6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • FD

"Nothing breaks up a team faster than herpes."

I can't think of a more fitting quote from this film that encapsulates its boneheadedness.

This film is a self-deprecating barrage of endless funny jokes. It has some of the greatest scenes I've ever seen in a comedy movie (my favorite is the scene when Jimmy is talking on the phone to Katie with Chazz and Katie's siblings respectively giving them instructions). It has enough skating nerdery to appeal to hardcore fans yet is accessible enough for non-fans of the sport.

But there's no character development. Chazz and Jimmy don't learn from their mistakes and just seem lucky to survive the odds (until the end where they just magically become friends). And this kills my enjoyment of the film. What could have been a great satire is another "Ferrell is stupid" movie.

B-

Edited by department store basement

Hmmm - Remember liking it when I saw it in theaters, but have had no reason to revisit it. However considering that I don't care for Will Ferrell being willing to revisit says a lot. I think I gave it a B at the time (Stranger than Fiction is the only higher Ferrell film in my book.)