Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Last year Russian film market had around 0.11 ratio to USThis year it could be 0.13-0.14

But this numbers include everything (even local Russian production). As we are interested to compare blockbuster performance in both markets I summed up the top 20 (not necessarily the same movies) in each market without local(Russian) movies and get RUS/DOM = $482m/$3,786m = 0.1274 for 2011.So only the top half of the movies are overperformers in the Russian market. That gets rid of all SH movies except Megamind. Edited by Rudolf

But this numbers include everything (even local Russian production). As we are interested to compare blockbuster performance in both markets I summed up the top 20 (not necessarily the same movies) in each market without local(Russian) movies and get RUS/DOM = $482m/$3,786m = 0.1274 for 2011.So only the top half of the movies are overperformers in the Russian market. That gets rid of all SH movies except Megamind.

What's your point?

Superhero movies underperform in Russia-CIS.

It's not a surprise, the US is the land of comics and superheroes, Russia isn't familiar about this culture, Russians couldn't read US comics during the USSR era.Consequently I think superheroes movies there have great scores, and I think it's just the beginning : these movies will have more success in the future there, maybe The Avengers will be the first of the list :)

It's not a surprise, the US is the land of comics and superheroes, Russia isn't familiar about this culture, Russians couldn't read US comics during the USSR era.Consequently I think superheroes movies there have great scores, and I think it's just the beginning : these movies will have more success in the future there, maybe The Avengers will be the first of the list :)

I am planing to make similar list of other markets. Do you think SH-movies are overperformers in France? (If Asterix doesn't count that is).

I am planing to make similar list of other markets. Do you think SH-movies are overperformers in France? (If Asterix doesn't count that is).

That could be interesting :)And for France, no they don't overperform, clearly not, only Spiderman movies are really successful there.

Spider-Man grossed strong $3.53 mln in Russia but no one cared whether it was based on a comic book or not. It wasn't even a superhero movie here. Just somewhere between usuually popular sci-fi and fantasy.

Edited by juni78ukr

Spider-Man grossed strong $3.53 mln in Russia but no one cared whether it was based on a comic book or not. It wasn't even a superhero movie here. Just somewhere between usuually popular sci-fi and fantasy.

Good thing for The Amazing Spiderman I guess ;)

Good thing for The Amazing Spiderman I guess ;)

First Spider-Man film was liked by many here. The second...well not so much. The general opinion was that the third sucked. People also don't get the whole "reboot" thing. Who needs it? And all those numerous villains from comic books mostly make no sense here.

So maybe our distributors just borrowed the title from them. Funny thing that we have a TV channel called 1+1. Actually from French films this year only Asterix and Obelix should make good money. Probably with good marketing Marsupilami also has a chance.

I always read Marsupilami comics at my hair dresser, when I was a boy. I doubt that Russian boys ever did that. Nevertheless it will work here too.

First Spider-Man film was liked by many here. The second...well not so much. The general opinion was that the third sucked. People also don't get the whole "reboot" thing. Who needs it? And all those numerous villains from comic books mostly make no sense here.

I feel you don't like SH movies ;)We'll see, but I'm very confident about Avenges,Spiderman and Batman there ^^

RUSSIA BOX OFFICE 19-22 APRIL ADMISSIONS1-Battleship : 1,492,000 (week 1)2-21 Jump Street : 142,000 (week 2)3-Titanic 3D : 114,000 (week 3)4-American Reunion : 102,000 (week 3)5-Les Infidèles : 70,000 (week 1)

Edited by Fullbuster

TOTAL ADMISSIONS RUSSIA :Battleship : 1,492,00021 Jump Street : 628,000American Reunion : 1,597,000The Hunger Games : 1,919,000Titanic 3D : 1,310,000Wrath of The Titans : 2,577,000What do you think about it? Impressive first week for Battleship, it appealed to Russians :)Pretty satisfied for The Hunger Games and American Reunion :)

I neither expected BS nor the 2 American and 1 French comedy to do so well.

I'm not sure "well" is the good word for Les Infidèles, it's $1819 per screen..Battleship has $13,800 per screen, American Reunion has $1700 per screen but it's in its third week...Not great for me :(But Battlship can be applaud, in admissions it's the second best start of 2012 after John Carter.I expect more than 2,000,000 admissions in first week for The Avengers :)

I always read Marsupilami comics at my hair dresser, when I was a boy. I doubt that Russian boys ever did that. Nevertheless it will work here too.

French animated TV-series was rather popular a few years ago. One of the main tv-channels showed it for a while. Besides it's just light-hearted positive and funny adventure movie. People will definitely like it. You just need a moderate advertising to carry the message.