A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Can't believe FMR can do the LoP number with just less than $2M opening... Nowadays in China, WOM is really playing more and more important role in determining movies' final gross. 

No one saw this coming about FMR. Wom is important. And it is just that we have not seen a single flopped local film this year so far.

These hollywood movies should be handed to domestic studios for distribution.

Not likely in a few years ... imo

IM3 defeated by a local teenage-girl targeted movie.... That's really a disaster.

If that happens, I'm done with China too. :angry:

It is very possible. You get female audience, you get all aus audience. Girls will drag their boys to see it. Boys can not drag their girls to movies ...

BTW, I thought you would like to see So Young ..  :ph34r:

Not likely in a few years ... imo

It is very possible. You get female audience, you get all aus audience. Girls will drag their boys to see it. Boys can not drag their girls to movies ...

BTW, I thought you would like to see So Young ..  :ph34r:

But I like IM3 better.  ;)

If no IM3 releasing then maybe I will consider seeing it.

SARFT wanted Chinese movies to succeed and in the process make life difficult for Hollywood and they finally have succeeded. Hollywood movies are flopping at an alarming rate.

I'm not sure why Marvel or any future studios should pander to SARFT and Chinese government and Co-produce. I don't see the BO benefit there for the ridiculousness, that is Chinese only version.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I dont think the continuous underperforming of Hollywood movies have much to do with SARFT. It is more a taste shift of the Chinese audiences in my opinion.

But that's my point. BO benefit isn't there so why pander and Co-produce or add scenes just for the Chinese audiences. 

IM3 will be an interesting case, if it flops than we know Hollywood is in trouble. 

Edit: you've been saying Avatar 2 could approach 400M but I think it'll be lucky to do Avatar 1 numbers. I think TF franchise is the only thing that's safe in China but rest of the Hollywood is in massive trouble. 

Edited by druv10

2013 QUARTER ONE QUICK MARKET REPORT:

Q1 of 2013 is forecasted to see overal box office about RMB 5.14B $825M (March 31th counted), up 39% from Q1 of 2012. Total admissions 140M+ (+40% from Q1 of 2012) with total screenings 6.4M+ (+34% from Q1 of 2012).

RMB 3.52B $564M box office gross comes from local Chinese films, accounting for 68.6% of the overal market volume, up 114% from Q1 of 2012. While foreign movies took in just RMB 1.62B $260M, accounting for only 31.4%, down 23% from Q1 of 2012 in term of absolute income.

Well, that's it. Local films increased 114% while foreign films decreased 23% in box office gross. That is a harsh comparison. I always said, foreign films' box office will decrease in 2013 from 2012 (or flat at the best case), let alone their market share. dont see the possibilty of the market for them cross the pessimistic 40% mark at the end of year 2013.

My advice for Hollywood studios: be more careful when choose which one of their movies to submit to CFGC. Like I dont really understand why WB let JTGS get released in China. It is simple fact that they wasted a precious quota. They could have paid more efforts to do the job on Man of Steel, Pacific RIM or even Gatsby. Universal should have paid more attention on OBLIVION instead of Les Miserables. Now OBLIVION is stuck in late May, facing IM3, STID and Uni's own FF6. It could have got an middle April release.

How is the marketing for Hollywood films in China? Didn't you or someone say that they're not allowed to do TV ads and can only advertise through the Internet?

yeah,no TV ads. But they lived well without that in the past. Anyway, TV ads are too expensive for whatever films. Barely any local films run tv ads either.so not a problem.