Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Isn't he notoriously obsessed with nabbing an Oscar? It explains a lot of his film choices...

I`m sorry but choosing great roles and telling people "`im the best and you should vote for me" are two different things. Leo doesn`t campaign much or at all. Even his haters give him that much. He chooses quality roles that certainly put him in Oscar conversation. But he isn`t butt-kissing his way into noms and wins.Now, let me tell you this. Do you really think that he couldn`t pull a rank and demand that he is campaigned in BSA alone? Yes he could. ecially since Waltz is a co-lead and should have been placed in that category as originally devised (before critics started putting him in BSA). After all, Leo`s face has been heavily used and still is in DU promotion since he`s the biggest draw among actors in the movie.But considering that he couldn`t pull an Oscar and BAFTA noms nor GG win shows that he didn`t make such demands.Now, if he ever gets Time cover "When will Leo finally get the Oscar?" and calls a present or former president to vouch for him or whatever than we can talk about desperation. But picking quality roles is not that. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Edgar last year was Oscar begging. DU isn't.

How was J Edgar Oscar begging when he barely campaigned that one too? You people cannot make a distinction between prestige roles and Oscar begging. Oscar begging is what happens off the big screen - what they say in interviews, on talk shows, schmoozing, parties, advertising,etc. Melissa Leo ads = Oscar begging. Hilary Swank`s trailer park girl talk = Oscar begging. Winslet`s "Best Actress" Time cover = Oscar begging. Etc. You`ve heard in GG and CC winner`s speeches a lot of Oscar begging. It isn`t the same as just playing a baity part or playing a baity part and campaigning in reasonable measure. Begging is when campaigning behavior becomes tacky. He hasn`t crossed the line yet. Edited by fishnets

He didn't campaign because everyone said that he sucked and the movie sucked even more. You bet he was disappointed that this didn't turn out to be his Oscar Sawn Song.

Do you even hear yourself? First you say he begged for Oscar than admit he didn`t campaign because he felt he wasn`t up to snuff, although he did get good reviews while the movie was panned.Now, if he wanted Oscar so badly wouldn`t he campaign regardless? That didn`t prevent Glenn Close from campaigning her ass off for Albert Noobs although that movie and performence illicit chuckles. I mena, that was defacto terrible movie, terrible make-up and terrible performamce.You just won`t admit that begging for Oscars means much more than signing up for baity role. KK wants Oscar but she hasn`t done anything campaign-wise that qualifies as begging. We just don`t agree about what begging means, I guess.

Did Argo get an editing nomination? It definitely deserved one

Yes.And yeah, Fish we don't agree on the definition of begging. I'll readily admit that Meryl did The Iron Lady and the movie was made for no other purpose than to win her an Oscar. That's why I'm so happy she's doing August. It's something really new for her.

IMO, at this moment, there`s no bigger begging than bringing Clinton to present your movie. Despite the fact that support is soft and other movies and directors are deemed better. That`s begging. Admitting that you weren`t great in a role made for the Oscars by cutting campaigning short or altogether is not begging. Also, Streep was very supportive of Davies throughout IL camapign so that isn`t begging either. Baity as fuck made-for-Oscars-role? Sure. Tacky self-serving campaigning? Nope. So no begging from my POV.

Leo's not too worried since he thinks he's gonna pick it up next year. According to Tapley, Leo told him Wolf of Wall Street was "the best work he's ever done." and I can believe that. Was a VERY showy role from what I got from reading the script.

• Like 2

I think that Streep's campaign last year was classy and it kinda negates the Oscar begging role, but then again it's Streep and he can do no wrong. And god, Clinton was Oscar campaigning at its least classiest in years. Don't think anyone's sunk this low since the Oscars banned Harvey's lavish parties.

Leo's not too worried since he thinks he's gonna pick it up next year. According to Tapley, Leo told him Wolf of Wall Street was "the best work he's ever done." and I can believe that. Was a VERY showy role from what I got from reading the script.

That's what was said about Edgar as well. But at least this time the movie will be good.

Huh? Why did you bring Streep into this, they weren't in the same movie

His performance probably would've gotten more traction but Streep's bio-pic performance which began screening around the time Edgar got released upstaged his buzz to a certain extent.

His performance probably would've gotten more traction but Streep's bio-pic performance which began screening around the time Edgar got released upstaged his buzz to a certain extent.

But what does that have to do with me liking his performance?