diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

South Korea Daily Box Office (August 24)

-Admissions (total) gross (Drops from LW) [screens] <Title>

01. 374,477   (5,926,117) $2.901M (-16.3%) [815] <The Pirates>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02. 303,575 (16,256,100) $2.375M (-52.1%) [752] <Roaring currents>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03. 61,599      (333,348)  $511K   (+201%)  [291] <Begin again>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04. 59,036      (541,331)  $479K  (+13.2%)  [323] <The Fault in our stars>

05.   54,936   (1,343,136)  $452K (-67.1%) [343] <Sea Fog> 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06. 28,069      (116,297)  $219K        (--)      [311] <The Expendables 3>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07.   19,903      (281,635) $145K    (-61.1%)  [209] <Planes: Fire & Rescue> 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08. 17,991        (79,385) $139K       (--)      [203] <The Giver>

09.   15,666   (2,981,455) $122K    (-56.3%)  [162] <How to train your dragon 2>

10.   12,855        (69,265)   $99K         (--)      [245] <The Tunnel> 

Total admissions: 1,019,174

Total Gross: $7.976 million

Roaring Currents Cume: $121.821 million

The Pirates Cume: $44.385 million

Current Presales (midnight local time)

Roaring Currents 16.9% (15,591

The Pirates 14.7% (13,497) 

Tazza 2 13.5% (12,439)

My Brilliant life 11.0% (10,143) 

Begin Again: 7.7% (7,131) 

Wow for Begin Again!

HTTYD so close to 3mio...

• Like 1

I brought this up in the HTTYD2 thread, but do any of you have accurate local-currency totals for HTTYD1 and HTTYD2 (so far)? I'm not sure if BOM's are accurate or not (their weekends for Dragon 1 stopped in August 2010 and then they reported April 8-10 2011 and updated the gross one last time).

I brought this up in the HTTYD2 thread, but do any of you have accurate local-currency totals for HTTYD1 and HTTYD2 (so far)? I'm not sure if BOM's are accurate or not (their weekends for Dragon 1 stopped in August 2010 and then they reported April 8-10 2011 and updated the gross one last time).

HTTYD:27,471,926 

HTTYD2:23,845,827 

Wow, HTTYD1's gross really benefited from 3D, didn't it? So far, HTTYD2 has increased 14.5% in admissions, but dropped 13.2% in gross.I asked this in the HTTYD2 thread, but since it pertains to SK, I'll ask here too: How have 2D ticket prices and 3D ticket prices changed since 2010?

Wow, HTTYD1's gross really benefited from 3D, didn't it? So far, HTTYD2 has increased 14.5% in admissions, but dropped 13.2% in gross.I asked this in the HTTYD2 thread, but since it pertains to SK, I'll ask here too: How have 2D ticket prices and 3D ticket prices changed since 2010?

Average ticket price comparison

HTTYD (2010): 10,550 won

3D (66.8%): 11,072 won

4D (1%): 11,519 won

2D: 7,938 won

HTTYD2 (2014): 7,998 won

3D (15.7%): 10,858 won

4D (9.6%): 10,692 won

2D (74.8%): 7,054 won

It's the average ticket price. Ticket price for kids are cheaper so if they make up the majority of the audience, the average ticket price falls too. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

How unlikely is to see a film beating the all-time admissions record with only three weekends on top while being dethroned by another film that has been on the screens for half a month?

The South Korean box office is just crazy.

Roaring currents' drops is pretty normal I think, it's playing better than most films in their 4th week. What's surprising is how well the pirates is holding. It's positive word of mouth is allowing for really good legs. I give them both one more week for decent numbers, the 3 releases on september 3 will likely take the wind out of both their sails. 

Roaring currents' drops is pretty normal I think, it's playing better than most films in their 4th week. What's surprising is how well the pirates is holding. It's positive word of mouth is allowing for really good legs. I give them both one more week for decent numbers, the 3 releases on september 3 will likely take the wind out of both their sails. 

Precisely, those drops shouldn't be normal: films that get an all-time record almost always show exceptional legs. I would be really surprised if there has been any similar case, ever, around the world, as a record-breaking film dethroned so quickly by a film that is not a new release.

Oh really? It was part of a film festival right?

Correct, 

A Werewolf Boy had its world premiere in the "Contemporary World Cinema" section of the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival then screened at the Busan International Film Festival before its theatrical release on October 31, 2012.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Precisely, those drops shouldn't be normal: films that get an all-time record almost always show exceptional legs. I would be really surprised if there has been any similar case, ever, around the world, as a record-breaking film dethroned so quickly by a film that is not a new release.

I'm pretty sure that Roaring currents would have had exceptional legs if it wasn't running out of potential viewers. Close to 30% of the population has already seen it which is pretty insane to be honest. Roaring currents had pretty much everything going for it and I doubt we'll see something similar any time soon.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure that Roaring currents would have had exceptional legs if it wasn't running out of potential viewers. Close to 30% of the population has already seen it which is pretty insane to be honest. Roaring currents had pretty much everything going for it and I doubt we'll see something similar any time soon.

That's true, and it's certainly related to what I said before. Just as that behaviour seemed unprecedent to me, I don't think any other film has ever been seen by the 25% of a country's population this quickly. And I'm pretty sure it's not even close.