A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Why the sad face? Did you like it?

The sad face is because I don't approve of piracy but it's just impossible to go anywhere on the net without catching a ricochet of spoilers and we still have about 2 weeks before it comes out here in NZ.

As for the film Sam well I approve of the 7-7.5/10 grade that many of the critics gave the film, it's a film that has all the great ingredients (great performances from EVERYONE, great ideas, great action and special effects) but the final assembly  is clumsy. The good thing is that I finished it and thought to myself "I can't wait for the sequel" because the foundations have been laid for a follow up that can match TDK and I for one would like to see Goyer come back (he's a great ideas man but needs help with the execution of scenes and overall pacing).

What about you Sam, what did you think of the film? infact have you seen the film yet?

Edited by messipotamia
  • Like 1

The sad face is because I don't approve of piracy but it's just impossible to go anywhere on the net without catching a ricochet of spoilers and we still have about 2 weeks before it comes out here in NZ.

As for the film Sam well I approve of the 7-7.5/10 grade that many of the critics gave the film, it's a film that has all the great ingredients (great performances from EVERYONE, great ideas, great action and special effects) but the final assembly  is clumsy. The good thing is that I finished it and thought to myself "I can't wait for the sequel" because the foundations have been laid for a follow up that can match TDK and I for one would like to see Goyer come back (he's a great ideas man but needs help with the execution of scenes and overall pacing).

What about you Sam, what did you think of the film? infact have you seen the film yet?

I see. Well, you liked it overall and looking forward to the sequel, so that's great.

Do you know that we have a review/rate the movie subforum/thread? My review is in there. I would rate it a 7-7.5/10 too. 

I agree with your review mostly, I thought it's a solid effort, but could have been handled better for a better product with all the ingredients they have.

Where I differ from you is that my biggest issue lies with Henry Cavill as Supes. I thought he suits the role physically perfectly, but I'm not sold on his acting, I thought that he's kinda awkward and wooden. 

Having said that, I did enjoy the movie, and I do plan on catching it again in theater. Also, I believe that Cavill will grow into the role and improve in the sequel; so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I see. Well, you liked it overall and looking forward to the sequel, so that's great.

Do you know that we have a review/rate the movie subforum/thread? My review is in there. I would rate it a 7-7.5/10 too. 

I agree with your review mostly, I thought it's a solid effort, but could have been handled better for a better product with all the ingredients they have.

Where I differ from you is that my biggest issue lies with Henry Cavill as Supes. I thought he suits the role physically perfectly, but I'm not sold on his acting, I thought that he's kinda awkward and wooden. 

Having said that, I did enjoy the movie, and I do plan on catching it again in theater. Also, I believe that Cavill will grow into the role and improve in the sequel; so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Regarding Cavill I can totally understand where you're coming from Sam but the more I thought about it the more I realized that Henry was BRILLIANT. People tend to say that he didn't have much to say and that he was humorless and they'd be right but people tend to forget that the character it self was portrayed as an outsider  who didn't want to stand out or say too much, a man who carried the burden of his father's death on his shoulders. But if you think of Cavill's key scenes, he showed a range of great emotions e.g. The restraint against that drunk truck driver, the sadness and anguish over Johnathan's death, the sheer joy of flying, the furiousity during the fight scenes and finally the shock during the final zod scene.

Cavill reminded me that sometimes you need emotion as much as dialogue to shine (or maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there but I hope not).

Edited by messipotamia