baumer

The Foreigner (2017)

GRADE IT  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Definitely wasn't bad. The opening was great, but I found all the twists and turns with the Brosnan stuff to be verydragged out and overstuffed. Brosnan himself was good as was Chan. However the action setpiece during the climax wasn't quite enough to satisfy the 100 minutes leading up to it.

C+

• Like 1

I liked the dramatic turn for an action star and the grey areas of who is the real villian that added depth to the story. Showing Pierce Brosner's character as a well intended guy, not the real villain is way more important than developing a twist with who actually is the villian /  doublecrosser. sticking to the grey areas without any twists is what this story needed to stand out in the crowd, as these two powerhouses go at each other. Instead we got a half job of both Grey Area and Twists, thus convoluting the story and dragging it into forgettable. Still I enjoyed it, the action felt genuine and the drama was real. The marital challenges of some characters was distracting and the stunts were genuine and authentic. It felt like Rambo at parts, and the ending focusing on side characters like the American Naval Officers that raid the terrorist hideout was off center. Still I enjoyed a night out with my visiting family. 

Kinda loved it.  Great action, terrific performances by Chan and Brosnan and I loved that Chan kind of his Crystal Skull movie...what I mean by that is he can still do all of his stunts and he still looks good doing all that he does, but they don't hide the fact that he's older and feels a bit more of the bumps and bruises.  

Certainly one of the best I've seen this year.

9/10

Its well made but at times feels like two different movies put together. Chan and Brosnan are both terrific and I have to give props to Brosnan for doing a good Irish accent. But there comes a point in the film where there are just too many subplots, like the nephew sleeping with brosnan's wife that really detract from the main focus of the film. I really wish that the film had given Jackie Chan more screentime, he's basically a supporting character in his own movie. Its awesome that he does his own stunts, but I cant shake the feeling that somebody thought "hey we have a great thriller on our hands, now we just need to add some action, oh wait lets add jackie chan!". Not sure why so many critics complained its completely humourous, Brosnan's character had a lot of funny bits(in a good way, not unintentionally).

I'll give it a B, definitely could have been better but I don't regret seeing it.