The Stingray

Biggest Oscar snubs this year.

Biggest Oscar snubs.  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think were the biggest Oscar snubs this year?

• Moonrise Kingdom not getting Best Picture
    • Skyfall not getting Best Picture
    • Ben Affleck not getting Best Director
    • Kathryn Bigelow not getting Best Director
    • Tom Hooper not getting Best Director
    • Quentin Tarantino not getting Best Director
    • John Hawkes not getting Best Actor
    • Marion Cotillard not getting Best Actress
    • Javier Bardem not getting Best Supporting Actor
    • Leonardo DiCaprio not getting Best Supporting Actor
    • Looper not getting Best Original Screenplay
    • The Perks of Being a Wallflower not getting Best Adapted Screenplay
    • The Intouchables not getting Best Foreign Language Film
    • Beasts of the Southern Wild not getting Best Original Score
    • Cloud Atlas not getting anything
    • The Dark Knight Rises not getting anything
    • Other

I always assumed the country where the film is made is the one who choose what a film that was produced in their country. 

It's normally about the nationality of the director, and the countries where the money came from. There used to be a rule where it said that it also had to be in the language of the nominating country but that was scrapped after protest. And sometimes countries take turns, especially European ones, with directors from multiple nationalities. For example Das Weisse Bande the last Haneke film was submitted by Germany. 

It's normally about the nationality of the director, and the countries where the money came from. There used to be a rule where it said that it also had to be in the language of the nominating country but that was scrapped after protest. And sometimes countries take turns, especially European ones, with directors from multiple nationalities. For example Das Weisse Bande the last Haneke film was submitted by Germany. 

I think I heard of this old rule which is why I always assumed it came from the country where it was produced. 

But wasnt Winstead good I thought it was probably her best performance ever

Well when your magnum opus is Scott Pilgrim, it's not a high bar to top. :P

But, I did like her. She was good, but not great. I think I have her in my top 15 or 20. 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

CA was never really gonna get anything except Maybe VFX. Makeup is 3 slots so it wasn't gonna make it there. Skyfall on the other hand, was good enough for the line-up, and also had a very legitimate chance in making the line-up. Therefore, it's a much bigger snub. I'd rank a lot of snubs above CA, including Affleck Bigelow and etc. The CA snub is a completely subjective, while Skyfall, Affleck, Bigelow and etc are objective snubs.

Atlas wasn't going anywhere. The Academy hated the film, and I'm not even joking. There's a few, very few, who really love it, but most people strongly disliked it. It was DOA for awards.

Strangely, it seems that only the Academy hated that movie. People around here seem to love it, for a few exceptions. But no, Skyfall wasn't THAT good... It was a major disappointment for me after reading reviews saying it was the best movie ever and stuff, and then it turned out to be just a mediocre movie for me. Meh. Cloud Atlas was much, much better than Skyfall and if a movie deserved a Best Picture nomination it's not Skyfall, but Atlas.

Critics weren't hot on it either. In reality it's probably only the armchair critics and the Internet fanboy crowd that really loved Atlas. And no. Skyfall was infinitessimaly better than Atlas. And SF definitely deserved a BP nom. But if we're talkin subjectively the biggest snubs in BP by far are Holy Motors, Oslo August 31st, A Royal Affair, Anna Karenina, and of course Skyfall

Imo CA getting nothing is a much bigger snub than Skyfall not getting best picture. Skyfall was good, but not that good.

In my opinion it was that good and deserved a place more than a couple of other nominations (Les Mis off the top of my head). I loved that it was far more interested in the characters than the usual explosive action (compared to other recent bond fares anyway). The performances were top notch, the characters were solid, and the climax was a breath of fresh air for a Bond film (It's not often you find the bad guys attempting to infiltrate Bond's fortress). To be honest I find very little to dislike about Skyfall.  

But I do indeed agree that CA not getting anything is still indeed a huge snub, especially in regards to the film's technical feats. The editing above all was top notch, weaving the stories together without ever intruding on the action and keeping a solid pace throughout. And the music is some of the best I've heard in years (probably the best since the trio released the 'Perfume: Story of a Murderer' OST).

Atlas wasn't going anywhere. The Academy hated the film, and I'm not even joking. There's a few, very few, who really love it, but most people strongly disliked it. It was DOA for awards.

But I'm talking technical stuff here. Revenge of the Fallen is one of the worst blockbusters of the past 10 years, and it still got a nod for sound mixing.