Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Same here !

There are three majors theaters in Brussels (2 from UGC and one from KINEPOLIS, the biggest cinematIc complex in town). 

Kinepolis usually splitted the number of sessions between the original version in one part and the dubbed version (french with dutch subtitles) in other part.

One UGC theater basicly shows overwhelmingly the french dubbed version with dutch subtitles a few sessions only are in the original verion with french/dutch subtitles), hence attracting many families with young children.

The last one, near my place features overwhelmingly original version of movies with french/dutch subtitles.

FF7 was released on April the 1st and was out from my theater last monday.  It basicly lasted the entire two weeks of easter vacations and then gone !

I expect FF7 to lose about 70% of its screens on the second UGC theaters on wednesday, starting with 100% of the original version removed like they always do.

Kinepolis will last a little while as its the biggest complex and they have more screens.  They are usually the last one in the country to pull out movies

Of course it's just Brussels but it gives you an idea how it works as everwhere else but in Antwerp,the second most important city,  its often worse with much smaller theaters here and there, featuring usualy only dubbed version in either french (in Walloonia) or dutch (in Flanders).

If any US blockbuster is released, you basicly have to consume it quickly because it got pulled out pretty quickly as soon as another one is released or even before it. 

Whereas a small drama, an animtion or a french movie will last for weeks and weeks as they are more popular in terms of larger targets.

The turnover is just terrible in here.  Most theaters have been build for small scale intimiste movies from neighbooring France and not for big blockbusters whose numbers have multiplied this last decade, without new infrastructures built to absorb that influx. 

Hence there is some big screen saturation for those movies whereas french movies or small scale US ones stay longer with the multiple screens built for them.

That's a bit weird, Belgium is a developed country, it should be better equiped, I don't feel we have this problem here in France.

All this movie spent for watching a movie 4 times :o

Personally In ever watched more than once in a theater, it's more than enough :P

Will you watch MJ2 10 times? :P

Don't be a liar, we all know that you watched Avengers 1 at least 22 times in theater :P

Well, I watched MJ1 8 times in theater, 10 is locked for Part 2. :P

• Like 2

All this movie spent for watching a movie 4 times :o

Personally In ever watched more than once in a theater, it's more than enough :P

Will you watch MJ2 10 times? :P

I saw Cinderella for the second time last Wednesday. I wanted to see Frozen Fever in English ;) also Ella is so much better with British accent than in Spanish. The funny thing was that in the original version the princess who was going to marry Ella's prince was from Zaragoza and in the dubbed version she was from Andalusia :P

• Like 2

I saw Cinderella for the second time last Wednesday. I wanted to see Frozen Fever in English ;) also Ella is so much better with British accent than in Spanish. The funny thing was that in the original version the princess who was going to marry Ella's prince was from Zaragoza and in the dubbed version she was from Andalusia :P

A big Frozen fan, I see. :P

• Like 2

Damn I still didn't see Frozen Fever!

So what is the all time OW record? :)

In dollars => FF7 ($11.3m)

FF7 also got 2,259,000 admissions.

The Avengers got $10.8m OW and 1,618,000 admissions so The Avengers will beat it easily in admissions, it will also have higher ticket prices so it will partly offset the very disadvantageous exchange rates.

How far AoU would go with a 13M OW? No chance of beating 63.9M total of TA?  :(

I expect it to pass $50m but not much higher.

It is quite complicated :

-In local currency and admissions I think TA2 will pass TA1 because the market is bigger than in 2012

-The problem is the strong decrease of the Brazilian Real against the Dollar (-41%), that means it would need to reach around the equivalent of $90m with the exchange rates of 2012 to just reach $63.9m (TA1) with today's rates. That's how disadvantageous the exchange rates is, and I don't think the market is big enough for a movie to reach $90m with 2012 exchange rates (Brazil is promising on the long term but it's still twice smaller than France as a movie market). In Dollars the Brazilian market is smaller than in 2012, that's how big the fall of the Brazilian Real is. Economic laws can be cruel...

So why would it be very difficult to beat it despite a bigger OW? The popularity of comicbook movies and this Avengers brand strongly grew in Brazil so that means a bigger start, even in Dollars, but that also means it will be more frontloaded with smaller legs...

I hope my explanation is clear :)

Edited by Fullbuster

I expect it to pass $50m but not much higher.

It is quite complicated :

-In local currency and admissions I think TA2 will pass TA1 because the market is bigger than in 2012

-The problem is the strong decrease of the Brazilian Real against the Dollar (-41%), that means it would need to reach around the equivalent of $90m with the exchange rates of 2012 to just reach $63.9m (TA1) with today's rates. That's how disadvantageous the exchange rates is, and I don't think the market is big enough for a movie to reach $90m with 2012 exchange rates (Brazil is promising on the long term but it's still twice smaller than France as a movie market). In Dollars the Brazilian market is smaller than in 2012, that's how big the fall of the Brazilian Real is. Economic laws can be cruel...

So why would it be very difficult to beat it despite a bigger OW? The popularity of comicbook movies and this Avengers brand strongly grew in Brazil so that means a bigger start, even in Dollars, but that also means it will be more frontloaded with smaller legs...

I hope my explanation is clear :)

How far F7 would go?