Hiccup23

Hiccup's Critical Review Year 3

March

Nerdy - About as bland as a piece of stale bread. 🥛

2 Lonely 2 Zookeepers - Didn’t like the first film at all and having to see a sequel to it was even worse. Sure it was mildly entertaining in some spots but why do we need a sequel? 🥛1/2

SoulCalibur - SoulCalibur is a wannabe epic that tries to hard and utterly fails. I guess some of the action series were cool but nothing else is redeemable. 🥛1/2

Student Film - A warm and enduring film. The cast does a great job and the film does a good job of not entertaining the melodrama of most coming of age films. It feels realistic and down to earth. Easy one of the most enjoyable films of the year so far :)   🍷🍷🍷🍷

The Storyteller - It is decently made, but struggles with trying to find what kind of film it wants to be. This isn’t a memorable film and it drags by. 🍷

Lilo and Stitch – Lilo and Stitch honors its source material while standing out as its own adoption of the classic story. The cast does a fantastic job and the visuals are very beautiful. The film excels at developing the relationship between Lilo and Stitch. It has some pacing issues but those are mostly trival. My biggest praise though is that it stands out from the animated film and dares to readapt the story for a new audience. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Edited by Hiccup23
  • Like 3

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Damn all 3 of my fillers got 🥛. But Stitch is killing it.

My fillers (Redeeming Love and crew) are doing the same so I am there with you. I am waiting for one of my major films to kill it *praying*

• Like 1

April

Battletoads - Battletoads is definitely a different type of animated film and that isn’t a bad thing. Boosted by an entertaining story and strong voice cast, Battletoads may not be the best animated film of the year but it still is very enjoyable. The animation is simple and the story needed some more work. Altogether,  I highly recommend it for a good time at the cinema. 🍷🍷🍷

Cataclysmic – Stunning, gripping, and visually beautiful, Cataclysmic is a rare treat. Francis Lawrence does a fantastic job and proves himself to be an excellent director. Michelle Pfeiffer kills it. Jennifer Lawrence and Ben Affleck are also excellent. This film really caught be off guard and I like it. Excellent job @Xillix 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Unknown Sender - Dumb horror but harmless I guess. 🍷

Edited by Hiccup23
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

The real wait for you is August. Notes from Outerspace is a big wildcard for me. I really hope it lands well. 

Well that makes two of us! ;)

But honestly I’m quite hopeful. The two reviews were really good for it, and of course I loved it so that’s at least three of us! :P

May

BioShock - A messy, disjointed, and overlongly film, Bioshock shouldn’t be a dull adventure but somehow it is. What a sad waste of good source material. BioShock is a shockingly weak video game adoption in a time of such strong ones. 🍷1/2

Under the Sea - This is your standard nature documentary. I enjoy these type of films :) 🍷🍷🍷

God of War - I am gonna admit this: I am a Zack Snyder fan. This film clearly has problems: overly long, pacing is not that good, and the script is weak but….I had a good time. The visuals (like most of Snyder’s films) were fantastic and you could tell every penny was used in the budget. The cast had a weak script but that didn’t stop them from putting effort into making their characters fleshed out. I also liked how it was R rated and really went with it. A fun summer popcorn blockbuster. I had fun and for that I have to give it props. 🍷🍷🍷1/2

He-Man II: The Revenge of Skeletor – I like the first He-Man and it was a solid super-hero flick. He-Man II is pretty much the same but again suffers from the notorious sequelitis. The film clearly struggles especially in the third act but altogether is an enjoyable (but forgettable) time. If you liked the first you will enjoy this...kind of feels like Thor 2: The Dark World.🍷🍷1/2

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

God of War - I am gonna admit this: I am a Zack Snyder fan. This film clearly has problems: overly long, pacing is not that good, and the script is weak but….I had a good time. The visuals (like most of Snyder’s films) were fantastic and you could tell every penny was used in the budget. The cast had a weak script but that didn’t stop them from putting effort into making their characters fleshed out. I also liked how it was R rated and really went with it. A fun summer popcorn blockbuster. I had fun and for that I have to give it props. 🍷🍷🍷1/2

:ohmygod:

(In hindsight should’ve made GOW shorter)

On 4/24/2018 at 8:23 PM, Hiccup23 said:

Lilo and Stitch – Lilo and Stitch honors its source material while standing out as its own adoption of the classic story. The cast does a fantastic job and the visuals are very beautiful. The film excels at developing the relationship between Lilo and Stitch. It has some pacing issues but those are mostly trival. My biggest praise though is that it stands out from the animated film and dares to readapt the story for a new audience. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Quick but late question: How did you feel about the Jumba backstory and the short?

June

Dan the Alpaca - There is really isn’t much to this film. I guess it was fine. Does its job and gets over with fast enough. Enjoyable for children but dull for adults. 🍷

Ripper - Not as good as a film as other reviewers claim. Tom Hardy is the star of the film hands down. Maybe an Oscar nominee?  As for the actual film, it is component and thrilling is several moments. It just felt at times boring. Thankfully the run time was under 2 hours otherwise I might have wandered off mentally. 🍷🍷

The Odyssey: The Counsel of the Dead – The Odyssey: The Counsel of the Dead is a step up from the first installment (like there was really anything to improve on). There really isn’t much to say that already hasn’t been said by other reviews. The biggest feat this film accomplishes is the third act. F*cking fantastic. Let’s hope the third installment doesn’t disappoint. 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Finding Gobi - Heart warming at moments but altogether a forgetful summer film. I’d watch this on Netflix but not in theaters. 🍷🍷

Second Wind: Stormy Seas - I don’t remember the first film and see no reason for a sequel. This film is unfunny for a “comedy”. I literally didn’t even crack a smirk. 🥛

Call of Duty - One of the most popular videos games gets a meh debut on the big screen. Like BioShock, Call of Duty feels like a cash grab without any substance. This isn’t a bad thing if the film was self aware of it. The first step to getting away with a cash grab is admitting it. Call of Duty tries hard to be a good film but ultimately and very sadly falls short. So much potential. Still….it is entertaining and in my opinion worth a ticket………...on a $5 Tuesday. 🍷🍷1/2

• Thanks 1

July

Howling Commandos - God I wanted to like this film badly. I am sitting here making excuses for it. The dialogue is rocky, the characters are bland, and the tone is all over the place. It is kind of a big fat mess. But it is a mess I kind of enjoyed in a guilty pleasure way. I just wish we got more from Matthew Vaughn. Big step back for him. I was gonna give this a 1 glass of wine but I am feeling generous and I was entertained so…. 🍷🍷

Inversion - Cliche, cheesy, and predictable, Inversion takes a could be interesting concept and doesn’t go out of the box with it. This just feels like a big missed opportunity.  Still it will please the fantasy romance audience. I just wish it would be more thought out. 🍷1/2

The Scavenger Wars – This was a long read. Divided it into three readings. Now I know I can go ahead with my 30,000 word, We Are the Ants ;)  Anyway, the best part of this was that each time I came back to finish where I left off, I didn’t need to reread the last paragraph to remember what happened. The story stuck with me so big props for that. The Scavenger Wars is a visual masterpiece and beautiful to look at. The world building is fantastic and it really pulls you into the film. The script is well written and the acting is good (not Oscar good but good). The weakness is the villain who is a bit cartoony. Kind of felt like a Marvel or DC villain who simply is there to provide an antagonist to our heros. The film did bore me at times and felt too long. Most of my problems are trivial and this is one of the better blockbusters of the summer. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

• Like 2

August

Miraculous - Disjointed, chaotic, and lacking character development, Miraculous is a concrete idea that was completely mismanaged. I haven’t seen the source material so I don’t know if it is faithful but this is definitely not a good adoption of it. 🍷

Gamera - Gamera is over the top and the cast is forgettable but this was a good time at the cinema. Several moments that weren’t suppose to be funny where hilarious. 

“they are shocked to find Gamera flying through the sky like a UFO, limbs and head retracted into his shell, jets of flame shooting out of the holes and propelling him through the air as he spins rapidly like a frisbee.”

How can you not laugh at that? The third act really struggles and just feels out of nowhere. I get the whole”god of children” thing but it just feels so random. Still, Gamera is very very entertaining and I do love a monster film. I had fun at the cinema  and the visual effects were good. (Still think they could have spent more than $105M though) 🍷🍷1/2

Things Fall Apart - This film felt forgettable and dull. The 2 hours dragged by and the film just felt like a sloppy mess. The character development was subpar. I don’t have much else to say since I have already forgotten the film. 🥛

The Howling - Better than most werewolf movies (the bar is low haha), The Howling is a reasonably enjoyable horror film that occasionally is unintentionally funny and over the top (the ending). The third act struggles to keep the momentum going. While not scary per say, it does provide good entertainment value.  The visual effects of the werewolf strike me as a little cheap. 🍷🍷1/2

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad - After a rough start, Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad is helped by a good cast and brisk pace.  This film was enjoyable and I had a fun time watching it. This film proves itself in a fairly high quality August and doesn’t get lost in the shadow. I am in a good mood and this film hit me well. 🍷🍷🍷1/2

• Like 1