bigm10

Young critic looking for internships/jobs

I am 18 years old going to Appalachian State University to major in Journalism and I would love to be a film critic, does anyone know any internships I could for websites or magazines who would open to this sort of thing? I made good grades in high school, as I had a 4.0 GPA weighted and many have said I have a talent for writing and movies/entertainment are my passion. Please let me know if you know of any internships or jobs or any other opportunities.Thank you.

I would imagine it would be very hard to get into making a living being a film critic now. With the explosion of the internet, film critics aren't really in demand anymore.

I'm not so much interested in making it a full time thing, as much as I 'd like to do sports for a newspaper and then do movies on the side for a website or something like that. Are there any websites looking for someone like this?

Your best path of action would be to start your own blog, and start posting and critiquing films on the blog. Get a Twitter account, and see if you can get some magazines/newspapers to follow you and your blog.It's a really tough field to get in to, who wouldn't want to critique and watch films for a living?

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 2

I am 18 years old going to Appalachian State University to major in Journalism and I would love to be a film critic, does anyone know any internships I could for websites or magazines who would open to this sort of thing? I made good grades in high school, as I had a 4.0 GPA weighted and many have said I have a talent for writing and movies/entertainment are my passion. Please let me know if you know of any internships or jobs or any other opportunities.Thank you.

Check the movie blogs. They sometimes put calls out for writers but not very often. Also, if you are desperate, examiner.com lets you write up stuff online.

Your best path of action would be to start your own blog, and start posting and critiquing films on the blog. Get a Twitter account, and see if you can get some magazines/newspapers to follow you and your blog.It's a really tough field to get in to, who wouldn't want to critique and watch films for a living?

Yeah, this. Start a website and create great content. Look at Film Crit Hulk's site: http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com - this is the level of writing and the knowledge of movies you'll need. Based on this free blog - hosted on Wordpress - Hulk has gone on to work for Badass Digest and The New Yorker.So it can be done. But you need to be great.

Yeah, this. Start a website and create great content. Look at Film Crit Hulk's site: http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com - this is the level of writing and the knowledge of movies you'll need. Based on this free blog - hosted on Wordpress - Hulk has gone on to work for Badass Digest and The New Yorker.

So it can be done. But you need to be great.

That's it, more or less.

Yeah, this. Start a website and create great content. Look at Film Crit Hulk's site: http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com - this is the level of writing and the knowledge of movies you'll need. Based on this free blog - hosted on Wordpress - Hulk has gone on to work for Badass Digest and The New Yorker.So it can be done. But you need to be great.

wow. New Yorker ...