baumer

Insidious: The Last Key (2018)

Grade it  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked it. Solid C+/B- horror film. Lin Shaye kills it, and makes the movie. Plus the little girl Lin Shaye is actually pretty good. Now that they've closed the loop on these movies. I fully expect either another contrived prequel, or a sequel with the niece being the psychic and Ghost Lin Shaye. 

It works for me.

I like how they tied all the loose ends and made a definitive final chapter of the saga. Nowhere else to go. It was a fun and enjoyable movie, especially the 2nd half when the main demon finally shows up.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They could always go before Chapter 3, or explore Lin Shaye's character as a kid, or after the events of Chapter 2

Before Chapter 3 seems like a bad idea since this movie clearly states the first time she went to the Beyond after her mother's death was in Chapter 3. The best solution I can find is her niece joining the duo in the next one with Elise in the Beyond to help them in the real world.

• Like 1

It was fine. Not a 20 on RT kind of movie, more like a 40-50 if that makes sense. While it wasn't memorable 3 months down the line, a few of the scares were effective, and the creators actually put some effort into making the characters more than one-dimensional people to be targets for the demon. Elise is a great character throughout all the movies, but I feel like since The Conjuring movies have come out, her character has become a B-grade Ed and Lorraine Warren. 

Still, Lin Shaye is great in the role, and the movie was fine while I was watching it. Don't care to ever see it again though. And Part 3 was scarier IMO. 

C

• Like 1

Having not seen any of the other films, I thought it was alright. Lin Shaye is really good in the lead and there are a few effective scares throughout. Most of the film is relatively predictable for the most part which brought the viewing experience down quite a bit for me. Still, not terrible which is pretty good for a January horror pic.

C