kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

I'm not as sure as everybody else is that Muschietti will be out after this. It doesn't seem like the movie's quality was the foremost problem for Flash, and he delivered two absolutely massively profitable movies in a row before that. When's the last time a male director was kicked out immediately after his first flop? Yeah Flash is kind of a flop for the ages, but there are so many factors around it that brought it down, I'm not sure Muschietti will be the first reason execs gravitate towards 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I am tired of watching what I feel like Nolan’s Batman reruns. And this is coming from someone that actually loves The Batman. The whole idea behind Brave and the Bold seems a lot more intriguing to me. And yes, if anything MCU’s Spider-Man and Spider-Verse 100% proves that people are actually eager for a fresh take from these characters that are more faithful to how they’ve always been depicted in the comics. Sick of Batman Year One films, sick of broody Murderman from BvS. Give me something new for a change.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

So you don’t think the MCU having to rely on non-MCU characters (Tobey and Andrew’s Spider-Man, Deadpool, Wolverine) to boost their franchise is a sign of a decline at all?

I don’t believe the hilarious mental gymnastics that people go out of their way to claim Marvel is declining, yes. I think it’s one whole lot of bullshit preached as gospel. It’s more wishful thinking than factual, with a lot of caveats to justify when the films do blow up. 

3 minutes ago, Dephira said:

I'm not as sure as everybody else is that Muschietti will be out after this. It doesn't seem like the movie's quality was the foremost problem for Flash, and he delivered two absolutely massively profitable movies in a row before that. When's the last time a male director was kicked out immediately after his first flop? Yeah Flash is kind of a flop for the ages, but there are so many factors around it that brought it down, I'm not sure Muschietti will be the first reason execs gravitate towards 

I’m not sure either, neither I think it’s fair to blame him either. It was an impossible job. Other directors would have quit last year and it would be understandable.

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah it was

If that were true I don't think it would have opened under Black Adam numbers. Don't get me wrong, it certainly didn't connect with audiences whatsoever once they saw it, but that's just one in a loooong line of problems it had

Just now, Dephira said:

If that were true I don't think it would have opened under Black Adam numbers. Don't get me wrong, it certainly didn't connect with audiences whatsoever once they saw it, but that's just one in a loooong line of problems it had

It had a terrible IM. If it was better it would have had a higher opening.

Then comes Avengers: Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars, it blows up records once again and I can already read the headlines:

‘Marvel Studios glorious return as box office juggernauts’

And the same old hot takes:

‘Has Marvel Studios truly returned? Or this is big only because all the superheroes are once again together? When this nightmare will be over?’

The naysayers are so incredibly boring, predictable and… yawn.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

You say this but you literally did this whole song and dance 6 months ago when you said Quantumania would hit $400m dom lol

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Then comes Avengers: Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars, it blows up records once again and I can already read the headlines:

And the same old hot takes:

‘Has Marvel Studios truly returned? Or this is big only because all the superheroes are once again together? When this nightmare will be over?’

Why are you shifting the focus onto movies that are still 3-5 years away? Right now, Marvel is in a state of relative decline. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Why are you shifting the focus onto movies that are still 3-5 years away? Right now, Marvel is in a state of relative decline. 

I can’t take posts like this seriously. I’ve been following this long enough to understand that this take doesn’t make one iota of sense.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I very much doubt so, Kang is not even popular with the GA, his movie with his name on it flopped,  not to mention superhero fatigue is real and really kicking in. This year proves it, not only with two major DC flops but with one with Marvel,

Disney saturated its own market with mediocre productions for years now, I really see them slowing and trying to make more quality movies but who knows how long that will take.

In the mean time I can see Avengers KD making 1.1B at the most and Avengers SW doing 1.5, if they can make the original Avengers cast returns (The new avengers are not as popular as the original cast). 

Edited by Belakor
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Is the superhero era coming to an end?

I don't know, I think IP is not going to be successful simply because it is IP anymore. There are so many superhero movies now, and people will only spend money to see the ones they think will be really worth it. Also, it is harder now for these movies to differentiate themselves. How do you stand out? How do you do something that's never been done before? No Way Home tapped into nostalgia in a huge way. Unfortunately, The Flash was released after so it was "been there, done that".

2 hours ago, MotionPictured said:

It says a lot then that even after "losing relevancy" that Jennifer Lawrence can open an R-Rated movie with $15m. And Margot Robbie at her peak can't open Babylon to $5m. Amsterdam only opened to $6.5m. Emma Stone's first movie after winning an Oscar was Battle of the Sexes. It opened to $525,000. Couldn't even make $1m.

It doesn't make sense to compare Lawrence to Julia Roberts in the 90s. Even Julia Roberts can't make those numbers today. Ticket to Paradise only opened to $16.5m and it was PG-13.

What do they have to do with her though? They were never as big as Lawrence at her peak. Lawrence being big a decade ago has absolutely nothing to do with now though. And lol if you think studios are paying their stars $25m so they can open movies to $15m, you realize how silly that sounds to say she was any kind of draw with that OW? 

2 minutes ago, Belakor said:

I very much doubt so, Kang is not even popular with the GA, his movie with his name on it flopped,  not to mention superhero fatigue is real and really kicking in. This year proves it, not only with two major DC flops but with one with Marvel,

Disney saturated its own market with mediocre productions for years now, I really see them slowing and trying to make more quality movies but who knows how long that will take.

In the mean time I can see Avengers KD making 1.1B at the most and Avengers SW doing 1.5, if they can make the original Avengers cast returns (The new avengers are not as popular as the original cast). 

This won’t be the last time that someone will underestimate Marvel Studios. It won’t be the last. It’s a pointless discussion and an waste of an wall of text, but I can assure you I will be around to collect all the crows.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

This won’t be the last time that someone will underestimate Marvel Studios. It won’t be the last. It’s a pointless discussion and an waste of an wall of text, but I can assure you I will be around to collect all the crows.

We get it you like Marvel.

• Haha 3

Just now, MotionPictured said:

I don't know, I think IP is not going to be successful simply because it is IP anymore. There are so many superhero movies now, and people will only spend money to see the ones they think will be really worth it. Also, it is harder now for these movies to differentiate themselves. How do you stand out? How do you do something that's never been done before? No Way Home tapped into nostalgia in a huge way. Unfortunately, The Flash was released after so it was "been there, done that".

Not really, Toby's Spiderman is far more popular and recent than Keaton's Batman. Afflecks's Batman was a hit and miss, not loved by  almost everyone like Bale's.  That was The Flash's mistake, relying on two not very popular interpretations of Batman, it could have done something more ambitious, like include every Batman ever or something like that.