cookie

Cookie's Corner - Year 2

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Except when you pay that much attention to a specific plot thread it's natural for a viewer to assume there's going to be some kind of payoff to it. If you started and ended at "Frank has conservative parents with strict rules and that makes him unwilling to come out" I wouldn't have had a problem. But because so much attention is spent on it only to have no effect on the outcome it's just dead weight that could've been cut out and it wouldn't have changed much. Especially since what ultimately does the relationship in is Mark's fears and not Frank's.

And @Xillix very much summed up the problem I had with the Skyla bit. The character comes out of nowhere, it's jarring how the perspective breaks for only one scene and the break-up is not inexplicable because now the audience expects it to happen because with that scene you planted that idea in their head.

I understand the intent, but like with After Party I disagree with the execution.

Fair enough, I disagree but respect your difference of opinion. 

Makes me worried about its Oscar potential and about what you will think of MitAV and The Island. 😟

Edited by Hiccup23
  • Like 1

Pokémon: The Journey Begins

CONAN THE NIDORIAN

Duh-duh-duh-duh duh-duh duh duh duh-duh-duh-duh

...What? You were probably thinking that too.

Like The Human Revolution the film's slavishness to its source material is both a blessing and a curse. It helps that Stephanie is generally likable and her Pokémon equally so, but the plot is repetitive and, for the lack of a better word, video game-y to the point that it gets very tedious. I think what ultimately saves the film is some visually entertaining battle sequences and a surprisingly awesome third act even if the ending drags its heels a bit.

B-

Anthem

Dismissing this movie because it follows a philosophy I don't agree with wouldn't be fair. What I can say though is that it doesn't lend itself much by being an animated picture. It doesn't use its format to any real advantage and with its characters just being stock mouthpieces for Ayn Rand's view of the world the end result leaves me with very little to invest in. It could've been interesting if nothing else, but I'm honestly just left kinda bored.

C-

The Maid

A decent horror flick that bends your suspension of disbelief sometimes but far from breaking the experience, plus buoyed by a strong lead performance from Camilla Mendes.

B-

Race Rage

Nothing you haven't seen before in dystopian action fare, but it's a decent time waster.

C+

My Side of the Mountain

...Eh. Its premise is ludicrous but there's nothing harmful in it for kids so I can guess you put it on to keep them entertained.

C-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

Ta2ed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

The first was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect to enjoy it at all but what I found was actually very funny even if it wasn't always consistent. Does the sequel hold to the same standard? Let's find out.

*Numerous random Voltron snides later*

*Nervously huddles over to the telephone and starts slowly pushing in numbers*

"Cookie Pictures President and CEO Sebastian Peters speaking."

Yeah... hi... this is @cookie... I uh... ran into an issue.

"What kind of issue?"

There's this cheap-ass comedy sequel that's throwing serious shades at a major franchise of yours and I uh... don't know if you want me to review it objectively. I mean, I kinda have you to thank for getting my job back... I mean... PANDER-BOT 9000 was a lovely individual and we all miss him dearly and...

"Well if it's a joke it's a joke. We're not sensitive about those things."

Right because I, uh... found the movie to be rather funny. More consistently funny than its predecessor even.

"O...kay? You're going to waste my time any more or what?"

Nope. Nope. Good luck on that uh... Robo Costume Princess Randy thing or whatever it's called.

"It's Mech Suit Heroine Ri-"

Gotta go. Bye.

B+

But seriously, I'm scared for 

Tattooed 3nage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills now.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, cookie said:

There's this cheap-ass comedy sequel that's throwing serious shades at a major franchise of yours...

Was there something other than the "giant robot for giants" sequence you interpreted as shade? That was the only intentional jab ;) 

12 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Was there something other than the "giant robot for giants" sequence you interpreted as shade? That was the only intentional jab ;) 

I honestly the interpreted the opening scene to be a deliberate take that.

• Like 1

Crash Bandicoot

Opening short Don't Let the Pigeon Cook: An amusing Looney Tunes-esque short that's sure to entertain kids as well as like-minded adults.

Movie:

I feel the same with the movie as I did with the short: kids and like-minded adults (as well as fans of the franchise) are going to enjoy it, anyone looking for anything more substantial is probably going to zone out after a while. But for what it is, the zany animation (even if I do think God Moore's talents could've been better served elsewhere) and amusing gags help overcome the story's repetitive nature - even if that end of second act split-up is one of the most forced ones I've ever seen. Decent for a family matinee.

B-

Flower Eyes and Needle Teeth

The movie kinda drops the ball by never revealing what the real deal with the creatures were. Up until the last minute I assumed they were products of his depression-induced imagination which would've been an obvious twist but also a fairly dark and cynical one. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Bit disappointing to be honest.

C

Chaperones

O...kay? None of it is funny, it's just dumb, boring and did I mention not funny? #FuckToddPhilips

D

The Terrible Plight of Freddy Zapper

"Logan says that with the team of a werewolf, a sea monster, and an alien, then the world was at their disposal."

Wait, I thought Wendel was a vampire?

Minor errors like that aside, this was actually pretty fun. True, it doesn't always hold together (like what was the whole deal with General Nilator? Was that a reference I just didn't get?) but when it sticks it's very solid. Fun, campy, zany and energizing in (almost) all the right places. Plus my boy Taron gets to be in a good movie for once.

B+

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

I honestly the interpreted the opening scene to be a deliberate take that.

Nah, the opening was a joke/reference about how reviewers and audiences mostly hated the ending of the first TTAFfBH. The "second rate Power Rangers" were supposed to be the Sentinels themselves. The budget talks were supposed to be a jab at the series' cheapness and not being able to afford a traditional "heroes come together and do epic shit" finale. I guess it does work on two levels, though!

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 1

Just now, cookie said:

After some careful deliberation I'm changing my 56 Days of Love grade to a straight A-. The problems I have are still the problems I have, but I think what works helps salvage some of it.

Thanks;)

But seriously, I don't hold any animosity toward you for your grade. 

Also @cookie, no plans for a Tattooed 3nage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills at the moment. Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (which is based on a contemporaneous, albeit significantly better, show from the same producers) is going to be a sort of very loose spinoff/spiritual successor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Thanks;)

But seriously, I don't hold any animosity toward you for your grade. 

This is a conclusion I arrived to on my own. Had it not been for that ending it could've been a B+ or above.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cookie said:

Flower Eyes and Needle Teeth

The movie kinda drops the ball by never revealing what the real deal with the creatures were. Up until the last minute I assumed they were products of his depression-induced imagination which would've been an obvious twist but also a fairly dark and cynical one. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Bit disappointing to be honest.

C

gcMIRgl.gif

Blank

Numerator Pictures do some bloody good shit when they're on the fockin' point eh. Blank ain't some chav shit, this is the real fockin' deal. Cor blimey, the levels of corking good shit in this is through the roof. From Mark Strong's bloody excellent turn in the lead role to that fockin' jammy climax this is a real bloke in a year already full of them. If I could be a bloody wanker and nitpick some things it would be that it takes a bit to keep up with all the twists the picture bungs at you but once you're caught up it's the dog's bollocks.

Bloody fockin' A

Also Willie One-Hand teehee

Penny Press

Well this was disappointing. Robert Zemeckis finds very little in the tale of a kid who grows up writing during the Great Depression. Maybe the backdrop is what's supposed to propel the drama, but it was a struggle to stay interested in this one.

C-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m certain Closed Domain ain’t getting over a C+ from you (talk about a project getting way over your head) but now that I have stakes in Parvelli, god I hope you like it.

I mean it ain’t beating ATBPO but I REALLY want another film over 90 on the CC.

49 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

I’m certain Closed Domain ain’t getting over a C+ from you (talk about a project getting way over your head) but now that I have stakes in Parvelli, god I hope you like it.

I hope that's not you calling me stupid for then you're really getting that C+ :apocalypse:

:P