Eric the Marxist

Elio | June 13, 2025 | Pixar | Domee Shi (Turning Red) directs

https://ew.com/pixar-future-pete-docter-interview-inside-out-series-monsters-inc-sequel-8662040

Focusing on more diverse voices in filmmaking has been a priority for you for a long time. Would you say that it’s still a priority? 

Absolutely. I have a great slide of the directors from seven years ago versus the directors now, and it's a whole wide group of filmmakers. Regardless of diversity, any time someone goes in for the first time, there's a steep learning curve. Domee Shi, who's already done Turning Red, is working on Elio, and you can see the experience level. Enrico Casarosa, who did Luca, is doing another one that's just night and day. 

Domee Shi? In what capacity is she working on Elio?

Co-director credit I guess. Hopefully things didn't go too south with Molina's original vision that he was replaced.

Docter also confirms they have another original after this movie and before TS5

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Co-director credit I guess. Hopefully things didn't go too south with Molina's original vision that he was replaced.

Docter also confirms they have another original after this movie and before TS5

I wonder if that's the rumored Ducks movie.

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Okay the EW interview makes me feel a lot better on the state of Pixar and Docter though the Bloomberg piece and a bit of Elizabeth Ito thing has me sideeyeing somewhat. Maybe Docter is just bad at the PR game.

7 minutes ago, YM! said:

Okay the EW interview makes me feel a lot better on the state of Pixar and Docter though the Bloomberg piece and a bit of Elizabeth Ito thing has me sideeyeing somewhat. Maybe Docter is just bad at the PR game.

I don't think it really changes much for my perspective. Bloomberg and Time articles are still discouraging, if only a little bit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YM! said:

I wonder if that's the rumored Ducks movie.

I wonder if they're implying the March 2026 movie is Domee Shi's movie, though that would be incredible turnaround and she's already apparently working on Elio.

I’ll watch anything Domme Shi does after the delightful Turning Red 

Unless this means some huge change of path in Molina movie (which i doubt), i think is good news that Domee is co-directing this. Her personality can bring good things to this alien approach.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’ll watch anything Domme Shi does after the delightful Turning Red 

Unless this means some huge change of path in Molina movie (which i doubt), i think is good news that Domee is co-directing this. Her personality can bring good things to this alien approach.

Well Docter never said if it was co-director or full director, or if she's a director on this movie at all... I wonder what the credit will be.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I wonder if they're implying the March 2026 movie is Domee Shi's movie, though that would be incredible turnaround and she's already apparently working on Elio.

Domee Shi has such a strong voice. Honestly think she could be one of my favorite Pixar directors.

• Like 1