That One Girl

That One Guy's Top 30 Films of 2017 (and other miscellaneous awards)

source.gif

Hopping on the bandwagon a bit early.  Haven't finished all my 2017 watching sadly, but oh well, I can still probably form a solid list!  Just to prepare you guys, don't expect any of the following possible contenders to appear on the list:

-Phantom Thread

-Call Me by Your Name

-The Post

-The Killing of a Sacred Deer

-Wonderstruck

-Mudbound

-Nocturama

-I, Tonya

I'll probably update this list again anyway once I see those films, so why not?

Anyway, you all know how this works, I tell you what I liked, do a writeup, yada yada yada.  Lot of bad takes.  You know the drill.  I'll also maybe post a few of my other favorite things from 2017 along the way (depending on whether I feel like it or not).  I'll start off with honorable mentions in a few.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Hopping on the bandwagon a bit early.  Haven't finished all my 2017 watching sadly, but oh well, I can still probably form a solid list!  Just to prepare you guys, don't expect any of the following possible contenders to appear on the list:

-Phantom Thread

-Call Me by Your Name

-The Post

-The Killing of a Sacred Deer

-Wonderstruck

-Mudbound

-Nocturama

-I, Tonya

I'll probably update this list again anyway once I see those films, so why not?

This is why I get annoyed with a lot of these year-end lists. If you haven't seen all of the movies you were interested in/were excited to see, then just wait a while longer, and then make your countdown. Who cares if you missed the bandwagon?

• Like 1

#30:

Split (dir. M. Night Shyamalan)

tenor.gif?itemid=7649739

Box Office: $278,304,578

RT: 75%

BOT User Scores: 16 A's, 25 B's, 5 C's, 0 D's, 1 F

M. Night Shyamalan made a great movie without Bruce Willis in it (...for the most part)!  Holy shit!  Split, despite being overshadowed by Get Out as the superior horror film of the year, is an entertaining, highly engaging, and fun thrill ride.  It kind of falters a bit when it tries to explore darker themes, but when we have McAvoy going batshit insane in an Oscar-worthy role as a nine year old, a woman, and a beast, it's hard to complain.  I'm glad this movie exists, and fuck I can't wait for the sequel.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This is why I get annoyed with a lot of these year-end lists. If you haven't seen all of the movies you were interested in/were excited to see, then just wait a while longer, and then make your countdown. Who cares if you missed the bandwagon?

Same. I'm not gonna be posting my yearly "Best Of" list until middle/late January (Phantom Thread opens here around then and is likely to be the last movie I see from this year).

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Same. I'm not gonna be posting my yearly "Best Of" list until middle/late January (Phantom Thread opens here around then and is likely to be the last movie I see from this year).

I don't even bother. I'll probably just make a 2010s "Best of" list in 2021 or 2022, and just see what happens. Maybe even later than that.

The Beguiled (dir. Sofia Coppola)

tenor.gif?itemid=8322591

Box Office: $27,264,329

RT: 78%

BOT User Scores: 2 A's, 5 B's, 2 C's, 1 D, 0 F's

A tragically underseen film that I wish more people saw.  A highly engaging slow-burn thriller/drama with excellent performances from all involved, this is a perfect example of a film that accomplishes pretty much all of what it sets out to do.  It's excellently paced, clocking in at only 93 minutes yet not wasting a single moment in the film.  A film that entrances you and captivates you from beginning to end.  Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman rule.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

The Lego Batman Movie (dir. Chris McKay)

DrR8Y9e.gif

Box Office: $311,950,384

RT: 91%

BOT User Scores: 8 A's, 22 B's, 6 C's, 1 D, 0 F's

Not too much to say here other than it's a hilarious, fun movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Would probably be higher if the film didn't end on a dance number that every animated film ends on, but oh well, you can't win 'em all.  Plus it's farrrrrr better than the other Lego movie that came into theaters this year.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

Extra: The most overrated films of the year

Some films that were critically acclaimed (or at least well received/fresh on RT) that I didn't think were all that.

Beauty and the Beast

yZXkp.gif

To the Bone

original.gif

First They Killed My Father

(considering the subject matter, I don't think a gif is appropriate)

My Cousin Rachel

tumblr_on6nec2LmJ1tlgfnio1_500.gif

Free Fire

giphy.gif

Megan Leavey

tumblr_ov6chklgvP1up42jgo7_540.gif

Their Finest

tumblr_otkpobMZ4z1tn4tlbo2_540.gif

Beatriz at Dinner

(i can't find a gif)

THOR: RAGNAROK (@aabattery)

giphy.gif