YM!

Under The Boardwalk | Paramount Animation/Nickelodeon Movies | October 27th, 2023 - trailer three days before limited release, 11/7 on digital platforms

Other titles include a Chinese American fantasy adaptation The Tiger’s Apprentice, due Feb. 11, 2022 will be joined in the summer by Jersey Crabs, a Grease-like musical set on the Jersey Shore where sea crab tourists clash with land crab townies.

Edited by YM!

https://deadline.com/2020/05/animated-movies-coronavirus-production-tom-and-jerry-spongebob-scoob-skydance-illumination-1202928961/

Paramount Animation alone has four movies up and running in various stages of production —SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run, Rumble, Tiger’s Apprentice and Jersey Crabs — with crews working 100% remote. Currently, Paramount has 100 artists and crews working remotely in Los Angeles and about 350 artists working from their homes in Dallas, Paris and Montreal.

“We partner with artists and companies all over the world, and the advantage that gives us is that we can really cast and crew up the movies with talent all over the world, and it allows us to do more than one movie at a time,” Paramount Animation president Mireille Soria says about the studio’s animation crews that continue to work during the shutdown. “Our story, visual, development and editorial departments are used to working remotely already. You know, we didn’t miss a beat as far as having our daily check-ins with story artists, production designers and visual development artists showing art. So that has really gone smoothly.”

I was hoping this film would actually happen ☹️

EDIT: Now I see. They acquired Blazing Samurai and dated that for July 22nd, and moving this out of the way was the logical choice. So the film might not be canceled indefinitely. I’m just used to some of the most creative animated film ideas getting “removed from the schedule” and then never getting put back on it. I hope this film sees the light of day!

Edited by SLAM!

Guessing either it’s not in production yet which seems likely as it wasn’t mentioned in yesterday’s press release for Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animation or it’s going direct to Paramount+.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Guessing either it’s not in production yet which seems likely as it wasn’t mentioned in yesterday’s press release for Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animation or it’s going direct to Paramount+.

You know that classic Sixties Drifters  song "Under The Boardwalk" is gonna be used in this.

On 8/7/2022 at 4:36 PM, SLAM! said:

This will probably get dumped on Paramount+ with a minimal marketing push…

Costs may be rising while the box office is contracting, but Robbins sees areas of opportunity. He’s overhauled Paramount’s animation division, raiding Nickelodeon’s vault and jettisoning projects that he didn’t think were commercial. “Under the Boardwalk,” a movie about hermit crabs on the Jersey Shore that predated Robbins, will debut on Paramount+, not in theaters. “We’re not going to release an expensive original animated movie and just pray people will come,” he says.

Instead, the studio’s upcoming animated releases will center on familiar properties such as “SpongeBob SquarePants” and “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” which Robbins thinks will appeal to millennials who grew up with the shows. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/features/brian-robbins-paramount-pictures-tmnt-mutant-mayhem-tom-cruise-1235679142/amp/

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Smart choice. Original animation is box office poison barring Elemental-level word of mouth. And considering that this is from the director of Turbo, I highly doubt it would've gotten that. At least on Paramount+ it'll serve as serviceable Christmas fodder like Rumble.

Eh, I’m not so sure it’s original animation is permanently dead when what’s on the menu either went to streaming (Mitchells, the Pixar Plus squad, Encanto, Sea Beast, and Vivo would’ve likely done well enough theatrically or not stifled with) or just very bad in general (Strange World, Lightyear, Paws of Fury). Even adaptations did so-so with Bad Guys and Super-Pets though I think opening close to Sonic did Bad Guys in somewhat despite its success. Elemental did solid enough considering circumstances and is likely to finish at 450-500m despite being middle level Pixar and both Wish and Migration have potential. Still sad to see it considering it was one of the last ways an original property could do blockbuster numbers outside of Nolan.

Like, I don’t think Paramount’s Smurfs Movie has any potential than either Paramount originals that’ll likely go to Plus and SpongeBob seems dubious due to oversaturation (especially with a high budgeted Netflix movie a year before the fourth one). TMNT, Avatar and Transformers will likely be hits though.

Russell Brand... That honestly explains a whole lot. I'm just going to put this out there: I think the Paramount suits knew about the allegations against Brand for months, and that's the real reason why this is getting dumped on Paramount+, at least in the US. Until otherwise proven, this is my view on the matter. I also think this trailer was completed before the shift was finalized, which might be why it claims this is going to theaters.

Granted, they could have just redubbed Brand's character with another actor, but after the rough year they've had I don't blame Paramount for just cutting their losses and letting it die. Hopefully David Soren rebounds from this and finds a fulfilling career path elsewhere.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Russell Brand... That honestly explains a whole lot. I'm just going to put this out there: I think the Paramount suits knew about the allegations against Brand for months, and that's the real reason why this is getting dumped on Paramount+, at least in the US. Until otherwise proven, this is my view on the matter. I also think this trailer was completed before the shift was finalized, which might be why it claims this is going to theaters.

Granted, they could have just redubbed Brand's character with another actor, but after the rough year they've had I don't blame Paramount for just cutting their losses and letting it die. Hopefully David Soren rebounds from this and finds a fulfilling career path elsewhere.

That may be true which I can see (that trailer was definitely sitting there for a minute (also think the theory about the suits knowing Brand being an offender and groomer ahead of time probably led to the Plus idea, as I got a feeling that July article was actually written in June)) but the timing of the trailer as the trailer was unlisted today about a week before Paw Patrol’s release. Soren also said on Instagram he had news about the project. I think also Paramount might not have a lot of its 2024 slate ready with the strikes going on. Bob Marley and Quiet Place are the only live action movies ready to go. 

IF seems likely to still make it, albeit pushed some into the later half of 2024. Transformers One is still likely but I can see it being pushed slightly to make more space between itself and Beasts or if the strike prevents voice acting and they went through a last minute story change. There’s no way MI8 is ready for next year, same for Gladiator 2 and Sonic 3 if the strikes continue as long as they are. Boardwalk and Mean Girls The Musical, though not as big as the latter 3, could act as some placeholders so they still have a slate next year in case one or two movies can’t make it.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1