Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I think Jean-Louis Triginant is really fantastic in this, too.Spill.com gave this movie Some Ol' Bullshit. I think i may have lost some respect for them now

Whaaaaaat? I gotta go listen to that review. How many times did they call critics idiots for liking something they didn't in that review?

Whaaaaaat? I gotta go listen to that review. How many times did they call critics idiots for liking something they didn't in that review?

After watching the movie that review is pretty embarrassing. How tiny are their attention spans if they get so bored watching this?

After watching the movie that review is pretty embarrassing. How tiny are their attention spans if they get so bored watching this?

I just started listening, the first thing they say is "hurry up and fucking die already!" I like the Spill Crew but I'm probably not gonna have fun with this review. :lol:

I just started listening, the first thing they say is "hurry up and fucking die already!" I like the Spill Crew but I'm probably not gonna have fun with this review. :lol:

BTW, I'm really starting to hate Leon lol. Its as if he's deliberately hating every good movie that comes out

Absolutely. He's been like that for ages. I wish Korey was on this review... maybe he'd be the one talking some sense like on the Holy Motors/ZDT reviews.

Fuck Leon, seriously. Its almost comical how he dislikes pretty much everything that gets acclaim of some kind

I think Jean-Louis Triginant is really fantastic in this, too.Spill.com gave this movie Some Ol' Bullshit. I think i may have lost some respect for them now

yeah. Jean-Louis Trintignant is almost as good as Riva. It really is saying something when the worst performance in the film is Isabella Huppert who is one of my all time faves. (Not that she wasn't brilliant as well)And should I read that Spill review or will I just go ballistic?
  • Like 1

So dumb question but....

did he die at the end and did he kill the pigeon?

He let the pigeon go, and yes he died. My interpretation is that he committed suicide by jumping out the window hence why it was open. He basically killed Anne, and then left her there on the bed while he had the internal angst. The pigeon represented almost his conscience and by setting that free after it'd been captured he comes to terms almost with what he decides. He then hallucinates/imagines Anne alive again and them leaving the house together is metaphorically both of them leaving the world of the living and journeying on to the next (if you believe in that) or just reunited in death.

The ending was a cynical ending, representing how the real world works almost. There's no picture perfect ending in real life and Amour recognises that. Eva sits there in this newly inherited house (she was looking for a house) and she feels relieved almost to be relieved of the burden that her mother's illness is, but that emptiness you feel also perfectly reflects the empty space in her heart now. It's all such a perfect blend of many different aspects.

And i think that an interesting pair of movies to watch Amour with would be Hope Springs, and Scenes from a Marriage. In the order of Springs, Marriage, and finally Amour.

Edited by riczhang

He let the pigeon go, and yes he died. My interpretation is that he committed suicide by jumping out the window hence why it was open. He basically killed Anne, and then left her there on the bed while he had the internal angst. The pigeon represented almost his conscience and by setting that free after it'd been captured he comes to terms almost with what he decides. He then hallucinates/imagines Anne alive again and them leaving the house together is metaphorically both of them leaving the world of the living and journeying on to the next (if you believe in that) or just reunited in death.

Yes, I kind of figured that

part where she tells him to put his jacket on meant that they had been reunited. But I wasn't 100% sure. I know in the letter he says he let the pigeon go, but again I wasn't sure if he actually did