Money Monster (2016)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Money Monster (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Overly familiar but well-made thriller from Jodie Foster, aided by a great cast (George Clooney is as likable as ever, Julia Roberts makes the most of a role where she's stuck in a control booth for most of the movie, and Jack O'Connell continues to impress despite an uneven accent). B

Edited by filmlover

I didnt see this movie yet.  I want to read an online synopsis that actually makes sense.    The wikipedia page made no sense.  Investors lost $800 stock value?  did they buy shares from other shareholders?  or was it an Initial public offering?   The company could not possibly steal $800 million if it was not a new issue of stock.   The wikipedia page says the company CEO bribed a South African union with $800 in stock.   The wikipedia explanation is not helping matters.    If the CEO bribed with stock, then  the CEO didnt actually steal money.  he stole stock.  which is it? did he steal money? or did he steal stock?  the investors still would have the stock, even if it was worthless.  Theres no cash to steal, if the investors were buying shares of stock from other investors.    Even if the shares crashed, the investors still own the stock, so what stock would the CEO be using to make a bribe? ...the wikipedia page says the company promised to invest $800 million in the new mine.   That makes no sense.   Who is investing in the new mine?  Are the union officials investing their bribe money???     Is the CEO investing in the new mine?   I went to college!  Im not a CPA but I have a basic understanding of stocks and bonds.    Jodie Foster needs to apologize to the general public for this movie.  She directed this mess.   This mess of a movie apparently makes no sense.    Somebody contradict me please.  Show me how this makes sense.   show me the sequence of events.  Trace the money.    The trailers for the movie show a character saying "trace the money."   Can somebody make sense of this movie?

23 hours ago, movie1968 said:

I didnt see this movie yet.  I want to read an online synopsis that actually makes sense.    The wikipedia page made no sense.  Investors lost $800 stock value?  did they buy shares from other shareholders?  or was it an Initial public offering?   The company could not possibly steal $800 million if it was not a new issue of stock.   The wikipedia page says the company CEO bribed a South African union with $800 in stock.   The wikipedia explanation is not helping matters.    If the CEO bribed with stock, then  the CEO didnt actually steal money.  he stole stock.  which is it? did he steal money? or did he steal stock?  the investors still would have the stock, even if it was worthless.  Theres no cash to steal, if the investors were buying shares of stock from other investors.    Even if the shares crashed, the investors still own the stock, so what stock would the CEO be using to make a bribe? ...the wikipedia page says the company promised to invest $800 million in the new mine.   That makes no sense.   Who is investing in the new mine?  Are the union officials investing their bribe money???     Is the CEO investing in the new mine?   I went to college!  Im not a CPA but I have a basic understanding of stocks and bonds.    Jodie Foster needs to apologize to the general public for this movie.  She directed this mess.   This mess of a movie apparently makes no sense.    Somebody contradict me please.  Show me how this makes sense.   show me the sequence of events.  Trace the money.    The trailers for the movie show a character saying "trace the money."   Can somebody make sense of this movie?

Full spoilers

http://www.themoviespoiler.com/2016Spoilers/MoneyMonster.html

IDK, just watched and thought it was OK for the first 30 minutes or so but then went off the deep end of ludicrousy (not even sure that's a word) in the third act. The performances were fine (although anybody could've played Roberts' role) but I couldn't have cared less about Kyle, heck, I kind of agreed with his wife...

**¾/*****, (C, 5.6/10, 2.25/4)