Gopher

The Official Box Office Theory's Favorite Movies of 2009 List!

Here we go again... again. City Island- 1 Perrier's Bounty- 1 The Lovely Bones- 2 Summer Wars- 2 Drag Me to Hell- 3 It's Complicated- 3 Bruno- 4 An Education- 4 Julie & Julia- 4Just Another Love Story- 4 The Proposal- 4 The Blind Side- 5 The Damned United- 5 Tormented- 5 Adventureland- 6 Get Low- 6 Bad Lieutenant- 8 Brothers- 8Best Worst Movie- 10 Knowing- 10 Law Abiding Citizen- 10 Mary and Max- 10Saw VI- 10 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- 11 The Hangover- 11 Sin Nombre- 11 The Road- 12 Sherlock Holmes- 12 Adam- 13 Where the Wild Things Are- 13 The White Ribbon- 13 Bronson- 14 The Brothers Bloom- 14 A Town Called Panic- 16 Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire- 19 Black Dynamite- 21 I Love You, Man- 21 The Cove- 24 Taken- 24 Zombieland- 27 The Messenger- 28

15 (tie). A Serious Man / A Single Man (30 points, 3 lists each)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two similarly titled films not only tied with BOT users, but they were two of the best movies of 2009- Single Man for its inspired visuals and terrific lead performance in Colin Firth, and Serious Man for its brilliant, unique Coen wit.

14. Coraline (34 points, 4 lists)

Posted Image

Henry Selick's creepy stop-motion pic lost a lot of steam in its second half, when the ominous, delightful little movie's narrative fell apart. But it's still worth a watch- I love how in stop motion you can literally see the fingerprints of the animators, and this movie definitely feels like a labor of love.

12. Star Trek (35 points, 6 lists)

Posted Image

Sure, the screenplay isn't outstanding- what do you expect from the guys responsible for Transformers 2?- but this is a very fun action adventure with a terrific ensemble. Plus, it made Star Trek cool again. I hope Abrams lets the cast play off each other in next year's sequel as well as they did here.

11. Avatar (36 points, 5 lists)

Posted Image

Look, blue person!

I'd bet money if we tried this two years ago, James Cameron would have made it to the top of this list. But Avatar, even more so than Titanic, hasn't held up that well. I blame 3D, because I'm not about to go into the film's story problems.

9. Watchmen (58 points, 9 lists)

Posted Image

Plenty of people didn't like this movie (just look at its box office legs), but as a fan of the graphic novel and a closet fan of 300, I kind of loved Snyder's visual take on Watchmen. The first 15 minutes and Dr. Manhattan's origin story are two of my favorite scenes of 2009.

• Like 1

3. (500) DAYS OF SUMMER (84 points, 9 lists)

Posted Image

I have equally massive crushes on Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt, so this movie would have been an obvious go from the start for me. But what makes (500) Days of Summer memorable is how Marc Webb plays around with the romantic comedy genre. Its originality create the sense that this movie really knows what it's like to be in 'love'.

• Like 1

1. Inglourious Basterds (128 points, 10 lists)

Posted Image

Does Inglourious Basterds really have a point? Beyond proving how much we love war movies, not really. Maybe that's the point itself. This is a really big movie, in scope and ambition, and Quentin Tarantino's masterful, brilliant composition of genres makes for a rollicking good time. The middle hour and a half is terrific, but the first and last half hour include some of my favorite moments in all of film.