Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

So is Maleficent locked to win the year? Looking at the releases for the rest of 2014 you have Penguins of Madagascar (the last one did over 28M in Brazil) that has the strongest chance of overtaking it (still, it's a spin-off). Then you have Exodus (Noah did very good, but even so I don't see this being that big), Hobbit 3 and Hunger Games 3 (unlikely, since the last two did 17-18M), Interstellar (highly doubt it), Big Hero 6 (next to 0 chances since Frozen, with all the hype only did 21.7M.). Any local movies that could compete with Maleficent? 

Also, I'm very interested in 2015. Any predictions for top 5-10? :D

I only compare numbers. The master of predictions is Fullbuster!!!  ;)

• Like 1

Fantastic job Henry :D

That's weird to see Noah is third in gross but only fifth in admissions :o By the way this movie had the most expensive ticketd, it's quite surprising.

Ticket prices are interesting, an average ticket price of $5.63 is very cheap for Brazil given how expensive life is there, that would explain why the growth of the BO is way better than the economic growth as a whole : it's a cheap way to have fun.

I just wanted to know the average ticket price to compare with the one in Argentina. The are pretty similar ($5.93 in Argentina). BTW, the highest ticket prices there are for Trans4mers and DotPotA ($6.42 and $6.43)

• Like 1

So is Maleficent locked to win the year? Looking at the releases for the rest of 2014 you have Penguins of Madagascar (the last one did over 28M in Brazil) that has the strongest chance of overtaking it (still, it's a spin-off). Then you have Exodus (Noah did very good, but even so I don't see this being that big), Hobbit 3 and Hunger Games 3 (unlikely, since the last two did 17-18M), Interstellar (highly doubt it), Big Hero 6 (next to 0 chances since Frozen, with all the hype only did 21.7M.). Any local movies that could compete with Maleficent? 

Also, I'm very interested in 2015. Any predictions for top 5-10? :D

Maleficent will probably win the year, none of the movies you're talking about are likely to beat,unless a big jump for THG3 but I don't see it beyond 25m. And no local movies could beat it, the only big local franchise is Tropa de Elite and they stopped doing it so no.

2015 will have so many movies so it's really difficult to forecast, the only certainty is that : The Avengers 2 will be first and will completely destroy everything else, the first grossed $64m, it's no mean feat!

And by the way, Frozen didn't benefit from any hype in Brazil, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph grossed more..So there is no way to predict BH6, it could pass Frozen, I see it between 20-25m.

My forecasts for you (but they're not worth anything, be warned :P ) :

-The Avengers 2 : 70-75m (it could be much higher but the weak economy and the reinforcing of the dollar currency via a monetary tightening will give us a disadvantageous exchange rate)

-Star Wars Episode VII : $30m (the franchise is not that famous there, the country was way too poor in the 70s to afford it and the market way to small 13 years ago)

-Cinderella could be a welcome surprise, a bit like Maleficent, so 25-30m

-Fast & Furious 7 : $35m

-Jurassic World : I have no idea about its potential there, I have nothing to compare with. Beyond 20m is quite a safe bet but by how much is another story...

-Fifty Shades of Grey : $40m (yes, let's be crazy, the potential is huge in Brazil given they love this kind of thing)

-Ant-Man : $20m

-Spongebob 2 : $15m

-Jupiter Ascending : $25m

-The Fantastic Four : $20m

-Pan : 24m (Hugh Jackman is very famous there so he will help)

-Ted 2 : $15m

-The Hunger Games 4 : $35m

-Kung Fu Panda 3 : $25m

• Like 2

Lets hope TH3 will overcome THG3, and be nr 1 :P

I would love that given I loved TH2 (Smaug, what a beast B)  ) but it's very unlikely, TH2 stagnated and couldn't pass TH1...But TH3 will be the last one and people thought TH2 was better so I bet on $25m for TH3. With $30m I would be very happy :)

• Like 1

I guess you're from Dutch-speaking Belgium?

Yes I am from the Dutch-speaking part, but I also speak French (not good at the writing but I understand a lot of french)

Is it the same in french that if you get 10/20 your pass (at the uneversity) and with 8/20 (40%) you got to redo it?