baumer

I, Tonya (2017)

Grade it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

11 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Really enjoyed this.  Very good film.  Excellent performance from Robbie.

A

@baumerIf I recall from the WOWS release she always had a fascination with ice hockey and played field hockey as a kid.  When she moved to New York she learned to skate and joined an amateur ice hockey team.

They did use 2 doubles for the jumps and more complicated routines. 

Thanks for chiming in.  She skates really well and even if they did use doubles for the complicated stuff, she still had to skate well enough to pass it off.  Her skills are quite good.

• Like 1

Watched this today after listening to an interview with Margot Robbie. Really enjoyed it, balances the line of comedy/drama in the abuse scenes very well. The moment with the knife was heart stopping. 

Laughed when Margot tells us at the start she is 15 and she's wearing braces, I felt quite embarrassed for the film. Also it was too long.

I, Tonya is a contradiction. It desperately wants to be seen as a fun movie but yet constantly disturbs with its depictions of domestic abuse. This comes off as intentional but doesn’t fully work as Gillespie’s direction is often confused. Robbie and Stan are spectacular in it, embodying their characters in every sense and adding surprising pathos to their depictions. Cannavale steals the show in a small but hammy part too.

However, the soundtrack is far too obvious and the riffing off of Scorsese’s style grows tiring. There’s also a weird artifice to it; with characters saying whether a scene actually happened or not, it brings the entire validity of this being a biopic into question. I, Tonya is an enjoyable look at skating’s biggest scandal and an honest take on domestic abuse, and, although the final results are rather mixed, is a film definitely worth checking out. B-

• Like 1