rockNrollaDIM

Movie Blogger Discussion Thread

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS!!!

Jeff "The Pomp" Wells and Sasha "The Crone" Stone have DIVORCED.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/09/oscar_poker_94.php

"Sasha Stone and I have decided to go our separate ways, and poor Phil Contrino has been left high and dry. I won't go into details, but Sasha and I have different intrepretations of the classic Phoebe Ephron line (which was later used by her daughter Nora) "everything is copy." A couple of hours ago I did a solo with Marshall Fine about Life of Pi, generation gaps between critics, Anna Karenina, Manohla Dargis and related topics."

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

Oscar Poker will continue on with @wellshwood but I am no longer participating. I am instead doing a new one called Oscar Podcast with Craig Kennedy @LivingInCinema and Ryan Adams @filmystic who were gracious enough to step in. Link details coming.

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

You can find Jeff Wells at his site, http://hollywood-elsewhere.com he will continue to do Oscar Poker without me.

:o

Posted Image

Wow wow wow! This is biggest split since Tom and Katie! What will happen next?? I foresee some extra epic meltdowns going forward as a result.

Let the mudslinging begin!

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

Believe it or not, one of the few male bloggers to write about the NY Times debate on women in film, none other than @wellshwood

Hollywood Elsewhere@wellshwood

@AwardsDaily Your snide, patronizing bullshit is...uhm, well...quite snide and patronizing!

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

@wellshwood No idea what you are talking, dude.

Edited by Silver Linings aDIM

Oh. Shit.

The pot shots are flying now.

http://hollywood-els...ar_poker_95.php

Hollywood Reporter award-season columnist Scott Feinberg and I talked for an hour last night about everything. Scott and I talk the same language so it was a good fit.

I guess I'm being extra-assertive about posting Oscar Poker chats in order to assert that I almost feel liberated without Sasha because now I don't have to sidestep the fact that she hasn't seen this or that new film because she had to do something with her daughter.

Wells to Jessecrall: I didn't provide any details until Sasha's attack dogs, Kris Tapley and Ryan Adams, tried to give me a judgmental tongue-lashing. Sasha had obviously given them a chapter-and-verse version of her side of the tale ("He betrayed me! I thought he was my friend!"), and gave them the oblique go-ahead to defend her at will, and as far as I was concerned once they tried slapping me around that was license to go to town and slap right back.

:rofl:

Sasha right now, to be honest:

Posted Image

This is epic and Wells is right to bring up Crone Jr because that "kid" who is a teenager already is annoying reference in many of her mom`s blogs. She`s to AD what Harry Knowles nephew, who famously shit his pants when he saw Hulk, is to AICN.Wells was so dormant while schtupping Crone and now he`s back to being himself. Loving it!

Boy, this is the gift that keeps on giving. Went into ADF and one of the posters theorizes the rift could have come from this post where Wells trashes Sasha's feminist agenda and basically dismisses her ability as a critic:

It finally hit me what the argument against Silver Linings Playbook might be and why certain female critics and columnists (i.e., those who don't necessarily see movies and roles and performances as creative expressions in and of themselves but elements that may or may not advance a certain forward-march, proactively feminist agenda) might have an issue with it.

In short, the Silver Linings milieu is too male, too blue-collar, too football-fanatic and not positive enough in terms of pushing strong, independent-minded, take-charge, stand-their-own-ground female characters. Tiffany, in short, is too emotionally vulnerable and isn't Katniss Everdeen enough.

Just listen to Awards Daily's Sasha Stone, who's something of a we-go-girls essayist when it comes assessing the worth of this or that film by way of positive or not-so-positive aspects of its female characters.

I just said it's one path or avenue that a certain type of critic-essayist might take in order to push against this film. Clearly that's partly what Sasha is on about. Why isn't Tiffany a single-mom police detective or a champion kick-boxer? Why doesn't she have a bow-and-arrow hanging on the wall in her kitchen?

:rotfl:

There is truth in the madness.

http://hollywood-els...ured_it_out.php

Edited by Silver Linings aDIM

Only thing he`s wrong here is that Crone is anti-SLP because Tiffany isn`t Katniss. Crone doesn`t care for Katniss. She is Salander (remember that has been character?) bitche. Crone wouldn`t be caught dead campaigning for Katniss Oscar nom and she wrote a big essay about stupid fuckin Merida the stitch bitch`s No.1 boxoffice weekend but nada about THG.