baumer

Thin Red Line

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is the epitome of Hollywood losing site of it's audience. I'm not sure in what war teenagers began reciting poetry, but apparently in this one, it is all they do. And when there is more in here about Caviezel losing his girlfriend to infidelity than there is people losing their lives, I think you are trouble. This amazing cast is completely wasted as they sleepwalk through dialogue written for an esoteric group of moviegoers, because it sure wasn't made for the general public. This is closer to being one of the worst films of the year, perhaps of all time, than it is to being one of the best. A truly awful film and one that laughingly got way too many Oscar nominations.1/10

I will respond with a slightly more positive review to add some balance. :PFirst of all I will say that I definitely agree with the assertion that this is critically overrated, and did not deserve the acclaim that it received.Having said that, I still overall enjoyed the film, and I feel that the strong acting makes up for a lot of the esoteric garbage.I saw it for the first (and only) time over a year before I am writing this, and the fact that I couldn't remember a great deal of what actually happens in it without checking the wiki page is probably not a good sign! This reflects my generally lukewarm feeling towards the film.There were several very good characters, and some excellent scenes. However the run time could easily have been cut by a good half an hour or more and I think this would have significantly improved the film by removing a lot of unnecessary/boring down time between the more meaty scenes.The film is best viewed as more of a study on the psychological and physical effects of war than a straight out standard war film.Far from a bad film, and worth a watch just to see what all the fuss was about back in the day. I rate it:6.5/10P.S. Is that a B or a C do you think? I voted for B but now i'm not sure. :P

I didn't enjoy it as much as Tree of Life as I didn't think it flowed as fluidly, but damn.........Malick sure does know how to direct a film.

Clocking in at under three hours, it does have it's slow moments, but there are also some downright beautiful and devastating scenes on hand here. I simply loved how Malick would contradict the raw brutality of war with the beauty and innocence of the Earth.

It's quite a bit to absorb in just one setting, but oh man, much like Tree of Life...........this is for those who want to fully submerse themselves and experience a film rather than just watch it.

A-/B+

Edited by mattmav45

I think this is Malick's best film by far. (Tree of Life and Badlans are a distant tie for second) The rhythm, flow, and message of this is so exquisite. He tells essentially an anti-war story, one that hits you right in the gut. It almost makes you feel bad that you supported any war, even the Allies in WWII that fought for the freedom of mankind and against, quoting George VI, "a principle which, it were to prevail, would be fatal to any civilised order," There's a story and a point behind the movie so don't let anyone tell you differently. He tells it in a way that's so beautiful that you really just fall in love with it all. In addition to all of this, it is beautifully shot in a way fitting of this beautiful movie.10/10

• Like 3

This was the most boring movie I`ve eevr seen in my life. You know the phrase "watching a grass grow is more excting than watching ________"? Well, this movie is about grass growing. I`m not shitting you. There`s a scene that just shows grass growing. And it goes on and on. So I leave, drink water, come back, it`s still grass growing. I repeated the action severla times and within 40 minutes there wa snothing but grass growing. This is not a joke.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

This was the most boring movie I`ve eevr seen in my life. You know the phrase "watching a grass grow is more excting than watching ________"? Well, this movie is about grass growing. I`m not shitting you. There`s a scene that just shows grass growing. And it goes on and on. So I leave, drink water, come back, it`s still grass growing. I repeated the action severla times and within 40 minutes there wa snothing but grass growing. This is not a joke.

And a certain actress is in it :ph34r:

I think this is Malick's best film by far. (Tree of Life and Badlans are a distant tie for second) The rhythm, flow, and message of this is so exquisite. He tells essentially an anti-war story, one that hits you right in the gut. It almost makes you feel bad that you supported any war, even the Allies in WWII that fought for the freedom of mankind and against, quoting George VI, "a principle which, it were to prevail, would be fatal to any civilised order," There's a story and a point behind the movie so don't let anyone tell you differently. He tells it in a way that's so beautiful that you really just fall in love with it all. In addition to all of this, it is beautifully shot in a way fitting of this beautiful movie.10/10

You pretentious douche 

:P

• Like 2

The only way The Thin Red Line is boring is if you're only concerned with visual stimulation in regards to films. A movie that makes you think is the opposite of boring, although simple-minded folk will inevitably label it as such, IMO.

Edited by mattmav45

Ric loves boring movies. The more boring the higher rating. If you see 10/10 by Ric either run screaming or rant immediately cause it means you`re incurable insomniac and this is your last resort.

So Skyfall is boring? ;)

Edited by riczhang

So Skyfall is boring? ;)

Shit, touche. :lol:

The only way The Thin Red Line is boring is if you're only concerned with visual stimulation in regards to films. A movie that makes you think is the opposite of boring, although simple-minded folk will inevitably label it as such, IMO.

yeah, yeah, I`m proudly simple minded fan of Michael Bay`s amazingly good heart and splosions vs amazingly boring Malick except when I need to fall asleep.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Although I agree with your message and understand your intent, I would absolutely describe The Thin Red Line as visually stimulating. The cinematography is gorgeously rich and some of the sequences are breathtaking both aesthetically and aurally (Hans Zimmer score is beautiful and sometimes haunting, a real masterpiece). But yeah, TTRL is a film that makes you think most of all and it's musings on the destructive nature of war, both physically and mentally and the humanity it costs are well worth muling over. It's strange to think Pvt. Witt was not originally the focus of the narrative as he is one of my favourite movie characters. I'm certainly not ashamed to admit I've cried a couple of times while watching this film.