Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Weird...Snowpiercer in October, long after South Korea...

Doesn't seem weird at all--I can't remember a Korean film getting anything near a day-and-date release in any foreign market.* Plus they're reportedly planning a screening at the Busan festival in early October (which will have a lot of international press around) and they won't want to undermine that by releasing it earlier in international markets.

*Edit: Apparently Masquerade opened day-and-date in the U.S. and Korea. But that was distributed in the U.S. by the Korean studio themselves, it was an incredibly limited release (BOM says it never played on more than 7 screens at once), and it needed no substantial marketing because they were targeting the Korean expat community. A movie like Snowpiercer has much broader potential appeal and needs to be handled more carefully.

Edited by Bob Violence

Doesn't seem weird at all--I can't remember a Korean film getting anything near a day-and-date release in any foreign market.* Plus they're reportedly planning a screening at the Busan festival in early October (which will have a lot of international press around) and they won't want to undermine that by releasing it earlier in international markets.

*Edit: Apparently Masquerade opened day-and-date in the U.S. and Korea. But that was distributed in the U.S. by the Korean studio themselves, it was an incredibly limited release (BOM says it never played on more than 7 screens at once), and it needed no substantial marketing because they were targeting the Korean expat community. A movie like Snowpiercer has much broader potential appeal and needs to be handled more carefully.

I see Snowpiercer as an Hollywood movie, not South Korean, so I expected reliable release dates...

It's not a Hollywood production or even a co-production. The backing was all Korean--there was never a Hollywood studio involved, though there was some American investment that didn't come through in the end. CJ Entertainment have handled the international end by selling off distribution rights territory by territory. It's not like a Hollywood film, where the studio can self-distribute the movie in most markets and local distributors in the remaining markets will synchronize their release dates with the studio's.

It's not a Hollywood production or even a co-production. The backing was all Korean--there was never a Hollywood studio involved, though there was some American investment that didn't come through in the end. CJ Entertainment have handled the international end by selling off distribution rights territory by territory. It's not like a Hollywood film, where the studio can self-distribute the movie in most markets and local distributors in the remaining markets will synchronize their release dates with the studio's.

So it's an English-speaking Korean movie with white actors? Interesting :P

Yep, though there are some big Korean actors in it too, and supposedly something like 20% of the dialogue is in Korean. They probably felt the project was too ambitious to do it all in Korean with Korean actors. It's much easier to get big international sales (and therefore more money) if you have English dialogue and globally-recognizable actors. Of course globally-recognizable actors can demand higher salaries, so your budget goes up, then you need more money to recover your costs...it's a delicate balance, but that's the film industry for you.

This year is a little bit disapppointing in Russia, apart from Iron Man 3...No movies beyond 50m, when you think Avatar grossed $120m in a smaller Russian market, same thing for POTC4 ($65m in 2011, well done Sparrow).

I hope The Hobbit 2 can breakthrough, it's the last hope of the year.

Sure we got nice surprises and it's basically a good year, but I would like huge numbers reflecting the size of the market, South Korea is smaller but its numbers are more impressive.

This year is a little bit disapppointing in Russia, apart from Iron Man 3...No movies beyond 50m, when you think Avatar grossed $120m in a smaller Russian market, same thing for POTC4 ($65m in 2011, well done Sparrow).

I hope The Hobbit 2 can breakthrough, it's the last hope of the year.

Sure we got nice surprises and it's basically a good year, but I would like huge numbers reflecting the size of the market, South Korea is smaller but its numbers are more impressive.

Nothing came close to Avatar's numbers in Spain, Italy, South Korea, Australia, Germany e.t.c.. Even in France only one local film beat it but once again nothing from Hollywood.