John Marston

Half Blood Prince - 250m budget, why?

Hard to tell how close to the truth those numbers are, but looking at the release date maybe it became more and more costly for WB to keep people away from the DVD revenues participation and had to accept into bigger money in advance.

If you look at the negative cost/advance line here:

http://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/

We can assume than those movie ended costing them over 300m in generals anyway and it could have just changed when it did...

• Like 1

Budget went up cause WB had negotiated the trio’s salary only for 5 movies. When the sixth movie came, they had to renegotiate the contracts, and the three actors had a loooooot leverage. I even remember rumors Watson threatening to not do the following movies.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Goffe said:

Budget went up cause WB had negotiated the trio’s salary only for 5 movies. When the sixth movie came, they had to renegotiate the contracts, and the three actors had a loooooot leverage. I even remember rumors Watson threatening to not do the following movies.

Sound like a rumor to me, according to Heyman in interviews no one was signed for more than the first 2 movie being a really big surprise success and franchise not being the norm back then, even the Twilight trio was signed just for the first movie.

And I doubt you could sign young child (as young as 10 year's old) for that long and for those contract to hold up in court anyway if they want to break them year's later.

The kids were pretty much signed one movie at a time for all the series according to him. And apparently the big negotiation issue with Watson was school time not salary.

He talk about it in this one if I remember correctly: