the awards so far, I can say that it is quite unusual for the populist-leaning CCMAs to agree with both of the more independent-minded NYFCC and TFCC. The only year that has happened before is 2008, WALL-E.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lolifofo said:

The only other time a Pixar movie was not nominated for a best animated feature Golden Globe was 2013's Monsters University. Even Cars 2 and the Good Dinosaur both got nominations. This is indeed surprising. 

MU being the previous Pixar to be snubbed instead of Cars 2 and TGD is pretty surprising in itself, so the Globes are just being consistent? :P 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Honestly, I won't be super surprised if even Moana misses a nomination. We could get a situation like last year where there's one blockbuster and four smaller films. 

Zootopia and Kubo are shoe-ins. The other three slots have Moana, Dory, Turtle, Zucchini, and Your Name to fight it out. In any other year I'd say that April and Little Prince would also have a shot, but they probably lost their push a while ago. 

I too won't be shocked. Previous nominations have tended to recognize as many studios as possible in a single year, so I can see five different studios getting just one nomination each, including WDAS. 

• Like 1

The CFCA awarded ParaNorman in 2012 and The Wind Rises in 2013, I was expecting them to go for Kubo.

Of the local critics associations in the sample I looked at for patterns from previous years, only two left: St. Louis (this Sunday) and Florida (next week?). Expecting at least SLFCA to award Zootopia.

Edited by Jason