Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

7 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Don't see why it's a bad thing to have open caption previews, means everyone can get involved which is nice. BFI IMAX are showing their Gladiator 2 preview with open captions which is pretty cool

7 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

yeah, Gladiator is only available to show with open captions for the Thursday preview.

I think it is an admirable thought, but ultimately going around it the wrong way. The general public actively avoid captioned shows

Yeah I’m absolutely not saying open captioned previews are a bad thing, they should be encouraged, but they should at least offer both versions. Thursday evening would’ve been perfect for me to watch Smile 2 and Gladiator 2 after work with my dad, but I’m not watching them with subs. I know it’s relatively “first world problems”, but if subs are there, I find them to be a distraction where I inevitably end up reading them. Obviously not an issue with foreign films, but for English language films, I’d always opt for the non-subtitled performances and wouldn’t even consider the open captioned screenings.

Just looking at my local for Gladiator 2, and the subtitled Thursday showing in their biggest screen has sold 2 tickets, whereas the 7:30pm Friday night showing has sold around 40 so far. People are actively avoiding the Thursday showing because of the captions. It’d make more sense for Paramount to offer cinemas the previews on the proviso that they included at least one evening subtitled showing along with a regular showing. If they don’t agree, don’t give them the previews. Simple.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1