Saltburn (2023)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This is certainly...one trip of a movie. Emerald Fennell isn't really breaking any new ground here: it often plays like a combination of The Talented Mr. Ripley and Parasite, and the conclusion disappoints in how spells everything out for the viewer without no chance of ambiguity. I think the movie would've worked better if the audience had been left with a question of whether or not if Oliver was either an insecure creep who lucked out in successfully getting away with everything, instead of revealing that he was some sort of criminal mastermind with the brilliantly executed perfect plan to dissolve this family and take over their home. But I was able to fully get on board with it because Fennell mostly doesn't pretend it exists in the real world with just how batshit crazy it gets at times. And there were times where I just had to laugh at some of the insanity of it all. Oliver spying on Felix rubbing one out in the bathtub and then drinking the bathwater as it's draining. :hahaha:The cemetery scene! :hahaha:Oliver's fully naked romp at the end to "Murder on the Dancefloor" celebrating his evil victory. :hahaha:

Excellent and atmospheric production values (the home itself is almost a supporting character) and a strong cast helps the audience buy into the bonkers story. Barry Keoghan proves here why he's quickly cementing himself as one of the most magnetic actors of his generation: while he's no stranger to oddball parts, he remarkably pulls off every aspect of Oliver's complicated nature. I'm still not sure just how good of an actor Jacob Elordi really is, but I liked his performance here more than his Elvis in Priscilla and he's perfect for what Fennell is going for. The rest of the actors make a solid impression too, including a scene-stealing Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, and a fun glorified cameo from Carey Mulligan.

This isn't as effective as Promising Young Woman but Fennell is quickly proving herself to be a capable and stylish filmmaker fascinated with dark stories that leave an impression afterwards, regardless of whether you think positively of the movie or not. If she plans to use her clout as an Oscar winner going forward to continue making more future cult classics like this certainly is, I can't say I would complain. B

Edited by filmlover

On 1/12/2024 at 1:31 PM, Avatree said:

This is the most talked-about irl film in months and there’s only 1 reply in this thread????

More people were talking about it in the saltburn thread in the main forum. people don't really go to this part of the forum anymore. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

More people were talking about it in the saltburn thread in the main forum. people don't really go to this part of the forum anymore. 

fair enough thanks. yeah i can see most threads here are empty.

This section has (unfortunately) become largely neglected ever since COVID caused the near complete collapse of the theatrical exclusive window and rendering the physical media one essentially obsolete. Was a lot more active before 2020 (before then this certainly would've been theatrical exclusive for more than the five weeks that it was even with how little it made at the box office).

Back to this movie, I'm not even remotely surprised it's already becoming a camp classic. And spawning Jacob Elordi bath water candles. :lol:

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

It's less effort and more eyeballs to just talk about opinions of the movie in the main forum thread. This forum is most useful for older movies.

Except you cant talk about spoilers in the main thread. hence I thought there would be more people discussing the film here :)