John Rambo

Rocky IV (1985)

Stallone reached peak after Rocky 4 release he was the top most actor with 2 300m grossers in same year! Not a easy task then but surprisingly both grossed 300m with few thousand dollars apart! 

Rocky 4 grossed 127m Dom and 173 OS! This was Stallone's top grossing movie in Japan with  ¥4.75 billion ($30.5 million) until Cliffhanger which was no 1 movie of 1994 in Japan with a gross of ¥6.40 billion ($ 62.1 million).

Rocky 4 had marginal increase in its Dom gross compared to Rocky 3(125m) whereas its OS gross had good increase compared to rocky 3 which grossed 145m! 

Rocky 4 was when downtrend of rocky series began! 

Discuss :) 

• Like 2

Stallone had reached the top of the mountain! 

Rambo 2 proved to be a big hit at the beginning of the summer movie season! And was the best debut of 1985!

Rocky IV went to the Holiday season, unlike Rocky III which was released in the summer of 1982. Rocky IV proved to be the one everyone knows, and had the song  "Living In America" by James Brown attached to it. And word of mouth doing great, it was no problem that this was going to be another hit for Stallone. 

But 1985 was a milestone that Stallone would probably unfortunately never see again, as he had two films in one year gross over $100 million. Because after that, Stallone didn't have really any hits. Cobra did ok but couldn't even make $50 million. Over The Top flopped. Rambo III underperformed. Lock Up underperformed. Tango & Cash made some $$$. Oscar, and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot did flop or modest business. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 4:36 PM, Maxmoser3 said:

Stallone had reached the top of the mountain! 

Rambo 2 proved to be a big hit at the beginning of the summer movie season! And was the best debut of 1985!

Rocky IV went to the Holiday season, unlike Rocky III which was released in the summer of 1982. Rocky IV proved to be the one everyone knows, and had the song  "Living In America" by James Brown attached to it. And word of mouth doing great, it was no problem that this was going to be another hit for Stallone. 

But 1985 was a milestone that Stallone would probably unfortunately never see again, as he had two films in one year gross over $100 million. Because after that, Stallone didn't have really any hits. Cobra did ok but couldn't even make $50 million. Over The Top flopped. Rambo III underperformed. Lock Up underperformed. Tango & Cash made some $$$. Oscar, and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot did flop or modest business. 

Yea most of them as u mentioned suit the DOM scenarios! 

But its the other way in OS. 

Cobra grossed 160M WW on 25 budget

Over the top DOM 16M and i saw some article which mentioned it did well OS and its WW is 60M on 25m Budget. Infact it crossed 10M in Japan. 

Lock Up yes flop in USA no idea about OS gross!

Tango was solid for stallone it grossed more than Rambo III in USA. I read somewhere it grossed 120M WW on a 55M budget!

Oscar was again DOM underperformer. No idea about OS gross but in germany it had less then 500k admissions thats sums it up as stallone was draw in germany with min of 1million admissions for most of his movies!

Stop or my mom will shoot! another Dom misfire but it did cross the 1m admission barrier in germany based on this it might have done well in OS to recoup its budget!

Edited by John Rambo
  • Like 1

I simply loved Rambo and Rocky IV.  1985 was one of my favourite movie going years.....Commando, Back to the Future, Goonies....all terrific films.

• Like 2