rebelscum86

Anyone here play HSX, Hollywood Stock Exchange?

It's like it sounds, buy and sell shares of movies and stars trying to guess how they will do at the domestic boxoffice. I started way back in 1999, actually was member here about 10 years ago from playing HSX, then went dormant for a long time. I just started playing again on a whim and was very happy to see it still there.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

FOr along time I have wanted a Tycoon/SImulation type game where you start a studio and guide it's fortunes. "The Movies" which came out circa 2006, was an attempt to do this but had some major problems. It lost it's focus on the nitty gritty of running a studio. There have been a couple of other attempts but have fallen short.

One thing that "The Movies" did get right was giving you your choice of when to start a studio by decade, the 1920's being the earliests, the 2000s the latest with a choice of ending dates for the game also. You could play the full campaign  or just do a specific decade.

19 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

It's like it sounds, buy and sell shares of movies and stars trying to guess how they will do at the domestic boxoffice. I started way back in 1999, actually was member here about 10 years ago from playing HSX, then went dormant for a long time. I just started playing again on a whim and was very happy to see it still there.

I played from my teen years in 1996 til I joined here, so maybe 2017/2018?  I had an enormous account when I left (I think I was in the top .1%, but when you play that long...), but I left b/c it both stopped being fun and the movie conversations just weren't as good.  I've loved the ones here and am happy I made the change.

I played a little while in the early 2010s. Been vaguely wondering how it's doing and how accurate it is. More irrelevant now that I've found BoT tracking data but it seems like a decent way to get a quasi-objective baseline estimate for future films that haven't come onto actual tracking sites. 

I remembered it was made unavailable in Europe years ago and sadly that still seems to be the case. I really liked how it gave you a good read of the "average" box office prediction for certain movies, and to see almost in real time how news about movies would affect the predictions 

I played a long time ago and built up over $2 billion, got bored and reset my account to start over and got to $2.4 Billion.

I haven't played in years now, maybe 1 or 2 trades a year. I still pop in there every so often, it does have a good release schedule list showing every movie coming out for the next 2 months.