A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

41 minutes ago, LeoC said:

They need China to get to Top 1. But many Marvel movies can still get to a billion even without China. No way home proved it. DS2 will prove it again.

Of course every movie can make more money with China, but it's already at a point where it's not worth the efforts. Not worth it.

My god the day you stop quoting NWH like it was some off the cut movie not some nostalgia bait 20 year old movie which featured everyone and their grandma in order to make bank. Previous to NWH spidey couldn't even make a bill without chinas help, not every movie is going to be an event movie.

I usually refrain from commenting on such things but some things need to be addressed.

First of all, the discussion about marvel needing or not needing china is absurd, because no matter the business the company will always chase profit be it either in terms of monetary or goodwill and secondly looking at past numbers many of MCU movies make more profit in China then gross in any other international territory

In this case while marvel did nothing wrong, we should also see the other side where we have a prominent anti-CCP newspaper run by a banned in China religious cult. Since this is an honest oversight a quick apology from their Weibo account should suffice in placating the Chinese nationalists.

As far as box office goes people usually just focus on the studios getting just 25%(which is actually near 22% as far as I remember) of the box office from China completely forgetting as @porginchina mentioned the release costs in China are super low thus giving a much competitive profit %.

For those who bring up NWH again and again it's true that it grossed an obscene amount of money but let's not forget a China gross of $ 400 mn like many were predicting theoretically would still yield about half the production budget as profit,

• Like 2

Friday Estimates:

#1 Stay With Me : ¥9.3M 

#2 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥2.7M / ¥119.3M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥2.6M / ¥70.3M

#4 Bad Guys : ¥2.5M

#5 Drishyam : ¥0.9M / ¥14.2M

Others (Total):

The Batman (¥148.8M), Moonfall (¥135.6M), Hotel Transylvania 4 (¥61M), Escape Room 2 (¥48.3M), Ambulance (¥11.9M)

No scores for Bad Guys so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Friday Estimates:

Others (Total):

The Batman (¥148.8M), Moonfall (¥135.6M), Hotel Transylvania 4 (¥61M), Escape Room 2 (¥48.3M), Ambulance (¥11.9M)

FB3 could finish at what score do you think?

7 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

FB3 could finish at what score do you think?

Currently Thinking higher than ¥135M. Real Test will be from May 1. Before that can not details out much far. On Friday, it has out-gross Uncharted (¥118M), third highest grossing Hollywood film in 2022 Mainland China

We Made A Beautiful Bouquet run has been extended to May 21. So far, it's on ¥90.7M, Shoplifter is on ¥99M, Probably closing at ¥92M

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Immortal said:

I usually refrain from commenting on such things but some things need to be addressed.

First of all, the discussion about marvel needing or not needing china is absurd, because no matter the business the company will always chase profit be it either in terms of monetary or goodwill and secondly looking at past numbers many of MCU movies make more profit in China then gross in any other international territory

In this case while marvel did nothing wrong, we should also see the other side where we have a prominent anti-CCP newspaper run by a banned in China religious cult. Since this is an honest oversight a quick apology from their Weibo account should suffice in placating the Chinese nationalists.

As far as box office goes people usually just focus on the studios getting just 25%(which is actually near 22% as far as I remember) of the box office from China completely forgetting as @porginchina mentioned the release costs in China are super low thus giving a much competitive profit %.

For those who bring up NWH again and again it's true that it grossed an obscene amount of money but let's not forget a China gross of $ 400 mn like many were predicting theoretically would still yield about half the production budget as profit,

Well, to lighten the mood, on the other hand, Twitter users are making fun of Raimi for continuing the same error he has made since the Evil Dead era (letting the same extras appear multi times in one particular scene). Pretty sure even the director himself wasn't aware of the issue of that cult text, let alone reading Chinese. Hiring a Chinese secretary or consultant to avoid stupid mistakes like that should be a requirement at this point.

Edited by honeycookiez
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

Well, to lighten the mood, on the other hand, Twitter users are making fun of Raimi for continuing the same error he has made since the Evil Dead era (letting the same extras appear multi times in one particular scene). Pretty sure even the director himself wasn't aware of the issue of that cult text, let alone reading Chinese. Hiring a Chinese secretary or consultant to avoid stupid mistakes like that should be a requirement at this point.

Or just make this stupid dictatorship decissions stop 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Friday Estimates:

Others (Total):

FB3 did the same as last week right? Some theaters reopening?

Most Anticipated Imported Titles of 2022

347,734 : Fantastic Beast 3

250,471 : The Batman

176,372 : Matrix Resurrection

146,663 : Hotel Transylvania 4

143,238 : Moonfall

132,758 : Uncharted

x91,927 : Death On The Nile

x57,353 : A Rainy Day in New York

x55,894 : Encanto

x46,550 : Paw Patrol The Movie

x40,149 : Escape Room 2

x38,917 : We Made A Beautiful Bouquet

x25,245 : Bad Guys

x17,034 : Drishyam

xx9,408 : Ambulance

xx7,465 : Kanaa

xx4,161 : 2018 Yokai Watch Movie

xx3,724 : Oops! The Adventure Continues

Note : Includes only recently released through out 2022 (Jan-April)

Edited by Issac Newton

18 hours ago, Arian1010 said:

Well well, so basically you will only respect China if they help your DC films???
In fairness, comic book superheroes, batman, and even Star Wars were never big businesses in China. They don't worship those things blindly like Americans. They like Aquaman because it had Marvel's goofy style and had Avatar's nature concepts, and Avatar is a very dear film to them. If you can't offer them something that they can like, why do you expect their support in return?
This is ...unbelievable, all the ranting about politics, Russia, nato etc, just so you can hide the real reasons that you're bitter because they don't worship batman

He is a MCU guy.. 😂

11 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Currently Thinking higher than ¥135M. Real Test will be from May 1. Before that can not details out much far. On Friday, it has out-gross Uncharted (¥118M), third highest grossing Hollywood film in 2022 Mainland China

We Made A Beautiful Bouquet run has been extended to May 21. So far, it's on ¥90.7M, Shoplifter is on ¥99M, Probably closing at ¥92M

WB will have the two highest imported film in China for the 1st half of 2022.

The Batman and Fantastic Beast, both would have more than doubled if not for the lockdown and cinemas closure. But WB is definitely one of the best distributors and seem to already figured out a way to crack the Chinese market.

People will say.. the two films both made 25m USD each and that is not much, but that is because of COVID and cinemas closure.

3 hours ago, lor15 said:

Or just make this stupid dictatorship decissions stop 

Because the government system is just a form of dictatorship to adjust the human society overall. China is not an exception. I would rather learn to play their rules to get what I want than keep yelling at clouds. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

The Batman and Fantastic Beast, both would have more than doubled if not for the lockdown and cinemas closure. But WB is definitely one of the best distributors and seem to already figured out a way to crack the Chinese market.

People will say.. the two films both made 25m USD each and that is not much, but that is because of COVID and cinemas closure.

Warner Bros are doing excellent. I expect to see more films in coming days.

872425b1ly1h01369m898j20hs0dcq3r.jpg

As per Xie, Sonic 2 has also passed review. Could be released in some time in May or else on September after Japanese release on August.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Depending on how many cities can reopen theaters, both Batman and Fantastic Beasts could get a slight (slight!!) boost. I know that, should I get out of lockdown/should theaters reopen in time, one of my first priorities will be checking out Fantastic Beasts.

With Jurassic World— 1) no content objectionable to China 2) its predecessors have done well 3) dinosaurs are universally beloved 4) like Fantastic Beasts and Minions: The Rise of Gru, Jurassic World realistically gets a slight political boost thanks to its prominent presence at Universal Studios Beijing (Jurassic World Adventure is a really excellent ride, by the way).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, porginchina said:

Depending on how many cities can reopen theaters, both Batman and Fantastic Beasts could get a slight (slight!!) boost. I know that, should I get out of lockdown/should theaters reopen in time, one of my first priorities will be checking out Fantastic Beasts.

With Jurassic World— 1) no content objectionable to China 2) its predecessors have done well 3) dinosaurs are universally beloved 4) like Fantastic Beasts and Minions: The Rise of Gru, Jurassic World realistically gets a slight political boost thanks to its prominent presence at Universal Studios Beijing (Jurassic World Adventure is a really excellent ride, by the way).

So many of my friends in Shanghai is begging to get out to watch The Batman..and to a some extent Fantastic Beast.

That is why we always say that box office is 天时地利人和, haha. Both are good movies in my opinion, with great distributor but met with unfortunate timing. 

• Like 1