BadAtGender

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)

Rating  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Select Grade

I hope the next Cloverfield movie isn't just taking an unrelated, unfocused sci-fi stand alone film and shoving the word Cloverfield into random spots and occasionally having a roar in the background.

The entire premise is stupid when you realize that not once in this movie does anyone bring up solar or wind power. You don't have to be a scientist to know about those things, and these people are.

Gugu and Elizabeth feel like the only characters who are people and the only people who are trying, and the former still has a really thin backstory.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

It would have worked better for me if there were more people from Dimension B who ended up on the ship from Dimension A, then 

Spoiler

"Oh hey, welcome to our dimension (B) where things are EVEN WORSE than they are in yours, so we're going to try and kill you to go to your dimension because there can only be one." or something.

47 minutes ago, Morieris said:

It would have worked better for me if there were more people from Dimension B who ended up on the ship from Dimension A, then 

Reveal hidden contents

Never trust Elizabeth Debicki.

Very disappointing. A lot of things in this movie make no sense at all. Comedic relief was really annoying and out of place, and there is hardly any characters being developed. I feel like the only thing that will be remembered from this movie is it’s insane marketing. C

Edited by afalconer7

BEYOND AWFUL. Terrible direction, no story flow, awful exposition, the dude had no idea what he is doing, he had 4 fucking opening scenes, starts opening credits twice, forgets to put up its title until 2 more cliched scenes.  dude was clueless.

He had fucking DAN Mindel shooting it, The Force Awakens, Star Trek 09, John Carter Dp, amazing producers, colleen atwood!  and this is what happens. wow

D (64)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

BEYOND AWFUL. Terrible direction, no story flow, awful exposition, the dude had no idea what he is doing, he had 4 fucking opening scenes, starts opening credits twice, forgets to put up its title until 2 more cliched scenes.  dude was clueless.

He had fucking DAN Mindel shooting it, The Force Awakens, Star Trek 09, John Carter Dp, amazing producers, colleen atwood!  and this is what happens. wow

D (64)

It's hard to separate the story problems from the directing problems, IMO. Some of it is certainly on him, the script is a dumpster fire of a mess and it's hard to say how much of that is attributable to him, the screenwriters, or the mangled development process.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's hard to separate the story problems from the directing problems, IMO. Some of it is certainly on him, the script is a dumpster fire of a mess and it's hard to say how much of that is attributable to him, the screenwriters, or the mangled development process.

Ehhh kinda disagree, The first 10 minutes prove he didn't have a clear vision in the making of it, the voice of exactly how to open, when the credits play? start? when does the title comes up? How can we link scenes together to create story flow?  

that was on the craft/editing/directing not the screenwriter (if it was his fault, its the directors job to give it proper flow and engagement)  

Edited by Jay Hollywood

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Ehhh kinda disagree, The first 10 minutes prove he didn't have a clear vision in the making of it, the voice of exactly how to open, when the credits play? start? when does the title comes up? How can we link scenes together to create story flow?  

that was on the craft/editing/directing not the screenwriter (if it was his fault, its the directors job to give it proper flow and engagement)  

Your assumption is that this was his first creative choice. To me it felt a great deal like lots of hands in the mix and this was the end result.

I mean, I agree with you in general, the direction was very poor overall. Just that I'm not convinced that these bits were entirely on him.

Edited by Telemachos

What in God's fresh hell was this crap.

Boring af full of shit exposition and crazy nonsense just there to be weird and disturbing. Plus the final 10 seconds might be the worse final 10 seconds of all time

No redeemable qualities. An absolute disaster.

4/20 because I like Bruhl, Gugu and Debicki and one or two special effects from the outer space and the ship looked nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4