cookie

Cookie's Corner - Year 2

51 minutes ago, cookie said:

Storm Hunters

Sydney is not the capital of Australia first of all.

Hahaha wait did I say it was? I KNOW that too... I was probably just fishing for a synonym for "city" to not sound repetitive and typed in the first word I thought of :P

Also @cookie my movie is Deathsgiving. Thankskilling is a real movie.

Edited by Xillix

11 minutes ago, Xillix said:

@cookie

FYI - The Encounter is based on the ACTUAL IDEA the producers had for a fifth Airport movie, had The Concorde... Airport '79 not flopped. Except they were going to call it Airport 2000 to be uh... "futuristic," and presumably George Kennedy would've been in it again (probably with a completely different job again like in all the preceding films where he went from a TWA mechanic at a Chicago airport to the Vice President of a completely different airline to a Navy liaison at an unspecified company to a Concorde jet pilot for a THIRD airline).

I'm not sure if you've seen The Concorde but it's arguably more ridiculous than The Encounter, even without aliens. It's a real fun watch when you're half-awake with a bowl of popcorn. So this wasn't so much a glorious return to form/homage as an intentionally terrible "what-if" following the franchise's natural progression ;)

I know Concorde is really stupid. I just think going in the even more absurd direction when 70s remakes have done well in the game is just bizarre.

13 hours ago, cookie said:

I was on the "I guess it's good enough" train before the double rape (I'm not going to argue about that) and the King Arthur twist (that I can argue with because I still don't know what the hell that was about).

The King Arthur "twist" I did make a little too hard and wtf, I agree. You kind of have to be a big King Arthur person to pick it up early in the film. I have a problem where I try to hide a twist tooooo much and then it feels more like ":wintf:" than ":insane:"

I share my films with my roommates and one is a big Merlin and King Arthur guy. Right away when he read the film he was like, "This is the Once and Future King isn't it?" He knew Emry is the other name of Merlin, the burning boat on the lake (connected to Arthur's funeral), and he knew about the legend of King Arthur being reincarnated again. He loved the film and found it enjoyable/exciting......BUT my other roommate didn't catch the connection until the end and he had a similar reaction to yours. 

23 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

The King Arthur "twist" I did make a little too hard and wtf, I agree. You kind of have to be a big King Arthur person to pick it up early in the film. I have a problem where I try to hide a twist tooooo much and then it feels more like ":wintf:" than ":insane:"

I share my films with my roommates and one is a big Merlin and King Arthur guy. Right away when he read the film he was like, "This is the Once and Future King isn't it?" He knew Emry is the other name of Merlin, the burning boat on the lake (connected to Arthur's funeral), and he knew about the legend of King Arthur being reincarnated again. He loved the film and found it enjoyable/exciting......BUT my other roommate didn't catch the connection until the end and he had a similar reaction to yours. 

I don’t understand what the Shutter Island-esque mental insitution setting has to do with King Arthur though. Is Case a reincarnation of Arthur? Does the myth take place in (relatively) modern times?

I legit thought you were doing a stealth X-Men pilot before that last reveal.

Just now, cookie said:

I don’t understand what the Shutter Island-esque mental insitution setting has to do with King Arthur though. Is Case a reincarnation of Arthur? Does the myth take place in (relatively) modern times?

I legit thought you were doing a stealth X-Men pilot before that last reveal.

I liked the mental institution and was interesting in mixing it with King Arthur/Merlin. It felt fresh and different, from having a 21st century King Arthur and Merlin (It would feel too superheroish:gold:)  I am all about trying new things and mixing genres. I thought having a mental asylum setting with King Arthur/Merlin, where they discover their powers and we don't know if they are just insane or really do have these powers would stand out from the crowd in Y2 and be something fresh for audiences.  

As for the myth, it depends on the writer. Some have it back in the day and others have it during modern times. I went with the 1940's because it fit well with the mental institution. 

The Amityville Nightmare

Jesus. Christ.

Rarely has 108 minutes felt so long. So much happens in that amount of time that you feel like you've gone through an entire season of a television show by the time it's over. Nothing is allowed to breathe because it has to cram so much into such a short amount of time. And because you're so exhausted by the time the payoff rolls around it doesn't register like it should. Not that it really made the whole ordeal worth it anyhow. Some solid scares and acting save this from a lesser grade, but the makers should really think about how valuable pacing is next time.

C

Seriously, @Xillix, either this should've been a two-parter or 2 1/2 hours long. I thought going in that the long word count was because there was a lot of description, but there are so many subplots and sidesteps crammed in that the film in no realistic fashion could've been under two hours.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1