WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I was going to say "CU could have benefited more from being released ten years ago next year," but besides maybe being ahead of the pack for some random animated stuff coming out (TF is Amusement Park?), it might have been a minimal difference, or even worse. 

It was the last film of theirs Fox distributed. Maybe they just wanted to be done with it.

I suspect Fox didn't care for CU hence why it got released against Wonder Woman. 

Amusement Park, which is from Paramount Animation has been delayed to 2019. Interestingly 2018 the first year in a long time that there is no DWA or Blue Sky film and also no Illumination film in the summer. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

I suspect Fox didn't care for CU hence why it got released against Wonder Woman. 

Amusement Park, which is from Paramount Animation has been delayed to 2019. Interestingly 2018 the first year in a long time that there is no DWA or Blue Sky film and also no Illumination film in the summer. 

Only 2 animated films have been officially dated for the Summer: Incredibles 2 which will benefit massively from the yearlong drought of family films and HT3, which can either pull an IA3 (flat domestic, big increase WW) or a KFP (decreases for both).

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Only 2 animated films have been officially dated for the Summer: Incredibles 2 which will benefit massively from the yearlong drought of family films and HT3, which can either pull an IA3 (flat domestic, big increase WW) or a KFP (decreases for both).

I really don't see HT3 having a huge increase WW as it's nowhere near as popular as Ice Age was at its peak. Maybe a modest increase but not much. 

While I think WB/WAG will keep Smallfoot in September, they could release it on August 10th and have Meg in September but they would need to debut the first trailer by January or February. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I really don't see HT3 having a huge increase WW as it's nowhere near as popular as Ice Age was at its peak. Maybe a modest increase but not much. 

While I think WB/WAG will keep Smallfoot in September, they could release it on August 10th and have Meg in September but they would need to debut the first trailer by January or February. 

I was thinking more like $500M-$600M WW for HT3 type of increase but idk for now $125M/$450M seems right.

Smallfoot needs to gtfo out of September, it can easily turn into another Storks/Ninjago/LOTG, the spot isn't good for WB/WAG. Maybe they can position it in late July or go for broke and do October. Goosebumps 2 isn't helping it.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 1:33 PM, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Mad... at the aspect ratio? :thinking: 

1.85:1 in a franchise that has been consistently 2.39:1 feels odd to me in a lot of ways. Avengers had a solid reason to accent the Hulk's scale, but Justice League's team doesn't really make that aspect ratio switch justified.

On 9/22/2017 at 2:44 PM, filmlover said:

I was never keen on seeing Ninjago even though The LEGO Movie has become one of my favorites (and The LEGO Batman Movie was a solid riff on the tropes of Batman movies). It's clear that Lord/Miller's creativity was what really gave life to a project that most figured would be a most cynical cash grab before it opened.

Which is why they need to pull a KK/LF and fire Mike Mitchell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Which is why they need to pull a KK/LF and fire Mike Mitchell

Preach. Lego 2 can either be a Lego Batman or a Ninjago in terms of reception. Lord/Miller make the former more likely even though they're writing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Smallfoot needs to gtfo out of September, it can easily turn into another Storks/Ninjago/LOTG, the spot isn't good for WB/WAG. Maybe they can position it in late July or go for broke and do October. Goosebumps 2 isn't helping it.

September's pretty empty now that Equalizer and A Star is Born have moved and Robin Hood is likely to be a bomb so it does give Smallfoot breathing room. October would only give it 3-4 weeks until Grinch comes out and July would mean facing HT3. It'd have to be August or stay put.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

September's pretty empty now that Equalizer and A Star is Born have moved and Robin Hood is likely to be a bomb so it does give Smallfoot breathing room. October would only give it 3-4 weeks until Grinch comes out and July would mean facing HT3. It'd have to be August or stay put.

Still WB screws up on September Animation even before Storks and Ninjago. Remember Legend of The Guardians had shitty marketing and was a September movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Preach. Lego 2 can either be a Lego Batman or a Ninjago in terms of reception. Lord/Miller make the former more likely even though they're writing.

Mike Mitchell's a decent animation director so I don't think it would be fair to get rid of him. Just have Lord and Miller write the script.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Still WB screws up on September Animation even before Storks and Ninjago. Remember Legend of The Guardians had shitty marketing and was a September movie.

The release date or the marketing isn't the problem, LOTG wouldn't have done much better at other times of the year, Storks was bad timing coming after hugely successful talking animal films and Ninjago, marketing probably wouldn't have helped much since the final product didn't turn out well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The release date or the marketing isn't the problem, LOTG wouldn't have done much better at other times of the year, Storks was bad timing coming after hugely successful talking animal films and Ninjago, marketing probably wouldn't have helped much since the final product didn't turn out well. 

LOTG is probably true.

Storks had minimal marketing, you can argue bad timing but that didn't stop Sing.

Ninjago needed marketing and good reviews to succeed, it got neither.

WB doesn't market animation well mainly due to their history. Lego is their first animated movie over $200M and it, Happy Feet and Batman were the only ones that went over $150M.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 7:13 PM, Fancyarcher said:

I'd say Coco's box office also depends on reviews. If it gets classic Pixar "perfect reception" response similar to say Inside Out, then 200m+ is practically a lock. 

I bet it gets below 90%+ simply because of its retread nature. Saw the most recent trailer and although it's the best one yet, it still looks like why bother when we had Book of Life already?

• Like 2

The trailer views for Coco are lacking and so is social media. Moana and BH6 definitely had more hype and I think TGD might've as well. The 2 newest trailer combined make about 3M views. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's gonna be one of those sherlock holmes 3 type deals where people spend a decade being all "kngsman 3's tooooootally coming. definitely. don't worry about it."

How about we get a movie where Eggsy helps Ben Gates discover the tablet of Sherlock Holmes and we just get three done in one

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DAJK said:

Doubt Kingsman is going to go over our equivalent of 14M at my theatre tonight...

And Ninjago probably only 7M. Can't remember if something is going on in town tonight or not, but hopefully tomorrow is way better.

On the other hand, I looked fucking sexy in my kingsman outfit

I wore a suit to the first Kingsman and made a very long snapchat story joking that I was cosplaying as Christian Grey don't @ me

• Like 2

With DWA slotting their films in the late September slot between 2019-2021, WB is  probably going to have to find a different slot for the WAG films anyway. Scooby in May 2020 suggests they'll go for a May summer slot which no WAG film so far have done so far but I think August, early to late October or early November could be viable too as well as February.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2