BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

Pompeii did almost €1m last weekend. It should be around €2.5m by now...

Which is solid, but it could have done more if it wasn't being released 2 and a half months after America.

By the way, those numbers mean 2.09 million € weekend and 50.07 million € cume for 8AV. That should imply about 8.2-8.3 million admissions, if I am not wrong. Already 3rd in adjusted ranking. Let's see how it holds from now, but it should try to reach 60 million €, what should be enough to surpass Avatar as the 2nd highest attended.

• Like 1

Spanish sources says the drop of 8AV is only 17% as it had made 3.8M$ this weekend. ¿Who is wrong here? The source is @info_cine

That makes more sense. As Henry said before, the total of the week would be 8 million $, and a 3.8 million weekend would imply a 52% weekdays / 48% weekend. Consdering there have been a national holiday on Thursday, it would be reasonable. If the weekend had been of 2.8, the split would be 65/35, a bit unrealistic. Previous week, without any holiday, the split was 42% weekdays / 58% weekend. I bet for the 3.8 million $ figure.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

http://www.rentrak.com/section/movies_and_tv_everywhere/top_entertainment_rankings.html

8 Apellidos Vascos:$2.9m/$69.6m-40%

Spanish sources says the drop of 8AV is only 17% as it had made 3.8M$ this weekend. ¿Who is wrong here? The source is @info_cine

That makes more sense. As Henry said before, the total of the week would be 8 million $, and a 3.8 million weekend would imply a 52% weekdays / 48% weekend. Consdering there have been a national holiday on Thursday, it would be reasonable. If the weekend had been of 2.8, the split would be 65/35, a bit unrealistic. Previous week, without any holiday, the split was 42% weekdays / 58% weekend. I bet for the 3.8 million $ figure.

You are right. It was a typing mistake ;-)$3.9m
  • Like 1

7th wknd: 3,525,705 € (414,512 adm) - 57,175,098 € (7,268,694 adm) - 12% drop

8th wknd: 2,983,405 € (343,500 adm) - 61,322,243 € (7,746,197 adm) - 15% drop

9th wknd: 2,293,732 € (262,142 adm) - 64,451,915 € (8,106,543 adm) - 25% drop

8 apellidos vascos:

7th wknd: 3,405,244 € (about 475,000 adm) - 44,350,000 € (about 7,645,000 adm) - 23% drop

8th wknd: 2,600,000 € (about 400,000 adm) - 50,000,000 € (about 8,300,000 adm) - 24% drop

9th wknd: ???

Following the same path than Avatar, it would finish with about 61 million € and 10 million admissions, more or less.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

50 millon € is about 70 million $. To put into perspective, this is like if a movie in US had grossed about 875 million $.

That is a very random perspecitve:

Spain got 47.3M people => USA and Canada TOT of 351.3M people so if you do: 315.3/47.3 you get 7.43 multiplier.

That makes 520M if it would be in the USA so don't over extand plz, be a bit objective. ^^ Btw 520M is still much!

That is a very random perspecitve:

Spain got 47.3M people => USA and Canada TOT of 351.3M people so if you do: 315.3/47.3 you get 7.43 multiplier.

That makes 520M if it would be in the USA so don't over extand plz, be a bit objective. ^^ Btw 520M is still much!

It does not work in that way. You can not compare with the population, but with box office market of each country. In that way, you could say that a movie in China should make 3.5 times more than USA to be a similar success... 

Last year, US market grossed 10.9 billion and Spain about 700 million $. That is a 15.57 multiplier. But I do not consider a so high multiplier because crisis has affected the total gross. In 2004, when we had the biggest year ever, the multiplier with US was 10. I have taken an average of last 10 years and it is, more or less, 12.5.

And other thing you can consider: we are talking about a movie that will surpass Avatar as the second biggest movie adjusted in Spain. It is like Star Wars: Episode IV in USA.

Said this, there is a thread where we discuss this.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/1216-putting-international-bo-numbers-in-perspective/

Edited by peludo

It does not work in that way. You can not compare with the population, but with box office market of each country. In that way, you could say that a movie in China should make 3.5 times more than USA to be a similar success... 

Last year, US market grossed 10.9 billion and Spain about 700 million $. That is a 15.57 multiplier. But I do not consider a so high multiplier because crisis has affected the total gross. In 2004, when we had the biggest year ever, the multiplier with US was 10. I have taken an average of last 10 years and it is, more or less, 12.5.

And other thing you can consider: we are talking about a movie that will surpass Avatar as the second biggest movie adjusted in Spain. It is like Star Wars: Episode IV in USA.

Said this, there is a thread where we discuss this.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/1216-putting-international-bo-numbers-in-perspective/

You have to compare the population. It's not because the spanish people don't got to the movie as often as the american that you should take that in count. It's just like BBP you need to look at it Per Captita because so you can see how good they realy done it. 

Because if i had a country were only 50 people a year go to the cinema and than i got a movie who get 75 people at once, that doesn't mean i simply can say: amarican boxoffice 11B so my total box office did go x1.5 so my movie would bring 16.5B in America.

I know it's a stupid example but it's just to show you I don't think you can work like that. 

So I think you could best look at the admission/total population to see how populair a movie realy is, but I admit that in a country were people don't go to the cinema that often some numbers may even be more overweliming but in a rational point of view I doesn't realy mathers, the movie going trend in a country.

Edited by pepsa

You have to compare the population. It's not because the spanish people don't got to the movie as often as the american that you should take that in count. It's just like BBP you need to look at it Per Captita because so you can see how good they realy done it. 

Because if i had a country were only 50 people a year go to the cinema and than i got a movie who get 75 people at once, that doesn't mean i simply can say: amarican boxoffice 11B so my total box office did go x1.5 so my movie would bring 16.5B in America.

I know it's a stupid example but it's just to show you I don't think you can work like that. 

So I think you could best look at the admission/total population to see how populair a movie realy is, but I admit that in a country were people don't go to the cinema that often some numbers may even be more overweliming but in a rational point of view I doesn't realy mathers, the movie going trend in a country.

IMO, a simple population comparison is not fair. I do not think that Americans (or other nationality) love more movies than Spaniards. You should take into account the relation between GDP per capita and ticket price. The effort in each country to go to theaters is different if you compare salaries and ticket prices. In Spain, tickets are more expensive (about 9-10$) than in US, and we have lower salaries. The effort to go to cinema in Spain is bigger than in USA, so in the same conditions we can not go the same times to cinemas than Americans. Each market adapt itself to the conditions of the country, not just by a mere population count. For that reason, if a movie makes 70 million $ (for the moment) in a 700 million $ yearly market is an event comparable to 900-1 billion in US.

For example, with your system, Frozen's Japanese run is not so impressive. It has sold 12.7 million admissions for the moment, which means exactly a 10% of the Japanese population (about 127 million). That would mean about 35 million admissions in US, which currently means about 280 million in USA (I take 8$ as average ticket price in US). It is a good number, but nothing impressive. It still has to sell lots of admissions, but with how many it will finish, 20 million? That means about a 16% of the population. In USA it means 448 million $ (56 million admissions). Great number, but no record. And we all know that what Frozen is doing in Japan is monstruous, one of the most impressive runs we have ever seen, independently of the country. It must be compared to market size, not with country population. The market adapts to peculiarities of the country and tell you how big is a movie in relation to the rest of the market.

• Like 2