That One Girl

The Art of Racing in the Rain | Sep 27 2019 | Milo Ventimiglia (This Is Us) to star | Simon Curtis (My Week with Marilyn) directing

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The title of this alone makes me want to take it behind the school and steal its lunch money

The author of the book needed to distinguish it from the countless other heartwarming dog novels/films somehow I guess.

Given its title, you would expect this to be a sports movie with a dog in it. That would be inaccurate. The title is a huge metaphor for the unforeseen circumstances that life might throw at you and all you can do is ask yourself if you’re prepared for it or not. It’s philosophical, which is the prominent dialect of the central lead’s mindset. When you’re introduced to Enzo as a pup, you’re a bit thrown off by Kevin Costner’s narration for obvious reasons. In case you didn’t notice, Costner doesn’t objectively have the appealing voice for narrating a dog as cute as Enzo. But the longer you get to know Enzo and his personality, the more you warm up to Costner’s narration as his lines of dialogue — along with his delivery — help construct a personality for the dog. Part of what makes this film stand out amongst its peers is Enzo himself. Unlike the main characters in those W. Bruce Cameron movies, Enzo’s personality is more than a simplistic loyalty trait. Costner’s gruff yet wholesome narration benefits this adorable and surprisingly insightful dog to connect with his audience through his personality. 

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies/the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain-review

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rjones1325 said:

Given its title, you would expect this to be a sports movie with a dog in it. That would be inaccurate. The title is a huge metaphor for the unforeseen circumstances that life might throw at you and all you can do is ask yourself if you’re prepared for it or not. It’s philosophical, which is the prominent dialect of the central lead’s mindset. When you’re introduced to Enzo as a pup, you’re a bit thrown off by Kevin Costner’s narration for obvious reasons. In case you didn’t notice, Costner doesn’t objectively have the appealing voice for narrating a dog as cute as Enzo. But the longer you get to know Enzo and his personality, the more you warm up to Costner’s narration as his lines of dialogue — along with his delivery — help construct a personality for the dog. Part of what makes this film stand out amongst its peers is Enzo himself. Unlike the main characters in those W. Bruce Cameron movies, Enzo’s personality is more than a simplistic loyalty trait. Costner’s gruff yet wholesome narration benefits this adorable and surprisingly insightful dog to connect with his audience through his personality. 

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies/the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain-review

Regarding the character of Enzo and his personality, does it stand out enough to distinguish the film adequately from the other cute dog releases we've seen this year?

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Did you catch this @DAJK. I know a couple people who went and saw this and they said it was actually really good. They're dog people so they may be biased....

I enjoyed it!! Saw it it’s my mum and her sister and they both liked it too. It didn’t go for the gut-wrenching sadness of something like marley and me but the story still kept me invested. It’s a good time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I enjoyed it!! Saw it it’s my mum and her sister and they both liked it too. It didn’t go for the gut-wrenching sadness of something like marley and me but the story still kept me invested. It’s a good time

Awesome! Glad you liked it.