YM!

YM Y10 Reviews - Triple XXX

Honorable Mentions: These group of films are films I had a fun reading experience with and really liked these films but just had something missing to make the top 25, be that execution or something missing.

Spoiler

@SLAM!'s Pac-Man

Spoiler

@MCKillswitch123's Money Heist

Spoiler
Spoiler

@Rorschach's Time After Time

Spoiler

@MCKillswitch123's Library of Babel

Spoiler

@SLAM!'s 9/11: Never Forget

• Like 2

Top 25:

Spoiler
  1. Penpal

2. Soil

3. Berserk: The Golden Age

4. Gateways: The Empire of Zenith

5. Maniac Magee 

6. A Walk in the London Rain

7. The Enormous Radio 

8. Let’s Eat Dad

9. The Set-Up 

10.  Cloud Cuckoo Land

11. Tailypo 

12. Titania’s Journey 

13. Smile 

14. (13b) Room 131 

15. Green Lanterns Corps: Evolution 

16. The Legend of Hollis Brown 

17. The Ballad of Busters Bones

18. The Valkyries vs The Galaxy

19. Fishergirls

20. Providence

21. Sony vs Nintendo

22. Happy Together

23. Operation Finality

24. Mouse Hunt

25. The Boy with The Green Eyes

It has been a great year y'all. October-December reviews and predictions, I will drop sometime tomorrow evening. This was a great year (even though it took as a minute to get there at the end - we still did it! :) ), and everyone bought their A-game. Here's to another ten years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Rorschach @cookie @MCKillswitch123, since your films made my top ten - I would like to give you all the opportunity to preread anyone of the various films I have in development for Y11. Since both Rorschach and MCKill got two films in the top 5, they get two picks each.

Infinite Studios’ Bodies of Interest (Action Comedy) (directed by Gina-Prince Bythewood) - January 15th, Y11

Spoiler

“When a fellow stripper goes missing, and the police are too negligent to care - rival strippers Champagne (Keke Palmer) and Glitter (Ana De Armas) are forced to go behind the law in order to solve this case, leaving their strip club Vibe and ending up on a caper in Miami that is bigger than they could ever imagine, facing hitmen, cokehead DJs and even worse Karens.”

Infinite Studios’ Don’t Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro (Romantic Comedy) (directed by Will Gluck) - February 12th, Y11

Spoiler

“Based on the popular anime, Naoto, an introverted sophomore at Kazehaya High School, prefers to draw and sculpt in his freetime. However, Naoto’s world is turned upside down as he runs afoul of freshman Hayase Nagatoro - who is torn between mercilessly teasing and not-so-secretly loving Naoto. Together, the two manage to help each other navigate high school and maybe form something out of it.” 

Infinite Studios’ Showstopper (Comedy/Musical) (directed by Seth MacFarlane) - March 19th, Y11

Spoiler

“Alicia (Renee Rapp), an aspirational Broadway understudy is sadly always the second best to someone else and never gets her chance to shine. However, Alicia's hopes and dreams of stardom may just be granted when an accident uncovers a gift not even Alicia knew: psionic abilities. So, what does a gal do with these strange abilities, cement herself on the top of the musical world - even if it means playing rough with the competition. After all - for great power, you need great irresponsibility.”

Endless Animation’s Twenty One (Rotoscoping Animation/Dramedy) (directed by Kate Purdy) - April 16th, Y11

Spoiler

“Liza (Hunter Schafer), an introverted young woman in her junior year of college. Upon near-death experience on her 21st birthday, Liza decides to reinvent herself creating a bucket list of things she wants to accomplish before her next birthday with help from her over-enthused roommate Madi (Maitreyi Ramakrishnan) and former childhood best friend Chase (Ian Alexander) as these young adults go on a journey of self-discovery, romance and friendship.”

Endless Animation’s The Storyteller (CG-2D Animation/Fantasy) (directed by Aphton Corbin) - May 21st, Y11 - IMAX

Spoiler

“In the futuristic city of Kisilan, Simon (Tyler James Williams) just landed the job of his dreams as City Comptroller in hopes of helping revitalize his old neighborhood. Unfortunately, dreams soon become fantasy as Simon is tasked to initiate a project that would lead to the demise of his old neighborhood. Simon’s unexpected saving grace, winds up being the enigmatic and delightfully eccentric Lukas Libreros (Mamoudou Athie), who has taken domicile in an old library. Lukas is revealed to have the uncanny ability to birth stories and fantasy into reality and together the two might just have what it takes to revitalize their home.”

Endless/DC’s Static Shock: City at War (Superhero) (directed by Kemp Powers) - July 23rd, Y11 - IMAX

Spoiler

“A few months after the events of The Siege of Savage, Virgil Hawkins (Niles Fitch) is on top of the world, preparing for college and his heroic alter-ego Static is revered as a hero. However, Virgil is still traumatized based on what Vandal Savage did to him but is forced to put coping on the backburner when tackling metahuman trafficking syndicate Bedlam and a law pushed by Governor Wade Eeling to register metahumans, Virgil must teamup with friends and enemies for a brighter future and peace at mind.”

Infinite Studios’ Grindset (Drama) (directed by Spike Lee) - September 18th, Y11

Spoiler

“DeVon, Ricky and Markus used to be the best of friends growing up but have grown apart over time and different neighborhoods with DeVon leaving the city of Milwaukee to the suburbs of Whitefish Bay. On the eve of the last day of ninth grade, Ricky and Markus implores DeVon’s help one more time to do one last score in an attempt to steal a new state of the art Kia to help finance medicine for Ricky’s kid sister. However, this leads them to a city-wide manhunt of both the police, rival gangs and the Kia Boys themselves as tensions between the former friends rise.”

Infinite Studios’ Untitled Detective Thriller (Thriller) (directed by Ryan Coogler) - October 2nd, Y11 

Spoiler

“In the present day, a hotshot detective (Michael B. Jordan) is called into action to investigate a series of murders of young black boys.”

Infinite Studios’ Shell Shocked (Drama) (directed by Kelly Fremon Craig) - October 23rd, Y11

Spoiler

“Kassandra Ahmad (Iman Vellani) is a high school senior, reeling from a school shooting at her high school that led to the death of her childhood friend (Haley Tsu) that happened a month ago. As Kassandra struggles with adjusting, attempts to honor her fallen friend by challenging her state’s current laws in order to make sure this doesn’t happen again at a school regardless of the odds against her, whilst coming to terms with her death.”

Endless Entertainment’s The Adventures of Tintin: The Calculus Affair (Adventure) (directed by Gore Verbinski) - November 3rd, Y11 - IMAX

Spoiler

“Young adventurer and investigator extraordinaire Tintin (Finn Wolfhard) must embark on a journey to save a dear friend Professor Calculus (Andy Serkis) - who recently discovered a miraculous machine that can destroy object using soundwaves - making the poor Professor a target to warring powerhouse nations of Borudaria and Syldavia. Tintin teams up with his trusty dog Snowy and the ornery Captain Haddock (Hugh Jackman) to make sure this new invention doesn’t escalate into world war.”

Endless Animation’s Inspector Gadget in a World Gone MAD (CG Animation/Action-Comedy) (directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic) - November 22nd, Y11

Spoiler

“Inspector Gadget (Jack McBrayer), Penny (Darby Camp) and Brain are forced to team up with the nefarious Dr. Claw (Cedric Yarborough), MADdie (Kimiko Glenn) and Mad Cat in order to stop a new evil villainess/Dr. Claw’s scorned ex-fiancée, Madame Woe (Da’Vine Joy Randolph) who has taken down both of their organizations using a specter that has the power to devolve. With the scepter at hand, Woe intends to use her heartbreak by bringing things to a primal world, in aims to rid Earth of emotion. The families must learn to get along if they want to save/conquer the planet.”

• Like 2

October

Pac-Man 

Spoiler

This was dumb but fuck it I had fun!
2.5/5

Paranormal lamronaraP

Spoiler

It is an okay-enough horror flick. Has the same cliches as any other ones but the found footage aspect can be mildly amusing.
2/5

The Boy with the Green Eyes

Spoiler

“Girl you deluded the minds of Tyler and Hunter, but still got GOT by them. I said, 'Don’t underestimate malicious gay f****try.'”
I'm so down for the hot and bothered Legion of Doom endgame the P&WCU sets up. Do feel the third act takes a turn and fixing Giovanni’s trauma with time travel is a swing that doesn't land for me, Green Eyes is another solid entry in the Poison and Wine series boasting banger musical numbers and entertaining ensembles.

3.5/5

Monster Farm 

Spoiler

Charming little family animation romp reminiscent to the Hotel Transylvania movies with some funny designs for the mismatch animal monsters. Even the fart jokes got a laugh from me.
3/5

The Elevator

Spoiler

Similar thoughts about this as Paranormal lamronaraP but gets repetitive at points once inside the hellish elevator landscape.
2/5 

Red Flag

Spoiler

There's interesting subject matter but disappointed in how bare-bones this was. It'd be okay if it was like an animal or concert documentary, but with such an interesting topic - it's a shame there's not more meat.
2/5

Life Picture

Spoiler

Lawrence and Quan give solid performances in this romantic drama, which makes for a perfect Tuesday October movie night.
3/5 

• Like 2

November

MBWII: The Second Monster Bug Wars 

Spoiler

The Turkey Squad sweep continues onward… to doom the financial prospects of the Monster Bug Wars franchise.
1.5/5

Soil 

Spoiler

Had to reread this one a few times in order to get it, as at first I got the plot mixed-up. However, when reading it, it took a big swing considering the viewpoint of an outsider considering the subject matter of abortion. However, that adds to the point of the film, meant to not just act as reassurance for the characters but also any potential viewers. It is a heartfelt film about abortion, promising one is never alone.
4.5/5

The Unseen

Spoiler

A pretty solid drama about faith and injustice until the last act ends at an abrupt halt, kneecaping the movie and the themes it was going towards.
2.5/5

3 Hearts 3 Fires 

Spoiler

That Becky G got me on fire. Also this is alright, it's what you expect from the third film of the franchise.
2.5/5

For Queen and Country 

Spoiler

Like Red Flag, the documentary is rather barebones for such an interesting subject matter, which is such a shame. Was more partial to Queen than Red Flag as I have more background knowledge of the events than the Nascar stuff.
2.5/5

King of Kings

Spoiler

Yeah, this is heavily whitewashed from the jump and does take away from it but it is always nice to see more sandals and swords in big-scaled blockbusters and Shakman’s strong direction and overall ensemble deliver a decent time.
3/5

More Than Just a Residency 

Spoiler

Pretty solid concert documentary. Nothing more nothing less.
3/5

The Quest for Buster’s Bones

Spoiler

Effortlessly blending good ol-fashioned Looney Tunes slapstick with heartfelt emotions courtesy of a powerhouse performance by Ving Rhames as the titular Buster overcoming grief, Bones manages to be the family film of the Turkey Day season 
3.5/5

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Spoiler

As others have said, the film does share a lot to 2012’s Cloud Atlas’ pacing and structure with five dueling storylines with distinct timeskips means you have to care about each lead the same and like Rory pointed out the past 1400-1500s timelines were easily the weakest but the rest of the storylines especially delivered well by Jake T. Austin and Priah Ferguson domineered. There's also a sense of scale that makes everything about a story through a millennia feel large which works wonders, creating a satisfactory conclusion. It's a bit cluttered and it's ambitions may not scale everything, it's still a great fm.
4/5

Meme Run

Spoiler

In tonight’s news, Infinite Studios sues Happy Madison Productions and Phoenix Fire Pictures for stealing the script of the once in development M3M3 THI3V3$.
1/5

• Like 2

December

My Winter Retreat 

Spoiler

Nothing more than your average holiday throwaway horror sadly but Zombie sadly did not cook with this one.
1.5/5

SSX Tricky 

Spoiler

See my Pac-Man review

2.5/5

Hidden Blood 

Spoiler

Sorry, MCKill but this Julia is not the most evil fictional Julia of the year. Anyways, Hidden Blood is delightfully wacky switching from Freaky Friday to Taken on a dime is hella tonal whiplash but such nutty fun.
2.5/5

The Library of Babel

Spoiler

Much like Time After Time before it, it is a solid sci-fi film with an engaging premise and solid lead but missing something special to help elevate the film, in this case it was perhaps too abstract for its own good and needing some meat on its bones.
3/5

Floodbath: The Play 

Spoiler

Don't get the need of turning the movie into a play version but it's a decent ride all things considered.
3/5

Maniac Magee

Spoiler

I was really surprised by how much I dug this. The visuals really help elevate the film thanks to Zemeckis’ expertise camera works helping display the absurd reality breaking nature of Magee’s speed to give it a cartoony vibe but still making it known that live action was the correct format for the movie. Fegsley dominated as the titular character bringing both a cocky charm but also heaving with insecurities and love. Though I have never read the Maniac Magee book, the most curious aspect I was interested about was how it handled racism and was pleased how delicate and well the movie translated the themes, creating a delightful coming of age film about acceptance and belonging.
4/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1