Kevin Bacon

Mr. Robot (USA)

Pretty shocked there wasn't a thread for this, please delete/merge if I missed it.

So the season dos finale is coming up on Wednesday, and despite the corny-ass marketing and being on USA (the king of corny-ass cable dramas) I watched this due to the glowing critical praise and it was all earned. Slowly established itself as a great show over the course of the first season, and this second season... as with the first season, the writing isn't on the level of shows like The Americans and Better Call Saul, but in every other way, bar none the coolest fucking show on TV. The direction, the sound design and editing, the best soundtrack on TV (no small feat with Fargo around), the cinematography; the show has such a distinct, engrossing, cinematic style the likes of which I haven't seen on TV since Breaking Bad. Not to mention Rami Malek is flat-out terrific in the lead role.

Many have taken issue with the foray into all-out psychological thriller and prefer the hacking caper of the first season, but count me not among them. I actually think the bulk of any issues the season has were found in the mid-late season episodes transitioning back into the cyberthriller tone, as opposed to the Elliot-centric early episodes.

Edited by Kevin Bacon
  • Like 1

I also have loved it this year. I watch it with headphones on and each episode is such an experience. I haven't seen anything on TV ratchet up as much tension and anxiety as this does.

And if this goes in the direction where some have theorized in a couple days, I will be really satisfied because I find that idea insanely interesting (and it cannot be debunked by modern science). I loved the episodes this season that dealt with existential questions. I thought they did a great job of balancing that side of the show with a tight spy thriller as the season progressed.

The show has such amazing characters and memorable antagonists. It's not like something on the network channels and I appreciate those cinematic values so much. It's always a treat to see how they will pull off the opening title scroll every week.

This shows not for everyone. It's not something that you can watch distracted. And even if you pay attention, it will probably leave you confused at times. But there is no denying that it is unlike anything else on TV.

And I'm so stoked Rami Malek won that Emmy. Absolutely deserved it.

Edited by somebody85