Eric Duncan

Weekdays Thread (9/19-22)

12 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Royce you're doubling about this on here and on r/boxoffice. You can get away with it there, but not here.

OK...but what's missing is a substantive argument against the hypothesis. Can you provide one? I just pulled opening week daily grosses of 10 or so films released withing a week or two of this film and looked at their daily grosses. I feel like I've been pretty open about what I do and don't know about well these comps fit but the data's story seems pretty simple to me. It looks like Ad Astra not Contagion.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure how to engage with this lazy dunk. I'm not claiming it's pretty deep analysis, but its a pretty conceptually simple argument that just boils down to pulling comps. Not sure why the place I chose to post it first matters?  I'd love to get someone else's thoughts on the matter. It's a film with a lot of interesting and anomalous aspects. Seems worth having at least one page of discussion for the film's daily numbers given people seem to squeeze out a dozen for a random blockbuster. My main point is simply that TWK's daily grosses are worth discussing and I'm attempting to jump start discussion.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

OK...but what's missing is a substantive argument against the hypothesis. Can you provide one? I just pulled opening week daily grosses of 10 or so films released withing a week or two of this film and looked at their daily grosses. I feel like I've been pretty open about what I do and don't know about well these comps fit but the data's story seems pretty simple to me. It looks like Ad Astra not Contagion.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure how to engage with this lazy dunk. I'm not claiming it's pretty deep analysis, but its a pretty conceptually simple argument that just boils down to pulling comps. Not sure why the place I chose to post it first matters?  I'd love to get someone else's thoughts on the matter. It's a film with a lot of interesting and anomalous aspects. Seems worth having at least one page of discussion for the film's daily numbers given people seem to squeeze out a dozen for a random blockbuster. My main point is simply that TWK's daily grosses are worth discussing and I'm attempting to jump start discussion.

God you write a lot and say very little

• Disbelief 1

40 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

God you write a lot and say very little

First paragraph is pretty concise and second one is just responding to your shitty behavior that seemingly only exists to get a rise out of me.  

At least I'm wasting my time trying to spark good faith engagement instead of wasting my time trying to troll someone over nerdy weekday box office numbers discussion.

As I said in one of those reddit comments "I never do daily weekday tracking so this is mostly me shrugging my shoulders." I'm just pulling September ~19M OW films and eyeballing what looks like a similar run. I'm definitely open to being wrong, just tell me where's the beef. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

I mean PlatnumRoyce has a point. Woman King is slightly behind Ad Astra at the time. And by comparison, Moneyball was shaping up better on Wednesday and Thursday. That indicates about 10M for its second weekend, which is again on par with Ad Astra. But that doesn't mean Woman King can't or won't hold up better. I think since it has better reception, and legs in general have been better for movies these days compared to 2019 that things will still be fine for the film and it could still reach 70M+. But it's still worth talking about and we don't have to mock or go after somebody who wants to bring up interesting details like this. Besides, not like there's anything else to talk about really.

• Like 1