A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

Fuck!

Don't even think about DS2 will released in China anymore,

Our network has been bombed recently because someone found that DS 2 trailers propaganda cult ,and that propaganda used Chinese Language, which make most Chinese angry again, Most people diss Marvel again after Shang-Chi event,this time even Marvel fans does not support Marvel,

For example, our website has a vlogger called Lorry(same stuff like Youtuber), He is an avid Marvel fan before, but after this cult incident, he publicly declared that he would no longer support Marvel

I don't understand why Marvel do this again and again and again,this is bullshit.

At least this time we have a proper reason, but I don't get it, what cult are they talking about? It's just fiction. Did the logo or symbol coincidentally look like a real life cult that is banned in China? or are they just banning all the witchcraft stuff, even the fictional ones?

Edit: Holy sh*t so a Chinese friend of mine just texted me and he said it's likely that some magic spells in the film look similar to Falun Gong symbol, holy sh*t freaking hell 

Edited by Arian1010
  • Astonished 1

30 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

At least this time we have a proper reason, but I don't get it, what cult are they talking about? It's just fiction. Did the logo or symbol coincidentally look like a real life cult that is banned in China? or are they just banning all the witchcraft stuff, even the fictional ones?

Some logo in the latest TV spot(Chinese words on the yellow one), in conection with a former heresy cult banned in China.

Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

Fuck!

Don't even think about DS2 will released in China anymore,

Our network has been bombed recently because someone found that DS 2 trailers propaganda cult ,and that propaganda used Chinese Language, which make most Chinese angry again, Most people diss Marvel again after Shang-Chi event,this time even Marvel fans does not support Marvel,

For example, our website has a vlogger called Lorry(same stuff like Youtuber), He is an avid Marvel fan before, but after this cult incident, he publicly declared that he would no longer support Marvel

I don't understand why Marvel do this again and again and again,this is bullshit.

I think they're misunderstanding it. That cult or Falun Gong had never existed even in Marvel comics, the spell Strange used in the trailer is just ...a magical jigsaw wheel to cut off a bus...

5 minutes ago, Olive said:

Some logo in the latest TV spot(Chinese words on the yellow one), in conection with a former heresy religion banned in China.

This can easily resolve by erasing that logo. Do you think they can negotiate it (similar to the Ancient one)? or is it just... done?

Edited by honeycookiez

15 minutes ago, Olive said:

Some logo in the latest TV spot(Chinese words on the yellow one), in conection with a former heresy religion banned in China.

You mean this one? right

SQBGQeH.jpg

This is plain stupid lmao Disney eff themselves again by their lack of knowledge. I don't think Disney purposefully did it, that cult is banned in China but they still exist in other countries and of course, they're in US too. Their banners are everywhere on earth.

Edited by Arian1010
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

I think they're misunderstanding it. That cult or Falun Gong had never existed even in Marvel comics, the spell Strange used in the trailer is just ...a magical jigsaw wheel to cut off a bus...

This can easily resolve by erasing that logo. Do you think they can negotiate it (similar to the Ancient one)? or is it just... done?

I can't see this being negotiable. You don't mess with cults and expect the Chinese government to be the slightest bit forgiving or tolerant. They're super sensitive on that subject.

15 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

It's a big thing in China, many saying boycott Marvel already. LOL

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

I don't really get what happened here, "DS2 trailers propaganda cult"?

DS2 trailers has a part that a Chinese person use Chinese language to propaganda cult.

You guys can't find that cut,our person find it,and I don't know why Marvel put this picture in its trailer,it's fucking nonsense.

Now Marvel has to say “goodbye”to Chinese.Now there is no backing down here,even they apologized.

• Like 1

Lmao I hope Disney makes a statement about this, it's just a coincidence, they filmed that scene on the real street of New York, and there is just a lot of ... garbage on the street, you know, and it's not like all of them speak/understand Chinese, to begin with. They might think it was just random Chinese texts that were written by some random American Chinese. Disney gave zero F about the Tibets, why would they care about some random cult?

• Like 1

As we wait to see the fallout of this latest Marvel blunder (how you could miss something like this I honestly have no idea, wtf… including Falun Gong imagery in a movie's bound to add at least a year of unofficial banning, that's so bad), some positive-ish news is that the COVID-19 situation appears to possibly be getting better? Looking at this write-up of IMAX's latest earnings report (https://deadline.com/2022/04/imax-earnings-avatar-1235012439/), the company seems to expect Shanghai theaters to be back in action "in a few weeks" and the situation to be under control by the end of May. As I'm currently locked up in Shanghai… that seems overly optimistic. Community spread does appear to be significantly down (most of the city reported no new cases outside of high-risk areas yesterday, which is huge), but it'll realistically be at least two weeks after achieving zero community spread before businesses like movie theaters are back online. Still some hope for Jurassic World Dominion, though.

[[Side note— looks like Shanghai's setting up hundreds and hundreds of nucleic acid testing kiosks to help manage life after the lockdown ends. If China can test quickly and accurately and on a wide level, they might have a chance of bringing the country back to functionality by summer. At the very least, the central government's absolutely freaked out by the economic havoc the country's facing right now and they're going to do their absolute best to bring life back online, at least mostly, especially since 2022's a politically sensitive year for Xi]]

14 minutes ago, porginchina said:

I can't see this being negotiable. You don't mess with cults and expect the Chinese government to be the slightest bit forgiving or tolerant. They're super sensitive on that subject.

You don't mess with anything and expect the Chinese government to be forgiving. Cmon. 

We're talking about the petty CCP

8 minutes ago, Olive said:

Things probably worse.

Before this DS2 cult event,I know many person and vlogger who are still Marvel fans,even they know Shang-Chi or Enternal staff,but they still choose to believe Marvel and believe they are unmeant,Many people who are not Marvel fan boycott Marvel because of Shang-Chivand Enternal stuff,but now even many Marvel fans boycott Marvel,because they don't believe the coincidence happened again and again and again,Now Marvel probably really dead in China.

A strong Marvel fans who always make Marvel video vlogger called “Lorre”now boycott Marvel.I don't think Marvel can resurgence in China now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

You don't mess with anything and expect the Chinese government to be forgiving. Cmon. 

We're talking about the petty CCP

Worth noting that a lot of things in China are extremely contextual, especially as it pertains to movie censorship (i.e., graphic/gory violence is more okay in a war movie fighting the Japanese than in other contexts; earlier Harry Potter movies were banned from playing in Chinese theaters but now there's a Harry Potter theme park land in Beijing itself). The CCP is not a monolithic entity; there are factions within the Party that have ideological conflicts. Of course, things have gotten much more rigid under Xi and 2022 is going to be an exceptionally rigid year with the big Party conference in October/November to re-elect Xi as leader.

2 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

I'm expecting a serious pledge and apologize from Marvel/Disney (similar to Nike's case) to CCP in the next days.

You will never see that. That would be embarrassing and cause huge backlash. 

Better just let go of China. It's like you guys say. People don't like Marvel now. So screw it. 

Less money for the humans rights violations and their concentration camps. And less money for Marvel. I mean, China kept most but it was nice the China inflation on the box office number. 

• Like 2

shit,in Chinese BOT called TNABO,the Dr.Strange 2 box office thread had been banned with no reason........now seems our government start to banned all DS2 stuff and news on internet.....

This things never happend before even during Shang-Chi and Enternal period,This probably the sign that our government has started to deal with Marvel problem publicly.

Edited by Bruce
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Olive said:

I understand, there is nothing we can do except speculation. But judging by how Disney dealt with Simu lately (making him declare that he will always be Chinese and always remember his root on Weibo) after his personal scandal, I don't think Disney would just ignore and pass by this serious issue.

3 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

I understand, there is nothing we can do except speculation. But judging by how Disney dealt with Simu lately (making him declare that he will always be Chinese and always remember his root on Weibo) after his personal scandal, I don't think Disney would just ignore and pass by this serious issue.

Totally different situations. 

It's done. I think if Disney wants to win something out of this, is maybe win some Americans. Announce a part away between Marvel Studios and China. Or literally just stop sending movies to review, like they should have time ago. 

13 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

You will never see that. That would be embarrassing and cause huge backlash. 

Better just let go of China. It's like you guys say. People don't like Marvel now. So screw it. 

Less money for the humans rights violations and their concentration camps. And less money for Marvel. I mean, China kept most but it was nice the China inflation on the box office number. 

First and foremost I don't mean to disrespect you but I believe Disney has a similar interest to mine, they care about the numbers and films' box office performances. And not to mention they're just cold blood capital companies, humans rights mean nothing to them. 

Edited by Leviathan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1