baumer

Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)

Grade it  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I saw this movie a couple weeks ago, and the more I think about it, the better and better it gets. I especially love the way Zak is written. A weaker script would have made him having Down syndrome as something to pity or take his character in a more sappy direction. But the creative team knew how to use Gottsagen's abilities and make him fully three-dimensional, where he does face discrimination and issues, but his disability isn't his only character trait. I really hope Gottsagen gets more work from this.

• Like 2

A really great film from beginning to end! Very impressive setpieces for an independent film! I loved how the film invoked the feel of Mark Twain stories; I even saw that the colorization was perhaps similar to O Brother, Where Art Thou?. This is a film that's very meaningful to me, and it's one of my favorites of the year so far!

• Like 1

I was a bit suprised by this.

On the surface it might look a lot like the billionth sundance quirky comedy that already reached self-parody status a decade ago, but instead of being forced and hollow it's genuinely touching. Ofc it's formulaic and works more as a fable than actual reality, but it's very well done. The characters and the actors playing them are all very endearing and I really cared by the end for them to reach their happy end. That mini fakeout at the the hospital kinda scared my for a moment lol.

What a sweet little movie. I'm glad it became a hit out of nowhere, I can see why.