Amsterdam (2022)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

An absolute mess that takes way too long to finally get going and never seems to find the right tone, as it comes across as two completely different movies clumsily crammed into one. Also likely to go down as the biggest waste of a phenomenal cast in 2022 (although it must be said that John David Washington is quickly becoming one of those actors who I'm becoming less impressed with with each new movie). Say what one wants about David O. Russell as a person, but at least his previous movies had a spark to them that didn't make them feel like a chore to sit through. The costumes and production design are strong, but that's not enough to endorse such an empty motion picture otherwise. C

• Like 1

This might be one of the worst movies of its caliber that I think I've ever seen. David O. Russell sucks, but his career would've been dead and buried decades ago if his previous films were anywhere near as dull and terribly made as this. No one involved was any good (how do you pair up Mike Myers and Michael Shannon and then just fucking waste that opportunity to this degree?!), and even the technical stuff was either crap or wildly misused. I hated nearly every minute of this and you'd have to pay me by the thousands to get me to watch it again.

I have mixed feelings about this movie. I kinda sorta liked it...maybe? I like the general idea of it: three friends from WW1 who get caught up in a political conspiracy in the 1930s. But this movie has a momentum problem, there wasn't a real sense of urgency throughout which made it feel slow at times. this movie did not need to be 2 hours and the story/script absolutely needed to be tightened up, would have definitely been more bored watching this in a theater than at home on streaming where I watched it in parts essentially over the course of a day.

The acting was...serviceable at best. I didn't feel much passion from any of the actors except Christian Bale and Margot Robbie, they kinda seemed into it. John David Washington was so-so but I think he is/can be a capable actor when given the right material and direction and hey he got to kiss and hug Margot Robbie which is never a bad position to be in.

• Like 1

Ugh, this was a slog. No momentum propelling the story forward, and whenever there did seem to be a little bit of intrigue, it quickly vanished amidst scenes that were overlong and lacked focus. Didn’t really have a problem with any of the acting, it was just everything around it that was a chore to sit through.