Dementeleus

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

With the Sat. increases in store for TH1, I think not.

DU is comparable to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last year. Both are hard-R violent movies that got good WOM during the holidays. DT fell 20 percent on Saturday. I see a 15 percent drop for DU. And since New Year's has the same percent changes as Christmas, then Hobbit would win with $32-36M. DU would finish with $27M.

I have to destroy your hopes.

SURPRISE.

The Hobbit (MGM/Wwarner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,100] PG13

Friday $10.7M, Saturday $11.3M, Weekend $31.5M, Est Cume $221.3M

2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) Week 1 [Runs 3,010] R

Friday $9.6M, Saturday $11.2M, Weekend $31.0M, Est Cume $64.0M

3. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,814] PG13

Friday $9.4M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $27.4M, Est Cume $66.8M

4. Parental Guidance (Walden/Fox) Week 1 [Runs 3,367] PG

Friday $5.0M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $14.4M, Est Cume $29.0M

5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,352] PG13

Friday $4.5M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $14.0M, Est Cume $44.5M

6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,914] R

Friday $4.1M, Saturday $4.5M, Weekend $12.5M, Est Cume $36.4M

7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 8 [Runs 1,966] PG13

Friday $2.3M, Saturday $2.6M, Weekend $7.5M, Est Cume $132.0M

8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 2,431] PG13

Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.5M, Weekend $7.0M, Est Cume $21.4M

9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 2,618] G

Friday $2.2M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $6.2M, Est Cume $18.3M

10. Rise Of The Guardians (DWA/Par) Week 5 [Runs 3,031]

Friday $1.7M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $5.0M, Est Cume $90.4M

Also, see how Rise of Guardians didn't drop 60% as you predicted?

Again, let's make one thing clear here, I'm not one of those banging on the flop drum for Floppit, but give credit where credit is due, Django is having an outstanding run thus far and will absolutely sell more tickets the weekend than Floppit.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

$30,688,000 for Django. It lost! :P

Gitesh Pandya @giteshpandya 3m #Django djumps 17% SAT & scores $30.7M wknd, $10k avg, sturdy $64M in 6days. Best 1st week ever for Tarantino. :)

And I smell a Jacksonite who either didn`t get DU in his/her theater yet or is too busy watching TH to take a break and see something that may change his/her POV on what great script, directing, characterisation,acting, humor, action, cinematrography, costuming,etc really are. If you haven`t seen DU than I can understand why you may think that plates tossing is the hight of humor but I dare you to think like that after seeing DU`s KKK scene. Also, what DU actors do actingwise is what TH actors would never be able to. None of them gave their 100% in TH (Serkis was great but Gollum is always the same, no stretch here) nor PJ gave his 100%. I`ve seen the movies so I can compare. OTOH, DU is A+ game accross the board. That you can`t get from BBC Z-listers.

Blah blah blah blah...I'm a optimist for TH1, not a Jacksonite, since it's now a "Floppit" even though its broken the December opening weekend record and has passed over $200M. If a prequel or reboot can score atleast on the low end of its predeceesors, then it can be deemed a success. Like when The Amazing Spider Man performed below the Raimi films but still was deemed a success.Also, you can't compare movies from different opposites of filmaking. Hobbit is an adventure that appeals to kids. DU is a hard-R movie that only appeals to adults.

Blah blah blah blah...I'm a optimist for TH1, not a Jacksonite, since it's now a "Floppit" even though its broken the December opening weekend record and has passed over $200M. If a prequel or reboot can score atleast on the low end of its predeceesors, then it can be deemed a success. Like when The Amazing Spider Man performed below the Raimi films but still was deemed a success.Also, you can't compare movies from different opposites of filmaking. Hobbit is an adventure that appeals to kids. DU is a hard-R movie that only appeals to adults.

When you discuss Hobbit, you become th epitome of a LOTR loonie, you become so fixated on the merits of the film that you completely dismiss any logical and rational discussion about other films. You, my good sir, are why the term Loonie was created.
  • Like 1

It lost.

I never said it didn't lose gross wise. But ticket sales is different. DU unquestionably sold more since it's handicapped by its tickets being about $3.00 less.

Yep, DU was expected to drop yesterday by people around here because that`s the R pattern. I remember I said that Top 3 had small Friday increases because they were Saturday movies and was quickly corrected that DU was not a Saturday movie. Guess who was right.

• Like 2

Again, let's make one thing clear here, I'm not one of those banging on the flop drum for Floppit, but give credit where credit is due, Django is having an outstanding run thus far and will absolutely sell more tickets the weekend than Floppit.

Why is Hobbit called a Floppit? Isn't that stupid to say when its been the #1 movie worldwide for 3 weeks, including the probability this weekend?And yes, Django will sell more tickets that TH1 this weekend, but only by a small margin. Either way, this is Django's 1st weekend. This is TH1's 3rd. Even then, Django will come nowhere close to selling as many tickets as TH1 will in its entire run.

When you discuss Hobbit, you become th epitome of a LOTR loonie, you become so fixated on the merits of the film that you completely dismiss any logical and rational discussion about other films. You, my good sir, are why the term Loonie was created.

Logical and rational discussion? Why, is Hobbit not crossing the $400M it never had a chance at breaking?

This.Also, it won`t kill a TH fan to give DU credit for breaking out. The movie`s a breakout hands down no spin no damage control. TH is doing well except compared to loonie expectations so that makes loonies bigger TH enemies than anyone around here joking about Floppit.

It lost.

Nope, it won. It was supposed to be #3 behind LM. BTW, where`s LM? I`m looking down, and down, and down and still can`t see it.
  • Like 1

Why is Hobbit called a Floppit? Isn't that stupid to say when its been the #1 movie worldwide for 3 weeks, including the probability this weekend?And yes, Django will sell more tickets that TH1 this weekend, but only by a small margin. Either way, this is Django's 1st weekend. This is TH1's 3rd. Even then, Django will come nowhere close to selling as many tickets as TH1 will in its entire run.

You sound like a little kid telling us that their dad can beat up my dad. No shit it won't sell nearly as many tickets as The Hobbit. Why would it? Again, myopia is a terrible disease that seems to run rampant here too often.

Logical and rational discussion? Why, is Hobbit not crossing the $400M it never had a chance at breaking?

Dude, I guarantee if you had been here since the start of the forums, you would have been one of the 125 other forum members who predicted it to do at least 400 mill and pass ROTK WW.

Also, it won`t kill a TH fan to give DU credit for breaking out. The movie`s a breakout hands down no spin no damage control. TH is doing well except compared to loonie expectations so that makes loonies bigger TH enemies than anyone around here joking about Floppit.

I am gonna give it credit. Right now :)DU has broken out of the R-rated genre.See? I'm not dead. I would have done it anyways if you wouldn't have keeped hating on TH1.