2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Silent House

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Silent House (2012) Mini-Review Sorta Spoilers (No details)

Hmm. I was very intrigued by the "one-shot movie" thing. I'll break it to you, it's probably not one shot, there are some obvious parts where there was most likely a cut, but it's the illusion that counts, I guess. It is a neat almost-gimmick that's worth it just for the fact that they stuck to it (whether they should have or not). But probably best on DVD, at home in a dark room.

As for the plot, it's a bout a girl (Olsen) and her father locked in a house, when a mysterious force appears and makes noises around the house that they go to investigate. Of course. The movie's very deliberate with its pace. A good atmosphere is created. It moves a little too slowly for too long, and it's just a chasing noises movie well into the runtime. When it changes tone the last 15 minutes or so and the twist is revealed... it's sort of worth it...? It's an odd twist, one that makes total sense and is a bit too implied early on for the full twist effect to work, but it does sort of make all the wait and the running around worth it.

Elizabeth Olsen is great here, as expected. I just wish the movie had played out and ended with more of an oomph than a whimper. I could have thought of a bunch of different ways this movie could have ended more interestingly. This movie isn't perfect, and that's probably because it forces this "one-shot" thing on itself, but it's still okay.

Final words: If you have a good amount of patience, this movie is worth the unique and fairly creepy ride.

Score: 6/10 or "Like it"

After/During the Credits!!! Nothing during the credits or afterwards, just the score playing over credits.

Edited by hogwash13777