A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

By that standard so is almost every Hollywood import in China. Change "family movie" to "kids' movie" or "animated movie" if it makes you feel better.

Yesterday I saw lots of parents bring their kids to see JP instead of MU.

The Good Dinosaur has some potential in China if it gets scheduled right before Children's day next year which is one day before Dragon-Boat Day.

I doubt animated Disnoaurs work as well as live action ones (JP) ...  :P

Such wonderful release slot ? Disney can wish ...  ;)

Disney releases are easy to guess: Cap 2, TGD, Malificent, GotG and Big Hero 6

Wouldn't Cap2 be not so much a wise choice since you know, it's Captain America and all? :lol: Well, can't say I complain if it's released in China. I hope for the best for Cap BO in China then.GOTG will be interesting to see.

CA1 came out in 2011 and did...not great, but about the same as Thor (a little less than ¥100m). It doesn't make any less sense to release CA2 than to release Thor 2. Every Marvel Studios film to date has been released in China (even The Incredible Hulk) and they're going to want to keep that streak going, especially after IM3.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 2

But MU is doing pretty well so far, right? I mean, for a Pixar movie especially.I remembered that most were expecting about 20M for MU from China, and it looks like the movie will do that and more. So I'd taken that as a good result.

Major foreign releases for rest of 2013:

Aug 30 ----- The Great Gatsby (WB / Revenue-sharing) ----- 2D/3D

Sep 5   ----- Elysium (Sony / Revenue-sharing) ----- 2D/IMAX

Sep 12 ----- Smurfs 2 (Sony / Revenue-sharing) ----- 3D

Sep 18 ----- Turbo (Fox / Revenue-sharing) ----- 3D

Sep 27 ----- Jobs (Open Road / CFC) ----- 2D

Oct 6    ----- Lone Ranger (Disney / Revenue-sharing) ----- 2D/IMAX

Oct TBD --- Wolverine (Fox / Revenue-sharing) ----- 2D/3D/IMAX

Oct TBD --- Red 2 (Fox / Bona / buyout) ----- 2D

Oct TBD --- Percy Jackson 2 (Fox / Revenue-sharing) ----- 3D

Oct TBD --- Now You See Me (LGF / buyout) ----- 2D

Oct TBD --- Gravity (WB / Revenue-sharing) ----- 3D

Nov TBD --- Thor 2 (Disney / Revenue-sharing) ----- 3D/IMAX

Nov TBD --- Catching Fire (LGF / CFC / buyout) ----- 2D/IMAX

Nov TBD --- Ender's Game (LGF / Galloping Horse / buyout) ----- 3D/IMAX

Nov TBD --- Frozen (Disney / Revenue-sharing) ----- 3D

aw Nysm release :wub:

huge thx for the info

sad abt PR not hitting 700 :(  booo dinosaurs

I don't know where you people are getting that I claimed kids won't see JP3D. I claimed kids' movies (a category from which I exclude JP3D, for the reason mentioned above) tend to do a larger proportion of their three-day gross on Saturday and Sunday. If it doesn't work that way in China, fine, but saying "kids see JP3D too" isn't a response.

Edited by Bob Violence

Disney gets five quota slots? How are they allocated by studio? Or does it change year to year and five is just a guess?

Disney in 2012 (5): TA, John Carter, War Horse, Ralph, Brave

Disney in 2013 (5): Oz, MU, Thor 2, Frozen, TLR. To some content, it is 6, if IM3 is counted. And I heard Disney was trying to make Planes happen ...

The new quota system (since 2012):

Theoretically any of Big Six could get up to 5 quota.

And in certain conditions, a studio could get up to 6 with sort of cooperations with local distributors or getting imported through non-Hollywood quota.

Sony this year had 6: Skyfall, After Earth, WHD, Smurfs, Elysium and DU; Fox 4: Die Hard 5, Turbo, Wolverine, Percy 2, not counting Croods, but Fox had 5 in 2012: IA4,Titanic, Prometheus, LoP and This Means War, not counting Taken 2. WB have 5 or 6 this year: Hobbit, Jack the Slayer, MoS, PR, Gatsby and Gravity (I heard this one is happening).

Generally Disney/Fox/Sony get 5 while Par./Uni./WB get 4, but it is changing all the time.

There are also up to two quota from independent Hollywood companies, aka non-studio movies. LGF trend to get those. Though this year, Open Road's Jobs somehow is releasing as a revenue sharing movie on Sep 27.

Relativity Media movies are released as buyout movies but they can also get revenue sharing, all depends on how they do it.

All in all, Hollywood get up to 28 quota or so of those 34 yearly revenue sharing quota.

South Korea get 1 or 2, depends on if the Film Bureau would like to give the extra one to SK or Hollywood.

Europe and Austrilia get up to 4. Usually one or two from UK , one from France and one from AU or one from Russia.

Before 2012, even some HK and Taiwan produced films were also included in the then-yearly 20 quota. But not since 2012.

It is quite flixable actually and the quota system is just one of the many ways Film Bureau use to manipulate the cinema market.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

Thanks.

I have a hunch Gatsby is getting released because it was a Village Roadshow co-production and they're somewhat active in the Chinese market (they co-produced Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons). Just a guess though, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. IMO it's the most unexpected Hollywood import of the year, except maybe Django.

There's already been one Korean quota release (The Thieves) but I would love it if they used another for Snowpiercer. Not holding my breath though.

Edit: How was Mr. Go handled? That wasn't a quota title, was it? I'm kind of fuzzy on how co-productions are classified.

Edited by Bob Violence

Wouldn't Cap2 be not so much a wise choice since you know, it's Captain America and all? :lol: Well, can't say I complain if it's released in China. I hope for the best for Cap BO in China then.GOTG will be interesting to see.

This Chinese name of Captain America was right "Capatain America" when released. And believe me no one complained ... 

But MU is doing pretty well so far, right? I mean, for a Pixar movie especially.I remembered that most were expecting about 20M for MU from China, and it looks like the movie will do that and more. So I'd taken that as a good result.

Pixar, Marvel and Disney the brand itself are what Disney are trying hard to promote in China. Pixar and Disney animation all did very poor in the past but Disney always tried hard to get those movies released no matter what. They were not really going for the box office. They are aiming at Brand recognition and building.

Now the Disney network in China is almost as big, if not bigger than, as all the other five studios combined. Their efforts are getting paid off.

• Like 1